Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

should I keep avoiding a lecturer as i over exaggerated on my personal statement Watch

ReputationRep:
    i was in a seminar doing group work when we were all talking about ucas and personal statements and stuff like that and i said i over exaggerated so much stuff on my personal statement about having certain jobs and doing extra curricular stuff and i said i cant believe it was believed to my mates in my group
    I didnt notice my lecturer over heard this and he seemed prietty pissed off with me for the rest of the seminar
    So i have been avoding him ever since
    Should i go talk to him about it as he seems to probably think i lied all through my personal statement which i didnt
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    when you say avoiding him do you mean suddenly turning corners when you see him coming

You should just say it was a miss understanding if he is that pissed off about it
    but i thought everyone over exaggerated on the personal statements

ReputationRep:
    I definitely think you should talk to him about it, just to clear up any misunderstandings

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Avaia)
    I definitely think you should talk to him about it, just to clear up any misunderstandings
    i was thinking that but wouldnt that not make things more awkward between us as hes been pissed off with me for a couple days

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harry7788)
    i was thinking that but wouldnt that not make things more awkward between us as hes been pissed off with me for a couple days
    No, I assume that he would respect you for actually going to him and raising your concerns, it may also put his mind at ease also. You are an adult at uni and should be showing that you take responsibility

ReputationRep:
    I think you should talk to him. Everything is better when out in the open, especially since he is your lecturer and could potentially grade your work?

ReputationRep:
    Lol this is pretty funny 😂😂😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Avaia)
    No, I assume that he would respect you for actually going to him and raising your concerns, it may also put his mind at ease also. You are an adult at uni and should be showing that you take responsibility
    hopefully he would respect it as he has seemed to ignore me with the stuff ive been saying in seminars since then i think its cause i go to a a very good uni he thinks i didnt get there on merit as he would assume i "lied" initally i was thinking it may blow over but it hasnt i do try to avoid confrontation ahahahaa

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spidle)
    I think you should talk to him. Everything is better when out in the open, especially since he is your lecturer and could potentially grade your work?
    true i do try and avoid confrontation and i hopef this would all blow over and he would forget about it but he hasnt and he has seemed to ignore me and be generally pissed off with me ever since then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Texxers)
    Lol this is pretty funny 😂😂😂
    ohh really ahaha what bit of it do you find funny like

ReputationRep:
    ohh really ahaha what bit of it do you find funny like
    The whole story, I'm sure a lot of people would fully agree with me.

ReputationRep:
    ahahahahahaa this is very funny

you should just say something to him if he does to you first
    It may work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Avaia)
    This. You absolutely nailed the response Avaia.

harry7788 Also, if you really that uncomfortable talking to him in person; it's better to email him, than not communicating with him at all. But it should only cause minor awkwardness talking to him in person, and you are much more likely to resolve the issue in person, and then nothing would be thought of it soon enough through reconcilliation. Go talk to him. Best not to get on a bad start with any lecturers also (for something as simple as his approachability and your willingness to approach him for example); which are instrumental to your wellbeing and any issues at uni (in terms of what is covered and perhaps anything that is covered.) Foster strong relationships with each of them.

Perhaps say "you just feel (you temporarily considered) your extracurricular acitivies are (were) now less meaningful considering the time that has passed since you partook in them" or some other reason. (Just an idea.) Perhaps add that the meaning of your words were miscommunicated because of unmediated (thoughtless) speech on your part. And you were being a bit self-deprecating around your classmates. Depending on what you're willing to say and what you think is best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rorschach II)
    This. You absolutely nailed the response Avaia.

harry7788 Also, if you really that uncomfortable talking to him in person; it's better to email him, than not communicating with him at all. But it should only cause minor awkwardness talking to him in person, and you are much more likely to resolve the issue in person, and then nothing would be thought of it soon enough through reconcilliation. Go talk to him. Best not to get on a bad start with any lecturers also (for something as simple as his approachability and your willingness to approach him for example); which are instrumental to your wellbeing and any issues at uni (in terms of what is covered and perhaps anything that is covered.) Foster strong relationships with each of them.

Perhaps say "you just feel (you temporarily considered) your extracurricular acitivies are (were) now less meaningful considering the time that has passed since you partook in them" or some other reason. (Just an idea.) Perhaps add that the meaning of your words were miscommunicated because of unmediated (thoughtless) speech on your part. And you were being a bit self-deprecating around your classmates. Depending on what you're willing to say and what you think is best.
    yeah i think i may just talk to him as yous have said instead of emailing him about it
    i am just the type of person to avoid confrontation
    as initally i thought me talking to him might make things worse between us as he seems to ignore me ever since i said that in the seminar
    I have had my mates say though (im not sure if this would be the best idea but they said i should wait till he approaches me or makes the first move)
    I was initally thinking about going to my personal tutor but then i dont want him to think ive went behind his back and talked about him to other lecturers
    and thankyou for this advice i will say something along those lines

ReputationRep:
    yeah i think i may just talk to him as yous have said instead of emailing him about it
    i am just the type of person to avoid confrontation
    as initally i thought me talking to him might make things worse between us as he seems to ignore me ever since i said that in the seminar
    I have had my mates say though (im not sure if this would be the best idea but they said i should wait till he approaches me or makes the first move)
    I was initally thinking about going to my personal tutor but then i dont want him to think ive went behind his back and talked about him to other lecturers
    and thankyou for this advice i will say something along those lines
    You're welcome.

You should definitely make the first move or take the initiative though by the way. (I hope I don't sound bossy. xD)

It's best not to look at it like confrontation; look at it as proactively communicating and reconciling.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.