Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I cannot decide which of the 2 to include in my UCAS choices. Bath is above Edinburgh in UK rankings but Edinburgh is above in global tables, so there is a balance and anyway any difference would be insignificant. Also both unis have similar entry criteria.

Bath:
    Offers a placement year which is important
    Considered better for maths

Edinburgh:
    Scotland so free (I'm from EU)
    Although not sure, I believe the Scottish system has more flexibility and I would like to study modules from other departments such as physics.
    Larger city with more things to do

If it wasn't the placement in Bath, I would surely pick Edinburgh. However, I do not now yet what career I want and a placement would help me decide, as well as getting paid and enhancing my CV.

ReputationRep:
    Bath is definitely better for maths, but if Edinburgh is free for you, I can see why you'd pick it.

Will it be free for all 4 years or only until Britain leaves the EU in 2019 though?

(Original post by dell1234)
    I cannot decide which of the 2 to include in my UCAS choices. Bath is above Edinburgh in UK rankings but Edinburgh is above in global tables, so there is a balance and anyway any difference would be insignificant. Also both unis have similar entry criteria.

Bath:
    Offers a placement year which is important
    Considered better for maths

Edinburgh:
    Scotland so free (I'm from EU)
    Although not sure, I believe the Scottish system has more flexibility and I would like to study modules from other departments such as physics.
    Larger city with more things to do

If it wasn't the placement in Bath, I would surely pick Edinburgh. However, I do not now yet what career I want and a placement would help me decide, as well as getting paid and enhancing my CV.

ReputationRep:
    Trinity College, Cambridge
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    It's worth noting, Bath being "Better" for Maths doesn't imply Edinburgh is bad for Maths - it's very strong overall, and it's Maths department is by no means weak. Given it'll be free for you, I'd argue this vastly outweighs the benefits of studying at Bath. I mean, you could easily in fact get enough money to just do one of the Masters courses in Maths at Bath after your undergrad at Edinburgh, if you so desired (or Part III at Cambridge if you lean towards the applied maths side).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.