Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi.
    Ive just finished my 5th week at uni and I feel very much out of my comfort zone. I have lectures and seminars every day of the week and they’re so spaced out, 2,3,4 hour gaps between them. I’m all over the spot and it’s just frustrating that I have no days off other than weekends.

I haven’t managed to make any friends other than a few flat mates but they’ve been friends since primary school. I don’t feel as close to them and don’t want to get in the way of their friendship. As for my course, nobody talks or if they do, they’re already in their own friendship groups. Seminars consist of sitting in a room for 50 minutes with a tutor talking at us. There’s hardly any interaction and it’s beginning to feel almost like a robotic process. I’ve skipped a few lectures and seminars already because I just feel awful sat in them.

I wanted to go to uni to make friends mostly, because I didn’t have much of a social life at home due to where I lived. Since I haven’t made any yet and I’ve been living in the city where my uni is for about 8 weeks I feel really disappointed. I actually don’t know what I want to get out of uni, not sure what job I want to do.

I just feel like I’m wasting my money, because all the materials can be downloaded off the internet. We haven’t even been given prep for seminars, all we do is turn up and sit there and listen to them talk. I want to give it a chance but I also don’t want to waste my time doing assignments in the next few weeks leading up to Christmas if I’m not going to be there.

If anyone could offer some advice it would be greatly appreciated.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Do your assignments. You haven't given up yet, so don't put yourself in the position where you have no choice but to drop out.

Join clubs and societies to find people that you have social things in common with.

Nobody has bosom friends yet. That takes time to develop. Be realistic, and just keep being friendly at every opportunity. You will meet people that you click with if you keep trying.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm sorry you're having such a rough time, I know how you feel.

Honestly I've been in a similar position for quite a long time. The advice people give about giving it time, joining a society etc is true, it can help. However I will say that I'm in second year and I've been feeling like you have since the start of first year. I joined the societies, went on nights out, and to be perfectly honest with you? I still don't like my course, I still sit in lectures thinking it's pointless, I still don't have anyone I consider a true friend, I still want to drop out, and I'm still unhappy. I nearly cried the day I had to move back to uni.

There are things you can do to improve your uni experience, especially if there are areas in particular that are problematic. But if you truly don't feel happy or know it's not right for you then I would think about either changing course/uni or dropping out.

You are only a few weeks in and it's very common to still not be enjoying it I think, so spend a few weeks thinking about what you really want (is there a career at the end of this degree you want that would motivate you through your course? Is there anything else you'd rather be doing?) and weighing the pros and cons but if you are truly unhappy don't just keep 'sticking it out' like I did because it doesn't necessarily make you happier. Go and talk to an advisor once you have your own ideas about what you want to do (don't let anyone put ideas in your head, be as clear as you can about what you want) and take action. Whether that's staying or leaving.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PollyParrot23)
    Hi, I'm sorry you're having such a rough time, I know how you feel.

Honestly I've been in a similar position for quite a long time. The advice people give about giving it time, joining a society etc is true, it can help. However I will say that I'm in second year and I've been feeling like you have since the start of first year. I joined the societies, went on nights out, and to be perfectly honest with you? I still don't like my course, I still sit in lectures thinking it's pointless, I still don't have anyone I consider a true friend, I still want to drop out, and I'm still unhappy. I nearly cried the day I had to move back to uni.

There are things you can do to improve your uni experience, especially if there are areas in particular that are problematic. But if you truly don't feel happy or know it's not right for you then I would think about either changing course/uni or dropping out.

You are only a few weeks in and it's very common to still not be enjoying it I think, so spend a few weeks thinking about what you really want (is there a career at the end of this degree you want that would motivate you through your course? Is there anything else you'd rather be doing?) and weighing the pros and cons but if you are truly unhappy don't just keep 'sticking it out' like I did because it doesn't necessarily make you happier. Go and talk to an advisor once you have your own ideas about what you want to do (don't let anyone put ideas in your head, be as clear as you can about what you want) and take action. Whether that's staying or leaving.
    Hi, thanks for your reply.

After spending the weekend at home and having a discussion with my parents I’ve decided to wait a while longer. I’m also going to see student service and see what advice they can offer me. As per your advice I’m going to see what’s good about my course and what’s not.

I’m not sure I should even be on this course as my economics module is beyond a level maths and I’ve only got a C at GCSE. I didn’t know this until my first lecture, I’m also pretty confused as to why they let me on the course. I don’t really know what to do about that since I have the module in semester 2 as well. Any ideas? Thanks
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organa)
    Hi, thanks for your reply.

After spending the weekend at home and having a discussion with my parents I’ve decided to wait a while longer. I’m also going to see student service and see what advice they can offer me. As per your advice I’m going to see what’s good about my course and what’s not.

I’m not sure I should even be on this course as my economics module is beyond a level maths and I’ve only got a C at GCSE. I didn’t know this until my first lecture, I’m also pretty confused as to why they let me on the course. I don’t really know what to do about that since I have the module in semester 2 as well. Any ideas? Thanks
    make sure you do enough to pass any core modules then you should be able to switch onto something more suitable for the second year. Most unis the first doesnt count for final grade..

ReputationRep:
    Totally agree with the suggestions for you to join clubs/societies. If you want to get to know people on your course go to your lectures/seminars early and chat to people outside and sit with them inside. Then you could talk after the lecture, add them on Facebook, etc. Alternatively try seeing if there's a groupchat for people on your course or if there's a groupchat for your course at your accomodation so you can walk with people to and from your lectures/seminars which is how I met and befriended people on my course.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.