Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would a BA English Literature and Language from the OU be sufficient to teach? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Would a degree from the Open University in English Literature/English Literature and Language be suitable to progress into a career in teaching?

Essentially I have A*AAAAAAAAC at GCSE but I currently do not have any A-levels due to a pretty awful stint of ill health. Obviously, I am now almost 19 and I am still not in great health but I want to pursue a degree.

More information => https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...642&highlight=

My only concerns are that I don't have any A-levels currently. The current requirements to teach in England according to UCAS are as follows:

1. 1)You'll need to hold an undergraduate degree awarded by a UK higher education provider, or a recognized equivalent qualification.
    2. 2)You’ll need to have achieved a standard equivalent to grade C/4, or above, in the GCSE examinations in English and mathematics.
    3. 3)If you intend to train to teach pupils aged three to 11 (early years and primary), you must also have achieved a standard equivalent to a grade C/4, or above, in a GCSE science subject examination.
    4. 4)You'll also need to pass the professional skills tests in numeracy and literacy before you begin your teacher training. Some training providers may require you to complete them before your interview, or ask you to complete them by a certain date as a condition of your offer. Find out more in our professional skills tests blog.

Would me not having A-levels hinder me in comparison to another applicant?

Is the OU degree strong enough in regards to content?
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Piña colada)
    Would a degree from the Open University in English Literature/English Literature and Language be suitable to progress into a career in teaching?

Essentially I have A*AAAAAAAAC at GCSE but I currently do not have any A-levels due to a pretty awful stint of ill health. Obviously, I am now almost 19 and I am still not in great health but I want to pursue a degree.

More information => https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...642&highlight=

My only concerns are that I don't have any A-levels currently. The current requirements to teach in England according to UCAS are as follows:

1. 1)You'll need to hold an undergraduate degree awarded by a UK higher education provider, or a recognized equivalent qualification.
    2. 2)You’ll need to have achieved a standard equivalent to grade C/4, or above, in the GCSE examinations in English and mathematics.
    3. 3)If you intend to train to teach pupils aged three to 11 (early years and primary), you must also have achieved a standard equivalent to a grade C/4, or above, in a GCSE science subject examination.
    4. 4)You'll also need to pass the professional skills tests in numeracy and literacy before you begin your teacher training. Some training providers may require you to complete them before your interview, or ask you to complete them by a certain date as a condition of your offer. Find out more in our professional skills tests blog.

Would me not having A-levels hinder me in comparison to another applicant?

Is the OU degree strong enough in regards to content?
    Yes, it's fine for teaching. No, not having A levels will not affect your application - lots of teachers don't do A levels, nobody cares. See here: https://help.open.ac.uk/students/_da...-a-teacher.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Secondary teacher here. My undergraduate degree with the OU has never been a hindrance, if anything it was a point in my favour. Nobody (from my PGCE provider to my employer) has been particularly bothered about my A-levels.

Best of luck, and if you want to chat about doing a degree with the OU, feel free to message me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.