Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Firstly, I know this is in the wrong forum, but it is the only one where I can post anonymously. I'd rather not be identified with this post due to obvious embarrassment reasons. I also cba to create a fake alt account just to post this question

So, I am technichnically homeless, however I am not claiming any benefits or registered as homeless due to my mental health (I can't physically bring myself to contact the council or HMRC, my anxiety is just too bad). So, I am wondering, how do I go about my student finance application? Should I just use an address that I have access to and can collect mail from? and what about showing income etc?

Thank you for any replies

ReputationRep:
    Seek professional help
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Have you heard of reddit.com? It's a forum based website. On it, there's a subforum called 'homeless', where you can ask for advice on what to do if you're homeless and ways of getting by. Here's the link: https://www.reddit.com/r/homeless/

I sincerely hope you find the courage to contact support services - they are what you need right now. But if you seriously can't bring yourself to do that, this website is a start.

Good luck.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Firstly, I know this is in the wrong forum, but it is the only one where I can post anonymously. I'd rather not be identified with this post due to obvious embarrassment reasons. I also cba to create a fake alt account just to post this question

So, I am technichnically homeless, however I am not claiming any benefits or registered as homeless due to my mental health (I can't physically bring myself to contact the council or HMRC, my anxiety is just too bad). So, I am wondering, how do I go about my student finance application? Should I just use an address that I have access to and can collect mail from? and what about showing income etc?

I'm going to move this to Advice on Everyday Issues so it can hopefully be seen by people who can help you out. You can post anon in there.

I believe we also have a Student Finance forum where you can ask SF questions (don't hold me to that). You could ask them there or contact them by email for advice.

Sorry I can't help more and good luck. I know it's hard to step up and put yourself out there sometimes, but it sounds like talking to the right people about it could be a big help to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

Can you get to a Citizen's Advice Bureau? They can probably help and advise you best.
    If you can show that you are estranged from your parents/guardians, you don't need to show income as you will be assessed independently.
    I also recommend you go to the doctor so that you can get help managing your anxiety.

ReputationRep:
    If you can, try calling Childline (if you're under 19, if you're 18 you can still call!) or the Samaritans. I can't possibly understand what you're going through, but if you are able to bring yourself to do it, then please do! They're lovely people who genuinely want to help. I can give you a little advice but they might be better than I!

If you are not living at the address, it can be seen as fraudulent so please don't put that down! This is because they use the household income to determine what to give you. There is help available for homeless students. If you don't want to register yourself as homeless, why not try contacting a student finance helpline or maybe even a Uni themselves? Of course, the best thing you could do is register yourself as homeless as a wealth of support and possibly also financial help (such as bursaries) could be available which could really help! I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say that you don't deserve to suffer. You deserve all of the help available to you!

If you want to chat about it more you can always send me a message and I'll do my best to help (not sure how much good I'll be though)

You're really young to be going through such hard stuff, I can't even imagine it. But that's why you should try and speak to people who do understand.

Good luck! We're rooting for you bud!

ReputationRep:
    Ah also, if your anxiety is bad, perhaps someone could call and get relevant information on your behalf? They might noot be able to register you but perhaps they can find out some useful stuff for you!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.