Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which are the most lucrative/competitive roles in the Big 4? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Which roles tend to be the highest paid?

Which roles tend to give you the best opportunities if you want to move in other sectors (banks, etc) or companies?

By roles, I'm talking about: audit, assurance, actuary, consulting, deals, financial advisory, technology, tax, etc.....

ReputationRep:
    CEO
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepless steve)
    Which roles tend to be the highest paid?

Which roles tend to give you the best opportunities if you want to move in other sectors (banks, etc) or companies?

By roles, I'm talking about: audit, assurance, actuary, consulting, deals, financial advisory, technology, tax, etc.....
    strategy consulting
    deals/corporate finance/TAS
    normal consulting/advisory/actuarial
    audit/tax

everything else

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    strategy consulting
    deals/corporate finance/TAS
    normal consulting/advisory/actuarial
    audit/tax

everything else

Posted from TSR Mobile
    In that order? So strategy consulting is the most lucrative, then corporate finance, etc?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    In that order? So strategy consulting is the most lucrative, then corporate finance, etc?
    roughly, yes. corp fin doesn't seem to pay as well as I thought after speaking to a few people in the role. they're definitely the two highest paying roles though.

ReputationRep:
    roughly, yes. corp fin doesn't seem to pay as well as I thought after speaking to a few people in the role. they're definitely the two highest paying roles though.
    By the way, is audit the same as 'assurance'? They're both accountancy aren't they?

what do you think about starting off in audit/assurance, getting the ACA qualification and then moving into consulting? Is it fairly easy to do?

Not sure if my worries are misplaced, but I fear just doing consulting wouldn't leave me with any firm skills. Whereas if I start off in accounting and get the ACA, if the economy screws up, I've at least got something extra to fall back on.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    By the way, is audit the same as 'assurance'? They're both accountancy aren't they?

what do you think about starting off in audit/assurance, getting the ACA qualification and then moving into consulting? Is it fairly easy to do?

Not sure if my worries are misplaced, but I fear just doing consulting wouldn't leave me with any firm skills. Whereas if I start off in accounting and get the ACA, if the economy screws up, I've at least got something extra to fall back on.
    yes.

I'm not sure how easy that switch is tbh.

The ACA is great but ultimately is treasured for very different roles to the skillset consulting offers. ACAs here do tend to get a bit more interest from the finance world - i.e. your banks, asset managers etc. Which is a plus but it's still just a certification and certainly not the be all and end all of professional development.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why is accounting so low?

surely after you complete the aca qualification, you'll be making more than consultants and corporate finance people, not to mention as well that investment banks love hiring accountants, so the exit opportunities to work are ££££££££££££
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaynnmmmhouse)

surely after you complete the aca qualification, you'll be making more than consultants and corporate finance people, not to mention as well that investment banks love hiring accountants, so the exit opportunities to work are ££££££££££££
    some exit opps pay well sure, but staying at a big4 and then going into traditional accounting roles would compensate a lot lower than what's available to people in corpfin or consulting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaynnmmmhouse)

The starting salary isn't as high as banking or consulting but remember that finance directors make a lot and a lot of accounting jobs are outside London where the cost of living is far lower. Same can't be said for banking

ReputationRep:
    some exit opps pay well sure, but staying at a big4 and then going into traditional accounting roles would compensate a lot lower than what's available to people in corpfin or consulting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So basically, accounting would only pay more in the long run compared to consulting if you go into investment banking?

ReputationRep:
    CEO like HHH or Vince McMahon
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    So basically, accounting would only pay more in the long run compared to consulting if you go into investment banking?
    yh

ReputationRep:
    For Deloitte, how do these grad roles compare in terms of competitiveness of getting the job, money, and exit opportunities?

Financial Advisory (restructuring, transaction, M&A, etc)

vs

Strategy and Operations Consulting, Monitor Deloitte

Would you say that Financial Advisory is better for going into Investment Banking later on?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    For Deloitte, how do these grad roles compare in terms of competitiveness of getting the job, money, and exit opportunities?

Financial Advisory (restructuring, transaction, M&A, etc)

vs

Strategy and Operations Consulting, Monitor Deloitte

Would you say that Financial Advisory is better for going into Investment Banking later on?
    yes

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 24, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.