The Student Room Group

Unsure on my future - uni???!!!!

I'm in my 2nd year of college and i'm really struggling to decide on my future. I do 3 a levels and i don't think i want to do anything with them in regard to uni. However i am sure 100% that i want to go to uni, but due to it being so late on in the year I think i'll be taking a gap year.

The idea of law always comes back to me and i know some universities prefer you not to have it at a level, which is good in my case. Don't suppose anyone can suggest any ideas, or tell me more about law at degree level?
Original post by charlxxxx
I'm in my 2nd year of college and i'm really struggling to decide on my future. I do 3 a levels and i don't think i want to do anything with them in regard to uni. However i am sure 100% that i want to go to uni, but due to it being so late on in the year I think i'll be taking a gap year.

The idea of law always comes back to me and i know some universities prefer you not to have it at a level, which is good in my case. Don't suppose anyone can suggest any ideas, or tell me more about law at degree level?
Hiya:hi:

I've moved your thread into this sub-forum so that you'll hopefully get the replies you're after.:smile:

In terms of your situation, I have one question: what's your career plan?

MR:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by 04MR17
Hiya:hi:

I've moved your thread into this sub-forum so that you'll hopefully get the replies you're after.:smile:

In terms of your situation, I have one question: what's your career plan?

MR:smile:

um, well to be honest i don't have one and this is my problem. im driving myself crazy just trying to think as far as uni
um, well to be honest i don't have one and this is my problem. im driving myself crazy just trying to think as far as uni
Okay. The main problem is you should think backwards instead of forward (this is my opinion by the way). What's your dream job? What do I need to get there?
Reply 4
Original post by 04MR17
Okay. The main problem is you should think backwards instead of forward (this is my opinion by the way). What's your dream job? What do I need to get there?

i don't have a specific dream job but i'd say i have a couple of ideas. And something involving law is one of them for sure
i don't have a specific dream job but i'd say i have a couple of ideas. And something involving law is one of them for sure
If all your ideas are in the same sort of region then it's not really a problem.

What are your reservations about university?
Reply 6
Original post by 04MR17
If all your ideas are in the same sort of region then it's not really a problem.

What are your reservations about university?

i don't quite understand what you mean
i don't quite understand what you mean
Why are you unsure about going to university?

My other comment was about if you're undecided about what you want to do, but they're all more or less in the same sort of subject area, then that might not be a problem if you can't decide what to do next.:smile:
Reply 8
Original post by 04MR17
Why are you unsure about going to university?

My other comment was about if you're undecided about what you want to do, but they're all more or less in the same sort of subject area, then that might not be a problem if you can't decide what to do next.:smile:

I just want to be certain on what i want to study, as im so unsure and have been for ages. Im just finding it difficult to come to a final decision without changing my mind again
I just want to be certain on what i want to study, as im so unsure and have been for ages. Im just finding it difficult to come to a final decision without changing my mind again
That's understandable, and hopefully someone here will help.:smile:
I have the same problem!
Dear OP and anyone else in the same situation. Don't let your subjects at A-Level define what you have to do for the rest of you're life! I did business at A-Level and have since applied to do archaeology after taking a few years out to get my head sorted and find out what I wanted to do in life. Suffice to say because I demonstrated strong enthusiasim and motivation in my personal statement about my love for history, I have been given unconditional offers for archaeology at York, Manchester, Newcastle and Sheffield! Honestly as long as you present yourself in he right manner and come across as a high achiever for anything you set you're mind to, then there really aren't any limits! I wish you all the best!
Reply 12
Original post by angelofessence
Dear OP and anyone else in the same situation. Don't let your subjects at A-Level define what you have to do for the rest of you're life! I did business at A-Level and have since applied to do archaeology after taking a few years out to get my head sorted and find out what I wanted to do in life. Suffice to say because I demonstrated strong enthusiasim and motivation in my personal statement about my love for history, I have been given unconditional offers for archaeology at York, Manchester, Newcastle and Sheffield! Honestly as long as you present yourself in he right manner and come across as a high achiever for anything you set you're mind to, then there really aren't any limits! I wish you all the best!

Hi, thank you!! But if you don't mind me asking, what did you do during your years out of education?
Hi, thank you!! But if you don't mind me asking, what did you do during your years out of education?

I worked! I got myself a job in an opticians to begin with, however they were the worst employer to ever work for (specsavers) so I've been a bar supervisor ever since. It's ok for what it is but I wouldn't want to do it forever. I've been travelling in the meantime as well, I went to Cuba and Zimbabwe for a bit, and now I'm going to Japan in November! Honestly it was worth me taking the time out, it gave me fresh perspective and opened up so many doors that I wouldn't have done if I had stuck with the same subject! I did the whole traditional 'go straight to uni after college' and it just burnt me out entirely! I was in 1st year for economics at Hull, however the course was definitely draining the life out of me and I didn't like the uni for a number of reasons. So now here I am, 22 (be 23 when I start) and going back to uni with full steam ahead and wanting to do this now more than ever!
Reply 14
Original post by angelofessence
I worked! I got myself a job in an opticians to begin with, however they were the worst employer to ever work for (specsavers) so I've been a bar supervisor ever since. It's ok for what it is but I wouldn't want to do it forever. I've been travelling in the meantime as well, I went to Cuba and Zimbabwe for a bit, and now I'm going to Japan in November! Honestly it was worth me taking the time out, it gave me fresh perspective and opened up so many doors that I wouldn't have done if I had stuck with the same subject! I did the whole traditional 'go straight to uni after college' and it just burnt me out entirely! I was in 1st year for economics at Hull, however the course was definitely draining the life out of me and I didn't like the uni for a number of reasons. So now here I am, 22 (be 23 when I start) and going back to uni with full steam ahead and wanting to do this now more than ever!

Wow that sounds amazing! Im more than likely taking a gap year because im so undecided on what i want to study. I've had so many people tell me that i probably won't go back to uni after having time out of education, so that was very reassuring to hear!

Quick Reply

Latest