Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently working full time and have found it incredibly difficult to organise a school experience with my limited amount of holiday!

I have on week organised in November and I am currently working for Explore Learning, so I have a good knowledge of the curriculum and have spent a good deal of time in schools running workshops/assembly's and building relationships with teachers.

I am worried that I am missing the observational element at the moment. Do you think I should apply and talk about what I hope to get out of the experience or wait until I have completed it so that I can reflect on it? I am concerned about getting my application in as early as possible.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    It's a lot better to talk about the realities of teaching after you've done at least some of your observations. You can still write the rest of the PS and get everything else ready before you apply

ReputationRep:
    The advise I was given was to have at least three days of school experience before you make an application. Your personal statement should effectively be a reflection of your school observations.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I'm in a similar situation. Applying for secondary physics at Manchester Met, and only got 1 days secondary Experience so far. Schools have not really been replying to my emails asking to visit or volunteer.
    UCAS application just went live...

ReputationRep:
    Similar problem here. I emailed the pgce course leader at my uni and she said I should try to get at least 3 days before applying, but I'm only visiting the school once a week so it's going to take me until Xmas to get a full 7 days work exp.
    I've only done one day so far but there's still a lot you can learn in one day looking at 3 or 4 different year groups, so I'm going to write about this in my personal statement and sort out the rest of my application, and then have send it when I've completed 3 days experience. As long as you mention that you're continuing to volunteer I think most providers will understand.

Also just some advice, I found that the schools who offer teaching training are the ones who are less likely to take you on for observations/classroom experience because they get a lot of requests, and they're busy with pgce students. I contacted schools that aren't on the ucas search, and also contacted 2 new schools in my borough with just Year 7 students at the moment, and they got back to me quickly.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soushi)
    Hi

I'm in a similar situation. Applying for secondary physics at Manchester Met, and only got 1 days secondary Experience so far. Schools have not really been replying to my emails asking to visit or volunteer.
    UCAS application just went live...
    You could have zero experience and you would still be given a place for secondary physics so there is no need to delay your application. Make sure you check out the scholarships: http://www.iop.org/education/teach/itts/page_52632.html

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.