The Student Room Group

How does this loser plan an 18th without free house?

I really wanted a nice n chill 18th house party sorta thing, but recently there's been problems in my area where lots (nearly all of them that have happened in my street over the past few years) of the parties are getting crashed by a group of teenagers and adults who steal stuff and cause a scene and thats put me off (understandably because my mum would not be impressed and I don't fancy being homeless lmao ).

The thing is, that it would be difficult to do anywhere else because my birthday is bang smack in the middle of the school year (February) so half the guests would be 18 and the other half 17. I know you can argue that I should just go out with my 18 year old friends but I don't think thats fair on my younger buds, I'd rather not have one than do them like that! :frown:

I've never had a birthday party so I'm not really sure how it works so sorry if I'm asking stupid stuff, I just kinda wanted to give everyone a good time given the amount of stuff they've all invited me to so if there's a way we can all be together and have a bit of a drink and a dance I'd like that!

I'm not sure if I can hire a function room or anything? Has anyone managed to navigate around this?

TL;lDR: where can my 17 year old buds and I have a chill party that isn't a house party bc my road is frequently raided by BTEC roadmen?

Thanks guys!
Reply 1
Original post by slurredsquash
I really wanted a nice n chill 18th house party sorta thing, but recently there's been problems in my area where lots (nearly all of them that have happened in my street over the past few years) of the parties are getting crashed by a group of teenagers and adults who steal stuff and cause a scene and thats put me off (understandably because my mum would not be impressed and I don't fancy being homeless lmao ).

The thing is, that it would be difficult to do anywhere else because my birthday is bang smack in the middle of the school year (February) so half the guests would be 18 and the other half 17. I know you can argue that I should just go out with my 18 year old friends but I don't think thats fair on my younger buds, I'd rather not have one than do them like that! :frown:

I've never had a birthday party so I'm not really sure how it works so sorry if I'm asking stupid stuff, I just kinda wanted to give everyone a good time given the amount of stuff they've all invited me to so if there's a way we can all be together and have a bit of a drink and a dance I'd like that!

I'm not sure if I can hire a function room or anything? Has anyone managed to navigate around this?

TL;lDR: where can my 17 year old buds and I have a chill party that isn't a house party bc my road is frequently raided by BTEC roadmen?

Thanks guys!

What about going to a bowling alley? Then friends who are old enough to can drink since they often have a bar type place attached, and you can hang out and bowl or my local one also has loads of arcade games.
Reply 2
x

Moved to Advice on everyday issues. :h:

An early happy birthday to you and I hope you have fun on your eighteenth birthday! :bigsmile:
Reply 3

Thanks guys!

If drinking isn't an issue for you then you can go bowling, cinema, rent a room somewhere, trampoline park etc etc.
That, see if somebody will let you host at their house/ private land or have it at home and just make sure you're ready for if people do try to crash it.

Hope that helps and happy early birthday :smile:
Maybe go for a meal? You could invite everyone out to a fancy restaurant and those who wanted to drink could :-) otherwise, maybe plan an activity? Bowling, roller skating, mini golf or playing a sport are always fun and you could get drinks there.

Quick Reply

Latest