Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've never gained this much weight until recently, I'm starting to believe I can't lose weight. What's the best excercises to decrease body fat and how long does it take to see results. I really hate my body
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Easy
    eat less do more
    put yourself in calorie defect,stay away from sugar high food stuffs and drink,and be active,i recommend a 5k run everyday, that we the weight will melt away in no time.

(Original post by VCBCCVBN)
    Easy
    eat less do more
    put yourself in calorie defect,stay away from sugar high food stuffs and drink,and be active,i recommend a 5k run everyday, that we the weight will melt away in no time.
    So 5k on the treadmill?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So 5k on the treadmill?
    Go for an actual run on pavements and paths. The treadmill isn't effective if you can't maintain your running speed.

ReputationRep:
    Burn fat by running a calorie deficit through dieting and excercise…

If you mean body fat percentage, you can also decrease it by building lean mass (muscle) which increases body mass that isn't fat, and it also burns fat by increasing calories burnt whilst idle so win win. Building muscle in essential to stay fit in the long run in my opinion, more so for men but definitely for women as well.

ReputationRep:
    Be in a 300-500 calorie deficit every day and you will lose weight. Of course cardio helps, but diet is way waaay more important in losing weight.

ReputationRep:
    There are no best exercises, as no exercise burns fat directly. The whole point in exercising is to burn calories. Combine more exercise with eating less food to lose weight.

ReputationRep:
    All you need is to be in a calorie deficit of about 500kcal per day. That will lose you about 1lb per week.

Time for some debunking:
    • Exactly what you eat doesn't matter as long as it adds up to the right amount. Of course, you want to be healthy as well, and eating less energy-dense foods will make you feel fuller for the same number of calories
    • There isn't really much difference between a treadmill and running outside. If you do use a treadmill though, vary the speed and gradient. Doing the same thing for too long can increase your risk of injury.
    • Excercise isn't great for losing weight. A fit person can burn maybe 700 kcal in an hour doing something aerobic like running or swimming. So to make up your 500kcal per day, you'd have to do 43 minutes of intense excercise (even more if you're less fit and unable to reach 700kcal/hr). But to make things worse, many people subconsciously compensate for excercise by eating more! Do excercise for fitness and to build muscle (which will reduce your body fat % by adding non-fat mass).

(Original post by TheMindGarage)
    All you need is to be in a calorie deficit of about 500kcal per day. That will lose you about 1lb per week.

Time for some debunking:
    • Exactly what you eat doesn't matter as long as it adds up to the right amount. Of course, you want to be healthy as well, and eating less energy-dense foods will make you feel fuller for the same number of calories
    • There isn't really much difference between a treadmill and running outside. If you do use a treadmill though, vary the speed and gradient. Doing the same thing for too long can increase your risk of injury.
    • Excercise isn't great for losing weight. A fit person can burn maybe 700 kcal in an hour doing something aerobic like running or swimming. So to make up your 500kcal per day, you'd have to do 43 minutes of intense excercise (even more if you're less fit and unable to reach 700kcal/hr). But to make things worse, many people subconsciously compensate for excercise by eating more! Do excercise for fitness and to build muscle (which will reduce your body fat % by adding non-fat mass).
    Thanks!!! This makes sense

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.