Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How are your GCSEs going so far? Watch

• View Poll Results: How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Great!
    26.52%
    Rubbish
    23.30%
    Somewhere in the middle...
    50.18%

ReputationRep:
    I'm in Yr12 and doing Maths, FM, Chemistry, Physics, and Elelctronics self-taught.

I also got my school to sign me up to Italian and Polish GCSE, and I'm hoping they might consider signing me up to Chemistry GCSE because I really messed up my unit 3 which narrowly cost me an A*. I haven't started revising yet, so I'll have to see how it goes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VirgoStrain)
    I'm in Yr12 and doing Maths, FM, Chemistry, Physics, and Elelctronics self-taught.

I also got my school to sign me up to Italian and Polish GCSE, and I'm hoping they might consider signing me up to Chemistry GCSE because I really messed up my unit 3 which narrowly cost me an A*. I haven't started revising yet, so I'll have to see how it goes.
    What is it like doing those A-levels? I want to do Maths, FM, Physics and Chemistry. Is it alot of work compared to GCSE?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by furryface12)
    They're good subjects! Ah :/ it is better to spread them out a little bit if you can, if only for your own sanity. Try an hour a day or something and gradually work upwards, some structure might help
    The subjects are great indeed. It's just that the texts are boring. But I am improving slowly.

ReputationRep:
    It's half term, finally! Or even halfway through or the end for some of you... Six weeks into the school year, how are your GCSEs going? Any subjects you're finding particularly easy or hard? Anyone wish they'd picked different ones yet?

Whether you're in year 10 or 11, share how you're doing and how you want to improve (or how you have improved if it would help other people) here
    Let's just say that I am not doing great at science and leave it at that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueberrypi)
    What is it like doing those A-levels? I want to do Maths, FM, Physics and Chemistry. Is it alot of work compared to GCSE?
    Not really, but then again I am in the top 1% of GCSE results, what with 10 A*'s and 3 A's (the latter of which I'm very bitter about, mind you).

I have free periods everyday, which gives me plenty of time to do extracuriccular stuff, like drama, piano, and viola exam preparation, as well as the Electronics A-Level and language GCSE's. Oh and I do orchestra, a-cappella, and Chemistry and Electronics STEM projects. I'm also applying for 3 work experience placements as well as 2 competitions... lots on my plate this year.

ReputationRep:
    So far, I am finding the increased workload quite challenging
    especially as the news of Mock Exams next months hangs
    overhead. I have already had my final GCSE Drama Exam for the
    devising section which went quite well. I just hope that my
    other exams like Maths also go as well.

ReputationRep:
    I have absolutely no motivation to revise, and I've got mock exams starting from Monday. Might as well just accept my death right now tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yoonseokk)
    I have absolutely no motivation to revise, and I've got mock exams starting from Monday. Might as well just accept my death right now tbh
    You need anything away that's distracting you for example your phone, think like this if you don't revise you wouldn't do as well as if you did revise. Also think about who it's affecting, it's you not your teacher, parents, brother etc…

Just try your best to revise and think positively.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't listen in class for vast majority of Year 10 in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Geography, and now I get to pay the price for that! I'm planning on doing about 64 hours of going through topics this half term (already done three days of 6/7 hours per day) and 3-4 hours a day after half term so I can get my grades up before the winter mocks (mainly in maths to see if I can get into set 1). I'm aware that's very excessive for GCSE, but I feel really guilty when I play games all day so...

If you're in Year 10, please listen in class so you don't get to do what I'm doing (learning a tonne of content from YouTube and revision guides in my own time). For a little bit of effort in class, you get a lot out of it by not having to do what I'm doing and instead having a much less time consuming and much easier process of revision.

If you're in Year 11 and you're in my shoes, you don't have to do what I'm doing by any means, but at least put some time into work into it so you don't have to rush a few weeks before your exams.

ReputationRep:
    I used to write notes a lot from the textbook and things like that, it's more interesting and you take it in better then you can go back and highlight, rewrite them etc if you want to later or make flashcards or something. Do you have ant guidance on what sort of thing your speaking needs to be about?

They're really impressive mock results! Talk to your teacher about what you need to focus on to improve your English but yeah, I always had the same problem though. Trying your best us great, keep it up!

They're good subjects! Ah :/ it is better to spread them out a little bit if you can, if only for your own sanity. Try an hour a day or something and gradually work upwards, some structure might help
    I can do my speaking and listening literally about ANYTHING but i was probably either gonna go for Project MK Ultra or something moderately interesting like mindsets.What do you think???

ReputationRep:
    You’ll be fine,just try your best.

ReputationRep:
    You're doing pretty good!!! Everyone finds English Language tricky so maybe just focus of Literature? My advice would be to just learn as many quotes as possible.

(Original post by Nikey)
    Mine are going quite well. In my mocks I got 4 9's, 2 8's, 1 7 and 2 6's which I'm pretty happy with. I'm working a lot harder than I was in year 10 but I'm enjoying it and I'm really excited for starting sixth form next year. Only negative is English (both Language and Literature - my mock grade 6's) as it's just so abstract and difficult. I thrive in science and maths but English is pretty awful. I'm trying my best though

ReputationRep:
    It's half term, finally! Or even halfway through or the end for some of you... Six weeks into the school year, how are your GCSEs going? Any subjects you're finding particularly easy or hard? Anyone wish they'd picked different ones yet?

Whether you're in year 10 or 11, share how you're doing and how you want to improve (or how you have improved if it would help other people) here
    Im in year 11 currently revising for mocks I think they're going good though. English language i got a 6 in last year and i need to figure out how to get higher. Which I will do the rest of this half term. My 3 sciences have been annoying though I know the content but the questions are so specific and sometimes it turns out they're asking a completely different thing to what I'm thinking. Other than that though hopefully on course for all 8s

ReputationRep:
    It's alright. Trying to revise maths and english alone with so much homework. The only downer, NO WIFI!!! but other than that fine.

ReputationRep:

They are going alright. Maths is my biggest worry along with french because im doing my french this year in Year 10 and early. I want to stay in the higher set and just carry on doing good in maths. HUH.

ReputationRep:
    In year 11 and now and doing alright on the whole, however I'm just finding history unbelievably overwhelming as there's so much content. I'm trying to revise for mocks but seem to be getting hardly anything done, I just don't have the time and when i do sit down to revise i get distracted and bored so easily, plus mocks are approaching worryingly quickly !

ReputationRep:
    Okay, apart from finding motivation to revise (I know it's early) but I'm worrying that I'm not going to know it all!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    All subjects are going great apart from english language paper 1 and writing section

ReputationRep:
    enjoying the challenge of all my subjects, hoping to do biology and chemistry and summat else at a level. my hardest subjects are definitively geography and computer science especially with the nea i’m starting in a few weeks😭
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by esrever)
    The subjects are great indeed. It's just that the texts are boring. But I am improving slowly.
    Improving slowly is good! Little bit at a time, you'll get there

(Original post by MisledGoddess)
    Let's just say that I am not doing great at science and leave it at that.
    What in particular do you find hard about science? Have you looked at the resources on TSR or anywhere like that?

(Original post by blueberrypi)
    I did all of those I don't remember the workload being particularly bad, the main thing is just to make sure you understand things as you go along and if you need help ask for it. Otherwise it all just adds up or as you haven't got your head round one thing you can't do the next. It saves so much work to just do stuff as you go rather than all at the end! But yeah, you'll be alright. Good luck!

You can do it! Anything is better than none and you probably know more than you think. If you have a revision guide then have a read through one of them, or even just sort out your notes and things so you know what you've got where? Or just pick a topic and write everything you know about it or a past paper. There's loads of little things you can do. Good luck

(Original post by Chloe Bayliss)
    So far, I am finding the increased workload quite challenging
    especially as the news of Mock Exams next months hangs
    overhead. I have already had my final GCSE Drama Exam for the
    devising section which went quite well. I just hope that my
    other exams like Maths also go as well.
    Are you in your first year or second? Workload can definitely be a challenge, I'm finding the same at the minute. Don't worry about mocks, they are daunting I know but they're there to help you and show what you need to work or need help on. Schools like to put a lot of emphasis on them beforehand but they are just to see how you're doing. Just do your best, that's all anyone can ask Well done on your drama exam, that must have been scary!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.