Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    This is a ridiculous claim. The only sanction the police can dispense is a formal caution. There are strict rules on doing so which they have to follow and they cannot give one for an indictable offence without permission from the DPP.

Most significantly, nobody can receive a formal caution without having admitted the crime they are being cautioned for. How, then, can the police be dispensing unmerited punishments to blacks?
    The police decide who to stop and search.
    They investigate and respond to calls from the public if an incident has occurred.
    They don’t record all crime that is reported to them.
    They can choose who to arrest.
    They give evidence in court.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YaliaV)
    Yes, I'm sure Will Smith's children have to struggle a lot in life and haven't had everything handed to them on a silver platter...

Privilege comes mainly from connections/money and not race. I think there was a statistic that black people are more likely to go to university in the UK and even in America those from an East Asian background tend to earn more on average. The term "white privilege" is a nonsense.
    Are you serious? Most people especially not black people are not highest paid Hollywood actors.

Anyway I can't stand the **** that got randomly stirred on that person's profile post. If you know for a fact that the person didn't work hard and made it into a top university then maybe accuse them of things. I don't like being involuntarily dragged in racial sjw foolishness if some ******* thinks they can speak for me. I'm not saying privilege doesn't exist but in this case and many others people talk **** out their mouths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    What you’re referring to is regarding the way that the CPS handle offences. It doesn’t account for the majority of (more minor) offences that the police deal with..which is why people continue to accuse the police of institutional racism, not the CPS.
    So institutional racism is not responsible for increased jail populations?

ReputationRep:
    Read the rest of the thread
    It proves nothing. There's a lot of fancy terms thrown about but very little substance - however if you have a smoking gun please enlighten me. This appears to be an obfuscation tactic

Its entirely statistical grab bagging using bad logic as in there is x percent more of y therefore our premise is true. Even basic logic says that you can state when a premise (p) is present then a consequent, (q) can always be present BUT this doesn't extend to because Q therefore P - it's invalid logic. You're looking at stats and saying 'therefore racism'. There is no causal link or evidence other than the stat itself thus invalid logic http://www.nativlang.com/logic/logic-truth-tables.php

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatOldGuy)
    It’s possible but unlikely, id say it’s more likely they commit more of certain types of crimes making it more likely to be jailed or longer in jail.

Why would judges be racist? They pass judgement on people from every walk of life so it would be difficult to stereotype people in their mind when all they see is bad in everyone.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    The practices of the the police contribute to official statistics, the number of stop and searches, the rates of arrests, cases that go to court and therefore the prison population.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GonvilleBromhead)
    It proves nothing. There's a lot of fancy terms thrown about but very little substance - however if you have a smoking gun please enlighten me. This appears to be an obfuscation tactic
    Ok, so I don’t care to convince or enlighten you. Lots of people including you have asked me the same question. I’m not going to talk about the same thing to multiple people.

ReputationRep:

Its entirely statistical grab bagging using bad logic as in there is x percent more of y therefore our premise is true. Even basic logic says that you can state when a premise (p) is present then a consequent, (q) can always be present BUT this doesn't extend to because Q therefore P - it's invalid logic. You're looking at stats and saying 'therefore racism'. There is no causal link or evidence other than the stat itself thus invalid logic http://www.nativlang.com/logic/logic-truth-tables.php
    I’m not delusional. I’m not pulling it out my a**. There has been plenty of prior evidence of the police being institutionally racist. I don’t know why people can’t just accept that it could still be ongoing, especially given that in 2015, a met chief said that they couldn’t entirely account for some of the police practices and so they accept that claims of institutional racism are somewhat justified.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Big_Jon)
    Basically it seems that when a non white person see a white person do better then them they cry white privilages. Yet when a non white person gets a job and the white person doesn't even if they are better then the non white person, they call that progress or being a more diverse company. Again it like when lower class white people see EU national do better then them, they claim they are cheating the benifits system you could say EU privilages. It's just people kicking over a fuss when things are not going there way.

It be interested if a company that has a whole white workforce because they employ those people because they were the best canidate for the job at the time at employment, how that company is branded. Is it a racist company? A non diverse company? A equal company? It's sort of seems that non white people can use they race or religion to get things, because they can force the other party to think they are being racist by denying them their thing. Which is just positive discrimination.
    The highlighted is the perfect pill for perpetual failure and underachievement.

No better and more potent driver of failure than having an excuse for failure prior to even making an attempt.

The community that swallows that pill the most would be the ones that fail and underachieve the most.

Mentally-ill SJWs are destroying many communities.

ReputationRep:
    The practices of the the police contribute to official statistics, the number of stop and searches, the rates of arrests, cases that go to court and therefore the prison population.
    Oh! I see the problem here. You see 'white privilege' as a guy with drugs not being stopped and searched so he doesn't go to prison.

If you don't want to go to prison for drugs: Don't carry drugs. If I were walking down the street and were stopped and searched(And that has happened once, though I recognize that probably others might get stopped and searched more), I would not go to trial because I do not have drugs on me. Nor do I carry a gun or lethal weapon, 12 inch knife or anything of the sort.

If you live in the projects and run with a gang, you are more likely to carry guns or drugs. Do you agree that this is probably the case?

https://www.nationalgangcenter.gov/S...s/Demographics

According to this, in 2011, 35.6% of all gang members were black.while just under 12% were white. This despite the fact that whites make up 63% of the US population while those who are black represent 12.5% of the population. This indicates that those who are white are 18 times less likely to be in a gang than someone who is black.

This means that, if you are a police officer and looking to crack down on gang violence, you should stop and search someone who is black at roughly 18 times the rate of someone who is white. That's not racist - That's simple math. Feel free to do the division yourself. Here's how I figured it out:

% of gang population / % of gangs = (ethnic likelihood of being part of gang)
    (Ethnic likelihood of being part of gang)/(ethnic likelihood of being part of gang) = difference.

The reason this is important is that if you are cracking down on gang violence - Maybe due to a robbery committed by a gang, or drugs being dealt by said gang or weapons being imported by said gang - Then you need to concentrate on those who are likely to be a part of it.

According to this:

https://www.dosomething.org/facts/11-facts-about-gangs

Gang violence is one of the leading causes of violent crime, so if you want to crack down on violent crime you need to crack down on gangs.

If you want to crack down on gangs, there will be a disproportionate number of people of black ethnicity stopped and searched. That's basic probability, which is morally neutral and not racist at all. It's just math.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsfantanoooo)
    White privilege does exist. But tbh class privilege is more prominent. Absolutely does my head in when middle class BME want to chat about privilege when they grew up in a nice semi detached house in a good part of the country.

There's a fine line between acknowledging privilege and using it as an excuse for your failures.
    Well said, mate.

Obama's daughter in Harvard cannot sit her arse down to complain about white privilege against some trailer-living white in Arizona.

ReputationRep:
    To clarify because heck there are some dumb people here who are throwing around the term 'white privilege' like the way people often (falsely) use 'heterophobia'. White privilege is simply the (sad) fact that, due to having a light skin colour, you are able to enjoy certain privileges over coloured people. For example, things like a black man being more likely to get arrested for committing a crime than a white man: THAT'S white privilege. What the image here demonstrates (on the white person's side) has nothing to do with race; they clearly worked ****ing hard to get to med school and the other person is trying to discount the first person's struggles and hardships by misusing 'white privilege', saying that 'oh, because you're white it was probably easy for you to get it, you should thank your skin colour for getting you there and not all the hard work you did'.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so I don’t care to convince or enlighten you. Lots of people including you have asked me the same question. I’m not going to talk about the same thing to multiple people.
    Otherwise known as intellectual laziness or fabrication. Good talk

ReputationRep:
    The police decide who to stop and search.
    They investigate and respond to calls from the public if an incident has occurred.
    They don’t record all crime that is reported to them.
    They can choose who to arrest.
    They give evidence in court.
    That is why the Police arrest prosecute and lock-up more Polish and Romanians than Nigerians and Jamaicans?

Maybe Nigeria and Jamaica are part of the EU and Poland and Romania are part oof the AU. Is that not the case?

WHITE PRIVILEGE!

ReputationRep:
    Otherwise known as intellectual laziness or fabrication. Good talk
    Choosing not to entertain the same thing over and over again is laziness? I suppose ignoring people who continue to quote me bs is also lazy? I’ll happily be lazy then!

ReputationRep:
    Choosing not to entertain the same thing over and over again is laziness? I suppose ignoring people who continue to quote me bs is also lazy? I’ll happily be lazy then!
    If you are the one a lot of people are choosing to quote, then maybe you need to think maybe you are the one people find is saying the most indefensible crap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 14102017)
    Attachment 697398

Sounds like someone is jealous of this persons success so they are putting them down.
    see, this is why im not really a fan of the blacks... jk im black maself and totally agree that its white privilidge you guys have it so easy

ReputationRep:
    Oh! I see the problem here. You see 'white privilege' as a guy with drugs not being stopped and searched so he doesn't go to prison
    Why shouldn't black people be as free as whites to use drugs? Sounds like quite a nice privilege to have to me.

ReputationRep:
    Oh! I see the problem here. You see 'white privilege' as a guy with drugs not being stopped and searched so he doesn't go to prison.

If you don't want to go to prison for drugs: Don't carry drugs. If I were walking down the street and were stopped and searched(And that has happened once, though I recognize that probably others might get stopped and searched more), I would not go to trial because I do not have drugs on me. Nor do I carry a gun or lethal weapon, 12 inch knife or anything of the sort.

If you live in the projects and run with a gang, you are more likely to carry guns or drugs. Do you agree that this is probably the case?

https://www.nationalgangcenter.gov/S...s/Demographics

According to this, in 2011, 35.6% of all gang members were black.while just under 12% were white. This despite the fact that whites make up 63% of the US population while those who are black represent 12.5% of the population. This indicates that those who are white are 18 times less likely to be in a gang than someone who is black.

This means that, if you are a police officer and looking to crack down on gang violence, you should stop and search someone who is black at roughly 18 times the rate of someone who is white. That's not racist - That's simple math. Feel free to do the division yourself. Here's how I figured it out:

% of gang population / % of gangs = (ethnic likelihood of being part of gang)
    (Ethnic likelihood of being part of gang)/(ethnic likelihood of being part of gang) = difference.

The reason this is important is that if you are cracking down on gang violence - Maybe due to a robbery committed by a gang, or drugs being dealt by said gang or weapons being imported by said gang - Then you need to concentrate on those who are likely to be a part of it.

According to this:

https://www.dosomething.org/facts/11-facts-about-gangs

Gang violence is one of the leading causes of violent crime, so if you want to crack down on violent crime you need to crack down on gangs.

If you want to crack down on gangs, there will be a disproportionate number of people of black ethnicity stopped and searched. That's basic probability, which is morally neutral and not racist at all. It's just math.
    You’ve just said that it’s fine for the police to assume that someone is a criminal because they’re black. That’s the very definition of institutional racism. I guess it’s okay for us to assume someone is a terrorist because they’re asian?

ReputationRep:
    You’ve just said that it’s fine for the police to assume that someone is a criminal because they’re black. That’s the very definition of institutional racism. I guess it’s okay for us to assume someone is a terrorist because they’re asian?
    Is that what you think I said? Please reread and tell me where the confusion is that you think I said 'Assume people who are black are criminal' and I will explain.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.