Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to know if I’m eligible to get into med school and also funding.

I have completed BSc Sport and Exercise Science. I went on to complete MMedSci Human Nutrition. I do however have unrelated A-levels. Am I eligible to apply for medical school?

If so.. what funding can I get for cost of living and course fees?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Postgrad12)

I have completed BSc Sport and Exercise Science. I went on to complete MMedSci Human Nutrition. I do however have unrelated A-levels. Am I eligible to apply for medical school?

You need to take in a few factors:

1) Entrance exam score
    2) Undergraduate degree classification
    3) Individual medical school requirements

You will only get funding if you apply and get into the 4 year courses. I have forgotten how much funding though. In the 5 year course, you will get funding in your 5th year only. You can also apply for maintenance loan from the SLC for both 4 and 5 year courses.

ReputationRep:

Hello!

Sorry, I don't know your exact circumstances, but my understanding is as follows.

You cannot get a second load of undergraduate funding. However, you can apply for Postgraduate Medicine. Some schools take only science grads, others take science and non-science grads. Some care about A-levels, others not so much.

In terms of living and fees. First year you have to find one third of your fees. Living is covered by a loan/grant. Fees in 2nd, 3rd and 4th year are covered by a loan.

You would really need to decide what school fits your circumstances and do some individual research.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot.

If I have already use SLC for my undergrad am I still eligible for costs of living help from SLC?

What is the top 3 univeristies I should realistically be applying for?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot.

If I have already use SLC for my undergrad am I still eligible for costs of living help from SLC?

Forget about the top universities. You need to look at your circumstances and which university will most likely give you an interview. As a postgraduate, I can expect you to have the skills to research that yourself.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot.

Yes, you are. Tuition fees (minus £3465 which you pay in first year and nhs pays in years 2-4) are funded on four year GEM courses. You have to pay tuition fees for first four years if you opt for 5 year undergraduate courses.

All we know is you have a degree? That tells us very little to help tell you where to apply. What classification did you get? Not having a level chemistry may narrow your options if your degree isn’t considered to contain enough science (you may need to check with universities).

Realistically you won’t know where to apply until you’ve decided if you’re sitting the GAMSAT or not and what your UKCAT score is.

There aren’t as many universities that offer GEM, I’m afraid it is a case of just doing the legwork
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.