Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    B1293 - Vagrancy Bill 2017, TSR Government

Vagrancy Bill 2017

An Act to remove archaic laws that only serve to make lives of homeless people worse.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's [King's] most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

PART I.
    REPEAL OF VAGRANCY LEGISLATION

1. Vagrancy

(1) Removes The Vagrancy Act 1824 Sections 3-4.

(2) Removes The Licensing Act 1872 Section 12.

(3) Inserts into The Theft Act 1968 Section 5-

(6) Food items will not be considered to belong to a person if the original owner appears to have abandoned it.

PART II.
    COMMENCEMENT, SHORT TITLE AND EXTENT

2 Commencement

(1) This Act shall come into force on royal assent

3 Short Title

(1) This Act may be cited as the Vagrancy Act 2017

4 Devolution

(1) This Act extends to Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Notes1: Removes an archaic law that makes homelessness illegal. The original Act does this by making begging and sleeping in a public place illegal. In the last 10 years, this law has been used more and more to harass homeless people as down to looking homeless is often considered begging by the police who are under pressure to move homeless people along. Harassing begging would remain illegal under other Acts.

2: Removes the crime of being drunk in public. Note that drunk and disorderly would remain a crime under the Criminal Justice Act 1967. The charge of drunk in public is only now used to move people along who have had a drink and this is another law that is used predominantly against homeless people who are not being disorderly.

3. Changes the laws regarding theft so that food that has been abandoned (discarded, meaning that the original owner has no further use for the item) cannot be considered property. This essentially makes it legal to remove food from supermarket bins while also removing the ability for people who become ill from eating that food to sue the shop in question as it no longer the position of the original owner.

ReputationRep:
    Aye. Makes essential changes to assist the unfortunate. All across the House should support this as undoubtedly it both improves the lot of the unfortunate and relieves the burden on the welfare state.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Very Aye. Fantastic bill that I'm proud to support as part of this government.

ReputationRep:
    A good Bill.

ReputationRep:
    Aye, but can you confirm that 1(3) is only section 5 as it has a - after it, I’ll probably support if it includes more just want to ensure I have read the relevant sections first.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Supporting this:yep:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I'm gladdened to see that this Bill has such support. I will, of course, add my voice of support to this.

(Original post by joecphillips)
    Aye, but can you confirm that 1(3) is only section 5 as it has a - after it, I’ll probably support if it includes more just want to ensure I have read the relevant sections first.
    Yes, it's only section 5 of the theft act is affected. The - just tries to follow legal practices in writing laws (or it at least mimics what I have seen while looking through laws to write bills).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DayneD89)
    I'm gladdened to see that this Bill has such support. I will, of course, add my voice of support to this.

Yes, it's only section 5 of the theft act is affected. The - just tries to follow legal practices in writing laws (or it at least mimics what I have seen while looking through laws to write bills).
    Yes sorry my mistake, I thought that (6) was a different point rereading I can see why I was wrong.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Yes sorry my mistake, I thought that (6) was a different point rereading I can see why I was wrong.
    Yet, I may have to change my formatting a bit for future bills to make that distinction clearer. I'll try putting sections that are directly inserted into law in italics, I know I've done that for other bills.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Looks like the government is desperate to look active by repealing laws that are already de facto repealed
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Looks like the government is desperate to look active by repealing laws that are already de facto repealed
    They were, until recently. More recently thèy have been used more and more by police to push homeless people out of cities. Not necessarily to convict, but to threaten homeless people with fines for not complying with any requests. I can tell you with first hand experience that this Bill would improve the daily lives of countless homeless people.

The third one has been a sticking point in our law for years. People have been prosecuted for 'skipping', taking food out of skips behind shops.

ReputationRep:
    Decent Bill but the formatting is bloody awful, might I suggest the authors focus on this more in future?

Aye anyway.

(Also the title of the thread and the Bill itself is incorrect - it is not an act until it has passed division, Rakas21 please amend this.)
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Don't see why not
    Aye
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Connor27)
    Decent Bill but the formatting is bloody awful, might I suggest the authors focus on this more in future?

Aye anyway.

(Also the title of the thread and the Bill itself is incorrect - it is not an act until it has passed division, Rakas21 please amend this.)
    Bills refer to themselves as Acts, assuming that they will pass. In that was they don't need amending if they pass and if they don't it makes no difference.

What improvements would you like to see to the formatting in future bills?

ReputationRep:
    This is something I am sure the whole house can get behind.

Aye.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DayneD89)
    Bills refer to themselves as Acts, assuming that they will pass. In that was they don't need amending if they pass and if they don't it makes no difference.

What improvements would you like to see to the formatting in future bills?
    That’s what 3(1) is about until then it should be bill

https://services.parliament.uk/bills/2016-17.html
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    That’s what 3(1) is about until then it should be bill

https://services.parliament.uk/bills/2016-17.html
    Ah, fair enough. I'll go through my Bills in development now and amend them all then. Not sure why I've thought it was the other way for years then
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    aye

ReputationRep:
    Mr speaker

We need to ban public sleeping and begging. Homeless people are a nuisance in society and I'm sick and tired of seeing homeless people on the streets and begging me for money. There is a homeless epidemic and we need to put a stop to this. We need to STERILISE the homeless!!!!!!!

I do like clause 1(3) of the bill if that was in a separate bill I would support it.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr T 999)
    We need to ban public sleeping and begging. Homeless people are a nuisance in society and I'm sick and tired of seeing homeless people on the streets and begging me for money. There is a homeless epidemic and we need to put a stop to this. We need to STERILISE the homeless!!!!!!!
    I see the honourable gentleman has fit right into his new party.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 26, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.