The Student Room Group

I am a broken man

I am a complete broken man.

I live in squalor and obscurity. I'm overcome with depression and I can't see a way out. I just don't see how I'm going to overcome this deep **** that I am in.

Getting laid doesn't help. Reading doesn't help. No Fap doesn't help. Immersing in work doesn't help. Trying to laugh about it doesn't help. Nothing helps.

Scroll to see replies

Anti depressants will help. Make an appointment to see your GP.
Have you tried watching anime
Original post by Dekuyper

I live in squalor and obscurity. I'm overcome with depression and I can't see a way out. I just don't see how I'm going to overcome this deep **** that I am in.

Getting laid doesn't help. Reading doesn't help. No Fap doesn't help. Immersing in work doesn't help. Trying to laugh about it doesn't help. Nothing helps.

Go see a doctor before you harm yourself
Jokes. DO something that makes you happy, that you take comfort in, or maybe try to solve this condition. Try and solve it and prevent it from happening again.

Sorry if this piece of advice doesn't help since now that I've read it, doesn't make much sense without explaining.
Reply 5
Original post by markova21

I hate drugs.

They don't work for everyone and can have horrific side effects. OP start by giving up alcohol completely (this helped me). It's a natural depressant so it's not what you need if you already feel bad. Delete ALL Social media. It'll make you compare yourself to others and that's not good for you. Stay away from the news. Go outside and get some fresh air. Listen to music. Speak to people you care about. Just some ideas xx
Getting laid with random sluts won't do anything, do it with a girl you love in a relationship.
Reply 8
Original post by Samantha1223
They don't work for everyone and can have horrific side effects. OP start by giving up alcohol completely (this helped me). It's a natural depressant so it's not what you need if you already feel bad. Delete ALL Social media. It'll make you compare yourself to others and that's not good for you. Stay away from the news. Go outside and get some fresh air. Listen to music. Speak to people you care about. Just some ideas xx

Even if I could give up social media I would still compare myself to other people I saw at work or when I'm going about my day.

Alcohol is the only thing that dulls the pain. I usually put music on but it kick starts fantasy scenarios in my mind and I don't know how to stop it.
Alcohol is not your friend. You need to get regular outdoor exercise. Switch off all your screens.
Watching 'Rick and Morty' might help.. If not I suggest getting a job, saving lots of money, then taking a really long vacation across Asia. Travel, chill with some monks, climb some mountains, align your chakras, make love to mother nature, that sort of stuff x
Even if I could give up social media I would still compare myself to other people I saw at work or when I'm going about my day.

Alcohol is the only thing that dulls the pain. I usually put music on but it kick starts fantasy scenarios in my mind and I don't know how to stop it.

If you just tried giving it up for a month you will see a change. It is a depressant. I am speaking from experience here. It might temporarily dull the pain but it alters your brain chemistry in an unnatural way.

Agreed.

I love my antidepressants and ADHD meds lel. Totally reverted my personality back to how I was as a teenager, laughing and joking a lot. Before I got depressed.

I hate drugs.

you're kinda fukked then lol. If your brain is low on dopamine and you're not gonna fix it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 13
I like the title.

Do you have any good friends who you can spend quality time with? That might make you feel better.
I hate drugs.

Except you drink alcohol. Alcohol is a drug.

Anti-depressants don't work for everyone, but the evidence is that people who are suffering severe depression tend to get the most benefit.

If you are dead set against any such anti-depressants, then your GP will be able to suggest other things, perhaps Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, maybe counselling.

But if you don't want to be depressed anymore, you have to do something to change it. Nothing anyone on here says will actually change things. Making an appointment with the doctor is the first step
Original post by Samantha1223
It's a natural depressant so it's not what you need if you already feel bad

I agree that alcohol can be unhelpful, and that exercise and fresh air are good.

But alcohol being a depressant isn't "depress" in the same sense as clinical depression. They are completely different things.

Alcohol is a central nervous system depressant; it means they slow breathing, heart rate, metabolism. It doesn't mean they make you more depressed in the sense of clinical depression.

However, it is fair to say that alcohol is unhelpful when depressed, I just wanted to clarify the terminology.

I’ve had one of the worst days of my life today thanks to some kind of virus and several full blown panic attacks.

I’ve thrown up several times and even crapped myself.
Original post by Anonymous
I’ve had one of the worst days of my life today thanks to some kind of virus and several full blown panic attacks.

I’ve thrown up several times and even crapped myself.

😐 omg...
Original post by Salt Queen
😐 omg...

Yep fainted on the floor and crapped on the floor to I front of my partner. 🙁

Quick Reply

Latest