Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Him or Her?

ReputationRep:
    No one. You both do a runner

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by entertainmyfaith)
    there seems to be the stereotype/expectation for males to pay for the first date entirely; not quite sure why. i'd rather the bill was split
    if ur a girl youre lying
    if ur a man u don't go on dates

ReputationRep:
    It depends xD Most time the guy pays...but what about same-sex dates O_O does that just cause the world to implode?

ReputationRep:
    For the first date for me it's whoever asked the other person on the date...After that you either split the bill or it's whoever gets the card on the table first

ReputationRep:
    Whoever asks the other person out is the one who pays.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angrypoliceman)
    if ur a girl youre lying
    if ur a man u don't go on dates
    wdym lying? i'm a girl; i've never been in the situation of going on a date yet but particularly if the date doesn't go well i'd feel guilty for the man footing the entire bill.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Whoever asked out who.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Depends. I think it's fair to split the bill. If one is taking the other out though it can be fair for them to pay. If I want to eat at Frankie and Benny's but he insists on the Ritz then he can pay for my stupidly expensive meal. Ditto the other way round. If you're the one deciding on expensive food when they aren't comfortable spending that much you need to be willing to contribute to theirs.
    On a normal date it's not fair for a girl to assume the guy should be paying, but if the guy want to pay ten fine.

ReputationRep:
    whoever asks for the date pays

take it in turns. but its customary for men to pay for the first. and if he really likes you he'd be stupid not to. most women won't agree to a second date if you don't pay for the first.

ReputationRep:
    Shouldn't the thread title be 'whom pays for the first date?', or should instead the OP say 'he or she?'?

ReputationRep:
    Split the bill.

ReputationRep:
    I think say to split it but if the guy offers, I think you should let him

ReputationRep:
    When the bill comes Say "I'm just gonna pop to the toilet"
    Then DIP FROM THE SCENE

ReputationRep:
    unless one party insists on something stupidly expensive then it should be split 50/50 imo

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 23, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.