Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Which is considered more prestigious and which is better in terms of their computer science departments for postgrad? If anyone could tell me the pros and cons of each that would be great!! (International student asking)

ReputationRep:
    Bump^
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I'm more aware of Southampton for CS specifically - as it's one of their premier departments, alongside SOES and Engineering. KCL is good on the whole however, so it depends somewhat on your long term goals.

I'm somewhat inclined to suggest if you want to pursue CS related industry careers (e.g. development, software engineering, systems engineering) Southampton may be slightly better due to the greater scope for fundamental engineering content and extensive programming and software engineering options. If you just want to go into Banking, KCL is probably the better option. Either would be suitable for pursuing higher academia, although depending on your area of interest one may be better than the other - take a look at their research pages to see what areas they each focus on.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.