Turn on thread page Beta

Can an employer find out your full employment history? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've had a few jobs over the years but two of them didn't work out e.g. an apprenticeship back in 2013 which lasted for 4 months and a temp job this summer which lasted for 3 weeks. Those 2 obviously have no place on my graduate scheme applications but can I employer drill down into my employment history from external sources etc?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Dominoes)
    No. No-one keeps a database of what you've done in your life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    No. No-one keeps a database of what you've done in your life.
    What about tax NI and all that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dominoes)
    What about tax NI and all that
    Those records are HIGHLY protected, employers don't just have free access to that sort of information. Even the police have a hard time accessing those sorts of records.

This doesn't mean that an employer can't find out where you've worked, they just do it in different ways, for example, over half of companies now use social media as part of their background checks...so be careful what you say online

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Avaia)
    Those records are HIGHLY protected, employers don't just have free access to that sort of information. Even the police have a hard time accessing those sorts of records.

This doesn't mean that an employer can't find out where you've worked, they just do it in different ways, for example, over half of companies now use social media as part of their background checks...so be careful what you say online
    Ight cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Avaia)

What about references though?

Employers ask of this for a reason...but obviously they have to ask the candidate's consent.

ReputationRep:
    I hope they don't find out about my nude modelling.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yeah they can find out, but they're unlikely to put a lot of effort into finding it. They'll check your social media and ask for references, the general stuff. For my first job I'll be unable to provide a reference because the company doesn't exist, but that didn't stop me getting the job I'm in now (my second job).
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by AngelsandFairies)
    What about references though?

Employers ask of this for a reason...but obviously they have to ask the candidate's consent.
    They don't have to have the employee's consent. They can ask anyone they have details of, but unless you have given them enough to research, they can't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    They don't have to have the employee's consent. They can ask anyone they have details of, but unless you have given them enough to research, they can't.
    Oh yes that is kind of true because I have just remembered that from one of my previous employers, they did some research about one of the places where I used to work.

ReputationRep:
    What I find unsettling is the fact someone can easily create fake social media profiles to impersonate you and get you into trouble with employers or even worse.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.