Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    It's just not feasible that Bitcoin could replace the major currencies, so the question is irrelevant. It also isn't clear that devaluation is forced by the west on developing nations, or that it's specifically linked to debt. Printing debt isn't very rational if the scale is out of proportion to the needs of the economy, but apart from some celebrated cases, that isn't the main reason for excessive government debt.
    Bitcoin will never become a currency like some people imagine it will be. It simply won't happen for a number of reasons and the first being the governments won't allow it, they'll just ban online stores and supermarkets etc from accepting it.

When Satoshi created bitcoin I think he / they didn't even think it would actually become an officially recognised accepted currency. Bitcoin has the potential to do one thing very well and that is to act as a digital store of value. I honestly don't think there will ever be a decentralised cryptocurrency in general mainstream use. Using a cryptocurrency for a digital service however is certainly possibly, things like smart contracts or the internet of things spring to mind.

ReputationRep:
    Chaos in the making

ReputationRep:
    segwit2x is not happening XD

ReputationRep:
    Sorry about the crash guys, this always happens when I buy.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ganjaweed Rebel)
    Sorry about the crash guys, this always happens when I buy.
    ~15% isn't a crash, hell it isn't even a correction in my book.

Another 15% and I'll call it a correction, another 35% and i'll call it a crash.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninja Squirrel)
    ~15% isn't a crash, hell it isn't even a correction in my book.

Another 15% and I'll call it a correction, another 35% and i'll call it a crash.
    I've held through 35% crashes in the past few months, I'm taking the piss. I really couldn't care less and I held through the Mt Gox crashes and only sold a few weeks before they ceased BTC withdrawals because I wanted to focus on exams.

ReputationRep:
    i panic sold

ReputationRep:
    Bitcoin breaks the much anticipated $6000 barrier to reach a new all time high. The cryptocurrency has increased nearly 700% since January 2017. Many financial professionals predict that bitcoin could reach $250,000 by 2025.

There has been a massive boom in cryptocurrencies this year with several increasing by thousands of percent. Since bitcoins inception in 2009 the price has risen from $0.008 to $6000 which means it has increased by over 75,000,000%

What does the future of cryptocurrency look like? It is one huge bubble ready to come crashing down at any moment or is it the future of finance, cryptography and economics?

Many believe blockchain technology is the Web 3.0 with smart contracts, decentralised distributed servers and near limitless millisecond transaction speeds.

What are your thoughts?
    Ay dude, you pulling from bitcoin any time soon? Dropped £2000 in the past 2 days, you probably know this already, just want to see your thoughts on it, do you think it'll bounce back or do you think it'll crash fully?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HucktheForde)
    i panic sold

It'll be nice to see what'll happen soon.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Not bitcoin but... did anyone see this? https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...olen-bug-ether Made me laugh :lol:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Relentas)
    Ay dude, you pulling from bitcoin any time soon? Dropped £2000 in the past 2 days, you probably know this already, just want to see your thoughts on it, do you think it'll bounce back or do you think it'll crash fully?
    Nah not selling. I'm investing for 5 - 10 years so a small 20% pullback is nothing major.

(Original post by Snufkin)
    Not bitcoin but... did anyone see this? https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...olen-bug-ether Made me laugh :lol:
    The article is misleading. The ether is not lost forever as when the Metropolis hardfork happens the community can decide if they want to implement EIP 156 which can unlock frozen wallets / contracts.

Bare in mind this was a bug in a developers smart contract which has absolutely nothing to do with the Ethereum blockchain as a protocol, everything is golden on that front

ReputationRep:
    The article is misleading. The ether is not lost forever as when the Metropolis hardfork happens the community can decide if they want to implement EIP 156 which can unlock frozen wallets / contracts.

Bare in mind this was a bug in a developers smart contract which has absolutely nothing to do with the Ethereum blockchain as a protocol, everything is golden on that front
    PRSOM

Can't believe the amount of pseudo-analysts posting things which at best are gross misunderstandings and at worst intentional lies in the media.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    PRSOM

Can't believe the amount of pseudo-analysts posting things which at best are gross misunderstandings and at worst intentional lies in the media.
    Unfortunately a lot of people don't really have the slightest clue so these media outlets often publish an incomplete story.

ReputationRep:
    During the dotcom bubble period

>American news media, including respected business publications such as Forbes and The Wall Street Journal, took advantage of the public's desire to invest in the stock market; an article in the Wall Street Journal suggested that investors "re-think" the "quaint idea" of profits

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot-co...dot-com_bubble

Ironically these same media outlets run on endlessly about the dotcom bubble like it's some gospel of the stock market when some of the biggest and most successful companies were a part of this, including Google, Ebay and Amazon and have gone on to beat their pre-crash peaks.

I would never say Bitcoin is or is not a bubble, I have no desire to tell others what to do, but the fact people genuinely think '''''analysts''''' writing for the WSJ, Forbes and CNBC are highly educated experts is a complete joke, they are basically glorified journalists, in fact worse, they are glorified journalists who repeat the memes of other people.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    >American news media, including respected business publications such as Forbes and The Wall Street Journal, took advantage of the public's desire to invest in the stock market; an article in the Wall Street Journal suggested that investors "re-think" the "quaint idea" of profits

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot-co...dot-com_bubble

I would never say Bitcoin is or is not a bubble, I have no desire to tell others what to do, but the fact people genuinely think '''''analysts''''' writing for the WSJ, Forbes and CNBC are highly educated experts is a complete joke, they are basically glorified journalists, in fact worse, they are glorified journalists who repeat the memes of other people.
    Haha it's clowns like this that people are calling experts

"we finally got that software upgrade that was going on with the system" lmao it wasn't an upgrade it was a fork, a split. Almost anyone can do his job :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Haha it's clowns like this that people are calling experts

"we finally got that software upgrade that was going on with the system" lmao it wasn't an upgrade it was a fork, a split. Almost anyone can do his job :lol:
    It's so inaccurate and he was shilling in favour of Bitcoin. It astonishes me that what supposedly highly respected media outlets are just allowing people floorspace to lie their asses off and it makes me doubt anything at all I read or hear in the news.

You've heard of fake news, CNBC = Fake Analysis

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ganjaweed rebel)
    prsom

can't believe the amount of pseudo-analysts posting things which at best are gross misunderstandings and at worst intentional lies in the media.
    fake news media

ReputationRep:
    Just HODL lads, just hodl.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dreamville1)
    Just HODL lads, just hodl.
    Name:  hodl.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  47.2 KB
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Name:  hodl.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  47.2 KB
    Great meme man.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 23, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.