Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Working hours for a full time college student? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    So, I’m a full-time sixteen year old college student on a vocational course who’s term has just ended for a week. I already have a part-time job at McDonalds. Usually I work about three 7-8 hour shifts per week, including days I’m at college.

Now that I’m on break, I’ve looked at my shifts and I’ve found I have a total of five shifts which total to around thirty nine hours in total. I read that the maximum for a student over school leaving age is allowed 40 hours per week, but that a student under school leaving age can only work 35 hours maximum in a week in which they aren’t attending school.

Which of these categories do I fall under? Am I working the right amount of hours during this holiday? Are these numbers even correct anyway?

Thanks in advance.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Batamiruku)
    Hi!
    So, I’m a full-time sixteen year old college student on a vocational course who’s term has just ended for a week. I already have a part-time job at McDonalds. Usually I work about three 7-8 hour shifts per week, including days I’m at college.

Now that I’m on break, I’ve looked at my shifts and I’ve found I have a total of five shifts which total to around thirty nine hours in total. I read that the maximum for a student over school leaving age is allowed 40 hours per week, but that a student under school leaving age can only work 35 hours maximum in a week in which they aren’t attending school.

Which of these categories do I fall under? Am I working the right amount of hours during this holiday? Are these numbers even correct anyway?

Thanks in advance.
    You are over 16, so yes you can work 40 hours a week.

ReputationRep:
    You can work this much but do you have time to focus on school with so much work
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.