Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am planning to apply for maths (or maths with physics). I’m currently in my GCSE year (11) and will be taking 10 (or 11) GCSE's this year, out of which 2 are maths related papers: (i) iGCSE Maths and (ii) Additional Maths.

Next year, in 6-Form, I will have the option to either taking the standard AS/A2 Level route (3 or 4 A-Levels) or a Pre-U route (I believe 3 or 4 subjects as well).

From what I know so far the Pre-U subjects are all linear (there is no mid-way tests, such as the AS in the A-level route) so I will be applying to university based on my GCSE grades alone (and possibly predicted grades for Pre-U).

My question is specific to maths admissions process: Is the Pre-U route disadvantages me as a maths candidate in any way? I am leaning towards choosing the Pre-U over the A-level route as it is said to be a bit more rigorous however I have seen on these boards that most offers to Maths are given in terms of A-Level. What is the typical Pre-U offer to do Maths?

I appreciate if you could help me understand what could be the advantages / disadvantages of each of these 2 routes for me as I will need to choose between them soon. Many thanks!
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by category11)
    Hi, I am planning to apply for maths (or maths with physics). I’m currently in my GCSE year (11) and will be taking 10 (or 11) GCSE's this year, out of which 2 are maths related papers: (i) iGCSE Maths and (ii) Additional Maths.

Next year, in 6-Form, I will have the option to either taking the standard AS/A2 Level route (3 or 4 A-Levels) or a Pre-U route (I believe 3 or 4 subjects as well).

From what I know so far the Pre-U subjects are all linear (there is no mid-way tests, such as the AS in the A-level route) so I will be applying to university based on my GCSE grades alone (and possibly predicted grades for Pre-U).

My question is specific to maths admissions process: Is the Pre-U route disadvantages me as a maths candidate in any way? I am leaning towards choosing the Pre-U over the A-level route as it is said to be a bit more rigorous however I have seen on these boards that most offers to Maths are given in terms of A-Level. What is the typical Pre-U offer to do Maths?

I appreciate if you could help me understand what could be the advantages / disadvantages of each of these 2 routes for me as I will need to choose between them soon. Many thanks!
    Maths A-level will also be linear.

For Pre-U Cambridge says: Conditional offers are set on an individual basis but are likely to require the achievement of Distinction level grades (D2 or D3) in Principal Subjects.
    https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....e-requirements

So for Maths typically : D2 D2 D3 plus 1, 1 in STEP II and III (D2s in Maths and FM)
    https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....es/mathematics

ReputationRep:
    Thank you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.