Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XxxvatxxX)
    Hi!

I was just wondering how lenient Oxbridge are if you do not get like 1 of your grades and miss it? As they aren't the type of university that have any sorts of clearances what happens if you miss a grade? Do they still accept you or just have an empty space at where you could have been?

Haha, it's just something I have always wondered so would be nice to actually know what they do

Thanks!
    Some very good posts in here :yes:

As has been said, they do very occasionally take in someone who missed the grades (this happened with me!) but these things are highly individual and are judged on a case-by-case basis.

It's not even the case that certain tutors who might be "more forgiving" will always take students who miss the grades in. My college tutor took me in though I'd missed my offer, but the year before and a few years after I started, he refused to take in people who had missed the offer! :iiam:

So people shouldn't count on Oxford or Cambridge being lenient on this :nah:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Some very good posts in here :yes:

As has been said, they do very occasionally take in someone who missed the grades (this happened with me!) but these things are highly individual and are judged on a case-by-case basis.

It's not even the case that certain tutors who might be "more forgiving" will always take students who miss the grades in. My college tutor took me in though I'd missed my offer, but the year before and a few years after I started, he refused to take in people who had missed the offer! :iiam:

So people shouldn't count on Oxford or Cambridge being lenient on this :nah:
    Thank you a lot for this!

Now that I am delving in so deep in all this I realise that even though I want to apply to one I honestly do not know..My heart was set on Oxford but Cambridge take soo many more people!

Argh, I am still far away from making my decision , as I'm just being in Year 12 haha, will just wait I guess
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XxxvatxxX)
    Thank you a lot for this!

Now that I am delving in so deep in all this I realise that even though I want to apply to one I honestly do not know..My heart was set on Oxford but Cambridge take soo many more people!

Argh, I am still far away from making my decision , as I'm just being in Year 12 haha, will just wait I guess
    Apply for the course you prefer, not the admissions stats.

You will be studying the course for 3+ years (and if it's medicine, a LOT longer). Don't concern yourself with admissions stats - they are a distraction. Focus on finding the right course(s) at a university(ies) you like.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.