The Student Room Group

Bitcoin breaks $15,000

[Updated Price in Title]

Bitcoin breaks the much anticipated $6000 barrier to reach a new all time high. The cryptocurrency has increased nearly 700% since January 2017. Many financial professionals predict that bitcoin could reach $250,000 by 2025.

There has been a massive boom in cryptocurrencies this year with several increasing by thousands of percent. Since bitcoins inception in 2009 the price has risen from $0.008 to $6000 which means it has increased by over 75,000,000%

What does the future of cryptocurrency look like? It is one huge bubble ready to come crashing down at any moment or is it the future of finance, cryptography and economics?

Many believe blockchain technology is the Web 3.0 with smart contracts, decentralised distributed servers and near limitless millisecond transaction speeds.

What are your thoughts?
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Why the **** haven't I bought them but for real. I thought that after 1k and now 6k...
Original post by yudothis
Why the **** haven't I bought them but for real. I thought that after 1k and now 6k...

Well it's human psychology, you see the price so high and you think it can't possibly go higher or when you see it at it's peak price you think it will come crashing back down soon. The problem is nobody knows when the selloff will happen, and much like the tech bubble, the selloff for bitcoin will happen but will it happen next month at $7000 or 5 years at $250k, we have no clue :biggrin:
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
Well it's human psychology, you see the price so high and you think it can't possibly go higher or when you see it at it's peak price you think it will come crashing back down soon. The problem is nobody knows when the selloff will happen, and much like the tech bubble, the selloff for bitcoin will happen but will it happen next month at $7000 or 5 years at $250k, we have no clue :biggrin:

I literally could stop working and live of investment had I done it...
Reply 4
Dont forget you'll have to pay capital gains tax
Original post by Reue
Dont forget you'll have to pay capital gains tax

>Switching a valuable crypto-currency for fiat
it will end in tears

:emo:
Original post by the bear
it will end in tears

:emo:

When you have central banks inflating currencies and retail banks levying unfair charges to simply move your cash the only thing which shocks me is that people are totally happy to get screwed.
Original post by yudothis
I literally could stop working and live of investment had I done it...

I bought last year and have no regrets, although I remember back in 2010 seeing it being sold on reddit for $1.20 but I thought it was a scam. I'd be sitting on my yacht right now if I had bought then :biggrin:
i honestly feel like I'm going to throw up, I've been watching the stupid charts all day through lectures.

I bought £20,000 worth a while back and they doubled, so I sold them at the "peak" and planned on rebuying.

I saw it dip to $3k about 3 weeks ago and had £40,000 on coinfloor (a website to buy them) and was waiting for it to go to $2.5k because of some stupid report by goldman sach. This didn't happen and it bounced up again.

It turns out I misread the report and it said it was going to go BETWEEN $2.5k and $3k instead of go t at least $2.5k.

£40,000 in profit gone due to incompetence. I will be up all night looking at the stupid graphs again, and the worse thing is I can just tell it's going to go up again in the next week (there is a major event in 6 days, hardforking into something else).
I bought last year and have no regrets, although I remember back in 2010 seeing it being sold on reddit for $1.20 but I thought it was a scam. I'd be sitting on my yacht right now if I had bought then :biggrin:

Never forget you could have bought before the Mt Gox scandal and lost everything which would have put you off buying last year. Never feel sad about the past.
damnnn
Original post by Ganjaweed Rebel
Never forget you could have bought before the Mt Gox scandal and lost everything which would have put you off buying last year. Never feel sad about the past.

Nah, I use a hardware wallet and would never put my money in exchanges.

How much? Well done for getting in "early" regardless :smile::smile:
Nah, I use a hardware wallet and would never put my money in exchanges.

Trezor? :ninja:
Original post by Ganjaweed Rebel
Trezor? :ninja:

Ledger nano s :wink:

Original post by throwaway7895421
How much? Well done for getting in "early" regardless :smile::smile:

I got in around $550 in mid August :smile:
Ledger nano s :wink:

Casual

Spoiler

i think its gonna go down to around usd 5k for the next few days because BTG is doing something, regrouping block or something

alt coins are all gaining
Original post by HucktheForde
i think its gonna go down to around usd 5k for the next few days because BTG is doing something, regrouping block or something

alt coins are all gaining

It could very well drop to $5k. Bitcoin forked (again -_-) to create bitcoin gold but at the moment there is no replay protection which means if you sell your bitcoin gold, there is a chance your bitcoin will be lost.

Once they fix this bug there could be a major sell off in bitcoin gold and possible bitcoin and a huge rally in alts. I don't really mind as I own some alts as well as bitcoin.
It could very well drop to $5k. Bitcoin forked (again -_-) to create bitcoin gold but at the moment there is no replay protection which means if you sell your bitcoin gold, there is a chance your bitcoin will be lost.

Once they fix this bug there could be a major sell off in bitcoin gold and possible bitcoin and a huge rally in alts. I don't really mind as I own some alts as well as bitcoin.

ah yes that is, i cant explain it in my own words. blockchain is all too complex for me.

ps: where can i learn?

Latest