Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Let me make this clear - I know I have brilliant grades and I am very thankful to God and everyone else such as my parents and teachers. No, I have no ego, just pure worry lol.

Last week, I came to get to know a uni student who said that it was in English language that i should've got the A star in more than other subjects. And this this "ruins" (along the lines of that word, he didn't exactly say ruins but i think thats what he meant, he was trying to be nice lol) the fact that i got an a star in all other subjects - that it wouldn't be as significant anymore that i have 10 a stars.I know that it is a core subject, and also very important but i can't seem to get this off my head as he is a current student (psychology at Leicester) and it makes me feel as though my hard work has gone just for one grade. I want to do medicine at Oxford, which is indeed a GCSE - heavy med school which is also very competetive, but do you guys think that the B (6) puts me down TOO far, in comparision to those who have 100% proportion of a star grades at GCSE? Would it help to state that I'm predicted AAAA for as - level and hopefully will be predicted A*A*A*A* after mocks for next year?

Once again guys, PLEASE don't consider this as me showing off, i can't be asked to reply to such comments on this thread. Please give genuine advice and answers.

Thank you :-)
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Only a muppet thinks one grade ruins the rest, no one will care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Uranium Potato)
    Let me make this clear - I know I have brilliant grades and I am very thankful to God and everyone else such as my parents and teachers. No, I have no ego, just pure worry lol.

Last week, I came to get to know a uni student who said that it was in English language that i should've got the A star in more than other subjects. And this this "ruins" (along the lines of that word, he didn't exactly say ruins but i think thats what he meant, he was trying to be nice lol) the fact that i got an a star in all other subjects - that it wouldn't be as significant anymore that i have 10 a stars.I know that it is a core subject, and also very important but i can't seem to get this off my head as he is a current student (psychology at Leicester) and it makes me feel as though my hard work has gone just for one grade. I want to do medicine at Oxford, which is indeed a GCSE - heavy med school which is also very competetive, but do you guys think that the B (6) puts me down TOO far, in comparision to those who have 100% proportion of a star grades at GCSE? Would it help to state that I'm predicted AAAA for as - level and hopefully will be predicted A*A*A*A* after mocks for next year?

Once again guys, PLEASE don't consider this as me showing off, i can't be asked to reply to such comments on this thread. Please give genuine advice and answers.

Your grades are within the proportion of A* grades that candidates have when interviewed for medicine at Oxford, so you're good. I believe they count each subject equally when adding up A*s.

You just have to get ~ 6,6,4A in BMAT

ReputationRep:
    Unless you're applying to Oxford or wanting to study a degree in English language it really doesn't matter.

ReputationRep:

I know the feeling. 7 A’s & 1 B. That B was in Maths and I was 1 mark away from an A.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:

Lol that psychology guy is talking out of his rear. You're GCSEs are more than perfectly acceptable to apply for medicine; it is quite obvious the English Language grade is anomalous to your other grades so I wouldn't worry about it too much. I myself got got 10A*s and 2As with one of the As in English Language (the other in film studies but who cares about that lol) and initially I was really annoyed because I always got A* in mocks etc. My English Teacher was like I should have got it remarked but it was too late and I just accepted it.

You do need to make sure you ace your A levels and get very high predictions and do as much extra things you can do boost your application- Oxford will be very competitive of course. I have applied for Engineering at Cambridge University this year with A*A*A*A* prediction as I did well in my AS examinations and internal exams.

Good Luck :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymouspsych)
    Lol that psychology guy is talking out of his rear. You're GCSEs are more than perfectly acceptable to apply for medicine; it is quite obvious the English Language grade is anomalous to your other grades so I wouldn't worry about it too much. I myself got got 10A*s and 2As with one of the As in English Language (the other in film studies but who cares about that lol) and initially I was really annoyed because I always got A* in mocks etc. My English Teacher was like I should have got it remarked but it was too late and I just accepted it.

You do need to make sure you ace your A levels and get very high predictions and do as much extra things you can do boost your application- Oxford will be very competitive of course. I have applied for Engineering at Cambridge University this year with A*A*A*A* prediction as I did well in my AS examinations and internal exams.

Good Luck :-)
    Thank you very much, good luck to you too. Please pm me if and when you get in. Thanks :-)

ReputationRep:
    Honestly I think you'll be fine. It is a little wobbly because English Language is a really important GCSE, but a B is really good. Definitely apply and go for it, because if you smash the exams and interviews they won't care about this one GCSE (hopefully, don't take my word for it as I am not an expert on Oxford).

ReputationRep:

no it doesn't, they won't care at all. even that may be an overstatement.

ReputationRep:
    My English literature was my worst result (out of 10 A*’s and 3 A’s): I got a 7, but was a few UMS points off an 8. I think I might have ended up with a B if I hadn’t spent 12 hours straight memorising quotes for each exam.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    At least you got A*s.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.