Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

So my current situation is as follows, I'm currently studying a foundation degree that I have no interest in and its way to late to switch course. I have made friends with people on the course, and I have a social life. The issue that im having is I wanted to change course because of a change in career path. So im undecided if I should drop out and reapply in September or just stick to this year and try just to complete it even though it won't have any use because ill have to do another foundation anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by egdum)
    Hey guys,

So my current situation is as follows, I'm currently studying a foundation degree that I have no interest in and its way to late to switch course. I have made friends with people on the course, and I have a social life. The issue that im having is I wanted to change course because of a change in career path. So im undecided if I should drop out and reapply in September or just stick to this year and try just to complete it even though it won't have any use because ill have to do another foundation anyway.
    What foundation are you studying and what course do you want to study? It wouldn't be a terrible idea to contact the universities you want to attend with your new choice of course and ask them if your foundation year is transferrable.

Also, something to consider, is your current foundation year an integrated course? If so, and you're receiving student finance, will you be able to fund the final year of university after switching to another foundation? Unfortunately, you only receive 4 years of student finance, one of which you would have used on the current foundation. It's definitely worth you contacting the admissions team of other courses to ask before making any drastic decisions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uwotuwot)
    What foundation are you studying and what course do you want to study? It wouldn't be a terrible idea to contact the universities you want to attend with your new choice of course and ask them if your foundation year is transferrable.

Also, something to consider, is your current foundation year an integrated course? If so, and you're receiving student finance, will you be able to fund the final year of university after switching to another foundation? Unfortunately, you only receive 4 years of student finance, one of which you would have used on the current foundation. It's definitely worth you contacting the admissions team of other courses to ask before making any drastic decisions.
    Im studying an engineering foundation integrated to construction management. I tried contacting admissions team who pretty much told me that couldn't change course - I'm wanting to switch computing foundation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by egdum)
    Im studying an engineering foundation integrated to construction management. I tried contacting admissions team who pretty much told me that couldn't change course - I'm wanting to switch computing foundation
    Being an engineering-based foundation I'm assuming you study maths and physics? Those are both asked for in computer science, so you should be good here.

I'm not suggesting you ask your current university to swap courses, instead, you should contact the universities you wish to attend for the new course. Hopefully, they will accept it as a transferable qualification, assuming you meet some conditions of theirs. I'm unsure if this is uncommon, but I had a friend who studied her integrated foundation elsewhere and applied to my university once she'd completed it.

ReputationRep:
    Edit: I thinking about doing an open uni course in September

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.