Turn on thread page Beta

Help. My parents wants me to work after my Bs so i can save money for my posgrad watch

ReputationRep:
    Im not sure about this idea. My parents are willing to send me abroad for my Bachelor of science, but my parents told me once i complete the degree i have to work to save money for PhD (since they need to support my sibblings education too)

Now, obviously, I can't say at the moment whether i'll be eligable for a PhD or not. Im still finishing up my A levels. But If i am and i'm still willing to do a PhD by that time, my parents should provie for me.

I hear people saying gap between Bs (hons) and PhD isn't advisable.
    I also know that doing work and Phd at the same time isn't advisable either

I don't know... really... and i keep thinking about all these.

Alternatively, i could take a gap year between A levels and undergrad, and just apply the following year in local universities. And when i finish my Bs there, then i can pursue postgrad abroad. But at the moment my parents don't like the idea of gap year and would rather me go abroad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guppies)
    Now, obviously, I can't say at the moment whether i'll be eligable for a PhD or not. Im still finishing up my A levels. But If i am and i'm still willing to do a PhD by that time, my parents should provie for me.
    Your parents should provide for you until you're 18. Anymore is their choice. Offering to pay for a BSc abroad is already very generous IMO.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Why are your parents paying for your education? Also most PhDs are fully funded....
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Im not sure about this idea. My parents are willing to send me abroad for my Bachelor of science, but my parents told me once i complete the degree i have to work to save money for PhD (since they need to support my sibblings education too)

Alternatively, i could take a gap year between A levels and undergrad, and just apply the following year in local universities. And when i finish my Bs there, then i can pursue postgrad abroad. But at the moment my parents don't like the idea of gap year and would rather me go abroad.
    Heya! I won't comment on the idea of whether your parents should or should not provide for you, as that is often dictated by social and culture mores.

However, note that PhDs should be fully-funded. "Should" is of course the operative word, in that there are some that aren't, but you should always be able to find a grant in order to do the PhD if it's not fully funded already by an institution. A PhD should be a fully independent step into your career, and the general advice is that unless you're fully funded, you shouldn't take it on.

ReputationRep:

If you want to get a PhD you need to be a top top student to be eligible
    there's all kinds of bursaries, funding and schemes out there but you need to have consistently outstanding results and a commitment to your line of study if funding is going to be an issue and you need to go it alone

Do you really need to go abroad for your Bachelor of Science? If abroad means a better, more respectable university than your local ones probably a good idea. Otherwise no. Also depends what do you consider local. my uni is 4 hours from home so i have to commute at the start and end of each term. some people i know get to go home at the weekend because they only live an hour away.

For a PhD you often need a masters (postgrad). To be eligible for a Masters or a Postgrad you need to get a decent Bachelors degree, so focus on that first.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 10, 2018

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.