• TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    Hi peeps,

I know you will have told us some of this before, but I'm really interested to know why people using the old TSR app are still doing so now. i.e. why aren't you using the new app yet.

Thanks for your feedback

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisN)
    Hi peeps,

I know you will have told us some of this before, but I'm really interested to know why people using the old TSR app are still doing so now.

Thanks for your feedback

Personally, basically for all the reasons I mentioned before. The colour scheme is annoying at night, space efficiency is a bit crap since on the old app you can see 5-6 posts without scrolling but new one it's only 2-3. Don't know if it's been fixed yet but there's also no indication on the new app for the posts you've already read. If I check back to see if there were any new answers, I don't want to have to keep going into the post and looking for the last reply.

Writing this out also, there's a lot less space for typing messages and no automatic capitalisation on sentences
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I find the old app has more functionality; I like the fact I can mark PMs as unread, for instance, as it means I can come back to non-urgent things later, which I often do. The same is true for the Support Team side of things in terms of functionality, which the new app doesn't support yet.

Also, I find the old app is just generally nicer for browsing; I find the new app frustrating to look through threads/sections with because I can see so little of the content in comparison

I can give a more detailed answer than this if needed though? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Hi peeps,

I know you will have told us some of this before, but I'm really interested to know why people using the old TSR app are still doing so now. i.e. why aren't you using the new app yet.

Thanks for your feedback

Well, it is much easier to browse around and reply for me. The new app looks fancy but it lacks practicability - trying to find a specific post is painful, and everything looks too big and chunky.

I'll elaborate later on if I'm in the mood.

ReputationRep:
    Hi peeps,

Thanks for your feedback

Well I think I’m up to date and everything after joining relatively recently and I only use the app. Can you please make it so that when you click a link to a page on the site it just takes you to the page on the app or else there’s no point in the app
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    It's just a lot easier to use and I think I'm just used to it. Please don't get rid of it.

Navigation and posting is simple, as little as possible on the page that gets the job done. I still don't like the idea of a side scrolling navigation feature to switch between forums.

Also if you view all threads under "Latest", it doesn't tell you which forum the thread is in. Just something I look for since I usually post in certain forums.

ReputationRep:
    The old app is dilapidated and was abandoned years ago, but the new app is ugly and has laughably little amount of features.

Many parts of the old app don't work very well anymore, but it is still more useful (feature-wise) than the new one. Plus the layout is much better.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Hi peeps,

Thanks for your feedback

Fundamentally the much higher density of visible content on the old app beats the new one into a cocked hat.

Also the old app is much clearer about unread/read threads.

And it tells me the forum hosting the thread in the Favourite Topics or Latest Topics listings.

Old app Favourite Forum listing shows me if a forum contains unread threads. (And let's me mark a forum as read.) The new app doesn't.

The reply box on the new app is too small to be usuable.

I can add more thoughts later...
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I have actually downloaded the new app now...
    But I'm still using the old app more so I'll feedback anyway
    I'm still using it for a variety of reasons, mostly minor and will get fixed as the new app is developed anyway
    First reason is really that I don't like change so nothing you can do about that!
    I like the fact that it gives me notifications saying "x subscribed threads unread" so I actually think I procrastinate less with it as I know if I haven't got a notification then not much new stuff has happened.
    I still can't tell the difference between threads with unread posts and threads without unread posts on the new app.
    I find the old app works a lot faster (probably because it doesn't have the extra nice things like pictures though)!
    I prefer the consistent approach to navigating the forums on the old app. Especially when there's several layers of sub forums, I'm easily confused by when we swipe and when you scroll, whereas the old app just came up with the sub forums as a list then you click to go to the next layer.
    There's no share thread option on the new app yet which makes it more difficult when I want to link another thread
    When you click on a link to another TSR thread it opens in the browser, not the app and then takes ages to come back.
    No moving threads or anything on the new app (although it's stopped working on the old app anyway :lol:)
    I know it's on the list of things to be fixed, but the permissions issues on the new app mean it's easier just to use the old one sometimes.
    I don't like the reply box in the new app, it's too small and easy to click off it.
    Multi quote is much more tempermental on the new app than the old one (although it's nice to be able to add another quote once you've added in several and written responses to them.
    I would say that quite a few of these are very different to how I would have used the app for before I became CA/ST though so feel free to ignore them

Not trying to be moany here...there are aspects of the new app I really like (eg. notifications , actually being able to start new threads), I'm just an old fogey who doesn't like change :shakecane: (at 16 :lol:)
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I can't use the new one, simple as that as my phone didn't get the update, and thinks the old app is the only one there, but bizarrely the new icon shows on Google Play
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    The new one seems rather buggy, for instance PMs I read in it still show as unread, if I mark them as read they still show as unread, and even if I look at them in the old app or in the browser they still show as unread.

I believe it has now been updated so you can edit in the new one, but for ages I would go on the old one just to edit posts

I also now get on the new app that when typing in the reply box the line is misaligned by about 20% of a line, i.e. there is white space (or the previous line) showing at the top of the reply box and part of the current line is blocked by the keyboard

There is also a lack of space when replying and it is very awkward to reply to things if you need to keep going up and down to look at specific points made.

As has been mentioned there are certainly improvements such as having notifications and not having the app crash whenever you try to start a new thread, but for a lot of things it just is not as good/still full of bugs.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DreamlinerFinder)
    I can't use the new one, simple as that as my phone didn't get the update, and thinks the old app is the only one there, but bizarrely the new icon shows on Google Play
    The new icon shows for both for me Just to confuse us!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    I still can't really use it until open into browser is an option with posts. It's impossible to moderate with for ST, of course, and for the parts that other people have mentioned are making it difficult to use there's no simple way around it like there was with the old one in being able ot just open into browser
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Mine's not been working the last couple of weeks driving me nuts. But I mostly use it for the mod tools, moving threads is almost impossible individually on the mobile site and not that much better on the main one when you're doing loads of them. You look at Advice on everyday issues at the minute it's just a complete mess. Other than that, partly habit, partly just quicker and easier- it shows what I've read and not read and updates that list when I go back on the others which for me is massive. That's probably the main reason I haven't switched over to the new one tbh, although the notifications on there are brilliant and functionality is getting there now.

ReputationRep:
    Hi peeps,

Thanks for your feedback

****ing phone says not compatible with my phone. But I'm getting new one for Crimbo

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your feedback. Please keep it coming.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Wait. What new App?
    • Section Leader
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I find the forums easier to navigate in terms of finding subforums and threads. Also I don’t have space on my phone for the new app at the moment, I use it on my iPad mainly
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    Wait. What new App?
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/news/tsr-mobile-app

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.