Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A Levels Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi 👋
    I'm currently in Year 11 preparing for my GCSEs. But I now need to start applying for A Levels.
    I'm currently thinking of choosing;
    Sociology
    History
    Religious Studies
    Do you think this is the right choice for wanting to do a degree in Law?
    And is it hard?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Badgirl55)
    Hi 👋
    I'm currently in Year 11 preparing for my GCSEs. But I now need to start applying for A Levels.
    Sociology
    History
    Religious Studies
    And is it hard?
    Yeah that’s fine
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reece.W.J)
    Yeah that’s fine
    Thank you for replying! Do you do A Levels? If so is it hard?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've just applied for my law degree, and I'm studying sociology too. I personally think that, having reflected on it, it would be a better investment of your time to study English for example. I don't find sociology particularly relevant to what I want to do. That said, its still a generally accepted subject.

ReputationRep:
    Hi 👋
    Sociology
    History
    Religious Studies
    And is it hard?
    I would change sociology as if you are applying for a competitive university you might be at a disadvantage, so maybe do something like maths or english literature or even a language.Maths a level is valued no matter what course you apply for.This is what I think but maybe I am wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Hi 👋
    Sociology
    History
    Religious Studies
    And is it hard?
    I'd say that those are pretty good choices for law. History is especially good as even though there are no required subjects for law, history is often highly recommended due to the skills involved. Sociology and RS will probably be fine too if you're interested and think you can do well, although as a previous poster has said, English Literature may prove to be more useful. However, if you enjoy sociology and RS more and think you'll do better, I don't see why you shouldn't take them.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for replying! Do you do A Levels? If so is it hard?
    Yes I’m in year 12 doing AS level in chemistry economics and geography actually thinking about law myself atm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aimee B)
    Hi, I've just applied for my law degree, and I'm studying sociology too. I personally think that, having reflected on it, it would be a better investment of your time to study English for example. I don't find sociology particularly relevant to what I want to do. That said, its still a generally accepted subject.
    So is sociology not a good subject to take for law? I wouldn't do English A Level as it's not a subject I particularly like. However, do you think something like a Science would replace that and give me a better chance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ecila21)
    I'd say that those are pretty good choices for law. History is especially good as even though there are no required subjects for law, history is often highly recommended due to the skills involved. Sociology and RS will probably be fine too if you're interested and think you can do well, although as a previous poster has said, English Literature may prove to be more useful. However, if you enjoy sociology and RS more and think you'll do better, I don't see why you shouldn't take them.
    Thank you I've taken it into account although I wouldn't do English Literature as I dislike it and find it boring. What other A level do you think would be a good choice in replace?

ReputationRep:
    do a science language or maths
    i would go for maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous1502)
    I would change sociology as if you are applying for a competitive university you might be at a disadvantage, so maybe do something like maths or english literature or even a language.Maths a level is valued no matter what course you apply for.This is what I think but maybe I am wrong.
    Thank you for the reply. I just need to research more about sociology as I'm not confident about what it is about fully to make my final decision

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the reply. I just need to research more about sociology as I'm not confident about what it is about fully to make my final decision
    Sociology is seen as a soft subject and not facilitating.My maths teacher told me some admission tutor for history said they look first if you did a level maths then history a level, I don't know if there is any truth to that or if he is making this stuff up?I know you are applying for law but it's a humanities subject like history.

ReputationRep:
    So is sociology not a good subject to take for law? I wouldn't do English A Level as it's not a subject I particularly like. However, do you think something like a Science would replace that and give me a better chance?
    I wouldnt say sociology isnt a bad subject to take for law - but I also don't think its a particularly good one. Science would be good. I also take psychology, which I find far more interesting than sociology and I feel like I've gained good transferable skills from it (also from what I've heard its a more respectable subject).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Sociology is perfectly acceptable. Ignore "Anonymous1502", or rather, read through their other posts and make a judgment on how much you value such a year 12 student's opinion - particularly given they're not even applying to the same subject, and their approach to apply to their own subject is questionable at best.

Your subject choices are fine, provided you're interested in them and are confident you can get As in them. You do not need to change the subjects unless you aren't interested in them. Science subjects are no better preparation for Law than Sociology or RS and worse in the sense you don't have as much analytical essay writing preparation for when you actually get on the course.

While STEM subjects are reputable, Sociology and RS are, despite claims to the contrary, perfectly acceptable by almost every major UK university. The only one I know off the top of my head that would have any qualms is LSE, who are quite choosy about subjects. Even most colleges at Oxbridge will find that combination acceptable.

ReputationRep:
    For law I’d do maths, a science (preferably physics) and two from history/English lit/a modern language

ReputationRep:
    Sociology is seen as a soft subject and not facilitating.My maths teacher told me some admission tutor for history said they look first if you did a level maths then history a level, I don't know if there is any truth to that or if he is making this stuff up?I know you are applying for law but it's a humanities subject like history.
    I wonder if this is true. I was going to take Maths but didn’t in the end because I don’t really enjoy it

ReputationRep:
    Thank you I've taken it into account although I wouldn't do English Literature as I dislike it and find it boring. What other A level do you think would be a good choice in replace?
    Well you could stick with sociology and still be fine but other subjects to consider if you'd prefer to switch could be a language, geography or a STEM subject if you want to add a bit of variety. Just pick what you enjoy most and you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    Sociology is perfectly acceptable. Ignore "Anonymous1502", or rather, read through their other posts and make a judgment on how much you value such a year 12 student's opinion - particularly given they're not even applying to the same subject, and their approach to apply to their own subject is questionable at best.

Your subject choices are fine, provided you're interested in them and are confident you can get As in them. You do not need to change the subjects unless you aren't interested in them. Science subjects are no better preparation for Law than Sociology or RS and worse in the sense you don't have as much analytical essay writing preparation for when you actually get on the course.

While STEM subjects are reputable, Sociology and RS are, despite claims to the contrary, perfectly acceptable by almost every major UK university. The only one I know off the top of my head that would have any qualms is LSE, who are quite choosy about subjects. Even most colleges at Oxbridge will find that combination acceptable.
    Thank you so much for that. Even though my subjects arent that reputable for Law, I'm still going to do them as I believe I can get the best grade in them rather than doing something I won't like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fonzworth)
    I wonder if this is true. I was going to take Maths but didn’t in the end because I don’t really enjoy it
    Unfortunately there is some truth to this. Admission tutors do actually prefer candidates who take A-Level maths for Law. A good combination is normally Maths, History or English and the third one can be anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clutch A)
    Unfortunately there is some truth to this. Admission tutors do actually prefer candidates who take A-Level maths for Law. A good combination is normally Maths, History or English and the third one can be anything.
    Yeah they may prefer it but it doesn't necessarily mean that they don't consider other Alevels in making a final decision on the course. My cousin took Sociology, RS and History for A Levels and she is currently at University studying a Law Degree

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.