Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so this is probably a silly question but I thought it was better ti ask and look stupid than to not say anything and then suffer for it.

All of my A-level teachers have mentioned wider reading to me, I understand what they mean and I have some ideas as to particular books I want to read and all, but then I come across a problem with a probably obvious solution lolol.

How do you make wider reading 'useful'? In particular on teacher said to my class that we needed some sort of proof, rather than just saying we had read some books.

So does this just mean pure note taking from wider reading books? Or is it more like a book report sort of thing? Or maybe I should go even futher than that and make spider diagrams of information covered in the books I read?

The answer is probably really obvious and I'm just being stupid, sorry - but any advice would be really appreciated! And if there's a possible way to link it to my A-level subjects more specifically (I'm taking History, Physics and Psychology) that woupd he especially brilliant!

Thanks! ^_^
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hi I study History, for AS I did 0 further reading. With the exception of a few handouts given to us by teachers. I got an A.

For year 13 we have to do a lot of reading for the coursework so I don't know if that counts as further reading as its a requirement . But we do also have to take note, you could try the Cornell method of note taking?

You will be able to find a lot of relevants books for further reading for history , what periods are you studying? Compulsory accounts are awesome to read and will be impressive imo also general historiography books

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.