The Student Room Group

Can an employer find out your full employment history?

I've had a few jobs over the years but two of them didn't work out e.g. an apprenticeship back in 2013 which lasted for 4 months and a temp job this summer which lasted for 3 weeks. Those 2 obviously have no place on my graduate scheme applications but can I employer drill down into my employment history from external sources etc?
Original post by Dominoes

No. No-one keeps a database of what you've done in your life.
Original post by threeportdrift
No. No-one keeps a database of what you've done in your life.

What about tax NI and all that
Reply 3
Original post by Dominoes
What about tax NI and all that

Those records are HIGHLY protected, employers don't just have free access to that sort of information. Even the police have a hard time accessing those sorts of records.

This doesn't mean that an employer can't find out where you've worked, they just do it in different ways, for example, over half of companies now use social media as part of their background checks...so be careful what you say online
Original post by Avaia
Those records are HIGHLY protected, employers don't just have free access to that sort of information. Even the police have a hard time accessing those sorts of records.

This doesn't mean that an employer can't find out where you've worked, they just do it in different ways, for example, over half of companies now use social media as part of their background checks...so be careful what you say online

Ight cheers
Original post by Avaia

What about references though?

Employers ask of this for a reason...but obviously they have to ask the candidate's consent.
I hope they don't find out about my nude modelling.
Yeah they can find out, but they're unlikely to put a lot of effort into finding it. They'll check your social media and ask for references, the general stuff. For my first job I'll be unable to provide a reference because the company doesn't exist, but that didn't stop me getting the job I'm in now (my second job).
Original post by AngelsandFairies
What about references though?

Employers ask of this for a reason...but obviously they have to ask the candidate's consent.

They don't have to have the employee's consent. They can ask anyone they have details of, but unless you have given them enough to research, they can't.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by threeportdrift
They don't have to have the employee's consent. They can ask anyone they have details of, but unless you have given them enough to research, they can't.

Oh yes that is kind of true because I have just remembered that from one of my previous employers, they did some research about one of the places where I used to work.
What I find unsettling is the fact someone can easily create fake social media profiles to impersonate you and get you into trouble with employers or even worse.

Quick Reply

Latest