The Student Room Group

LSE or RHUL

I’m an international student who has offers from LSE and RHUL for Management. I’ve got others but I chose this two. I still can’t decide the university.

The reason to choose LSE is better réputation only for me. I prefer RHUL business course, and the campus as well. LSE Management is full of math and economics, therefore I think I won’t enjoy that.

Could you give me advices for that please ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lilytheuk
I’m an international student who has offers from LSE and RHUL for Management. I’ve got others but I chose this two. I still can’t decide the university.

The reason to choose LSE is better réputation only for me. I prefer RHUL business course, and the campus as well. LSE Management is full of math and economics, therefore I think I won’t enjoy that.

There is probably a fair gulf in employment prospects between the two; I'd seriously consider LSE again, but if you can't seem to have a liking to it, then maybe choose RHUL, if that's what will make you happy.
RHUL you said it yourself
Reply 3
I’m not sure about that, in the uk 100% but in my country probably “University of London” are all same. And is Royal Holloway recognised bad university in the uk ?

Original post by GradeA*UnderA
There is probably a fair gulf in employment prospects between the two; I'd seriously consider LSE again, but if you can't seem to have a liking to it, then maybe choose RHUL, if that's what will make you happy.
Reply 4
I am not sure, if I should choose by course or reputation

Original post by Jigsaws mum
RHUL you said it yourself
I am not sure, if I should choose by course or reputation

If you choose reputation you wont like the course like you said.
On the otherhand you will like the course at RHUL even of they got less of a rep
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Thanks, I wonder if I should go to LSE even I don’t like the course structure or not.

Original post by Jigsaws mum
If you choose reputation you wont like the course like you said.
On the otherhand you will like the course at RHUL even of they got less of a red
I’m not sure about that, in the uk 100% but in my country probably “University of London” are all same. And is Royal Holloway recognised bad university in the uk ?

No, it's a good university; it's just LSE is seen as one of the best.

LSE is far better than RHUL and it's management course is world class. It's not about whether you'll 'enjoy' the course, it's about whether it will give you the opportunities to succeed long term and find a job you'll enjoy. RHUL's course might be more enjoyable but it'll never carry the same reputation. I know people who've chosen worse units over good ones and they enjoy it at first but mostly they begin to regret it later on.
Reply 9

I don't think it's worth spending international tuition fees to go to a university which has no reputation internationally. And LSE's management course (and the quantitative and economics modules especially) is highly rated, and many management graduates end up in graduate jobs in banking, finance, management consulting, civil service, etc... many of these employers are selective when it comes to university reputation and don't often hold networking events at RHUL. If it was a choice between LSE and UCL/KCL/Warwick I'd say there's not much of a difference, but the difference between LSE and RHUL is far bigger.

LSE doesn't just give BSc management offers to anyone, it's selective and if you are good enough to get an offer I feel like you'd be wasting your talent by going to RHUL.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
No, it's a good university; it's just LSE is seen as one of the best.

Okay thank you !
Reply 11
Original post by Ladbants
LSE is far better than RHUL and it's management course is world class. It's not about whether you'll 'enjoy' the course, it's about whether it will give you the opportunities to succeed long term and find a job you'll enjoy. RHUL's course might be more enjoyable but it'll never carry the same reputation. I know people who've chosen worse units over good ones and they enjoy it at first but mostly they begin to regret it later on.

Oh, okay. But I feel like LSE’s Course is too difficult for me ? I’m scared if I get third or fail.
Reply 12
I’m from South Korea, but I want to work in japan. And either japan or South Korea all University Of London are same and in our country we never put University name on the business card either.
Oh, okay. But I feel like LSE’s Course is too difficult for me ? I’m scared if I get third or fail.

If they have given you an offer it's because they have determined from your previous academic results, teacher references and personal statements that you will do well on the course. Very few people drop out or get a third and if you are prepared to work hard you should do well. Btw management at lse is one of their easiest degrees compared to economics/maths/accounting and fin ana economics/ finance and it carries the same level of prestige and opportunities due to the LSE name.
Reply 14
Original post by FarhanHalim
If they have given you an offer it's because they have determined from your previous academic results, teacher references and personal statements that you will do well on the course. Very few people drop out or get a third and if you are prepared to work hard you should do well. Btw management at lse is one of their easiest degrees compared to economics/maths/accounting and fin ana economics/ finance and it carries the same level of prestige and opportunities due to the LSE name.

Oh I didn’t know that, but management department has to take modules from Math and economics department ? And I took gap year so I don’t remember math at all, that is the most anxious point for me for the study.
Oh I didn’t know that, but management department has to take modules from Math and economics department ? And I took gap year so I don’t remember math at all, that is the most anxious point for me for the study.

Yes they do but the mathematics modules in management (quantitative methods and statistical methods) are not as hard as the maths modules that economics and maths students take (Mathematical methods and elementary statistical theory), its suitable for people who haven't even done A Level maths or economics.
Reply 16
Original post by Trapz99
I don't think it's worth spending international tuition fees to go to a university which has no reputation internationally. And LSE's management course (and the quantitative and economics modules especially) is highly rated, and many management graduates end up in graduate jobs in banking, finance, management consulting, civil service, etc... many of these employers are selective when it comes to university reputation and don't often hold networking events at RHUL. If it was a choice between LSE and UCL/KCL/Warwick I'd say there's not much of a difference, but the difference between LSE and RHUL is far bigger.

LSE doesn't just give BSc management offers to anyone, it's selective and if you are good enough to get an offer I feel like you'd be wasting your talent by going to RHUL.

Maybe you’re right, but I feel like I can’t catch up the level also I’m not native English speaker then it’ll be harder than other English speaker. What about going LSE for Master ? In the uk bachelor degree is more important than master ?
Maybe you’re right, but I feel like I can’t catch up the level also I’m not native English speaker then it’ll be harder than other English speaker. What about going LSE for Master ? In the uk bachelor degree is more important than master ?

Half the people at LSE aren't native English speakers, some aren't even very fluent. The lecturers don't use particularly difficult English. If you're good enough to get an offer, you're probably good enough to succeed at the degree if you work hard. The bachelor degree is more important here, yeah, and LSE's Masters degrees in management and related fields are very, very hard to get into and they don't really take in many people from universities like RHUL. Going to lse for your masters is difficult.
Reply 18
Original post by Trapz99
Half the people at LSE aren't native English speakers, some aren't even very fluent. The lecturers don't use particularly difficult English. If you're good enough to get an offer, you're probably good enough to succeed at the degree if you work hard. The bachelor degree is more important here, yeah, and LSE's Masters degrees in management and related fields are very, very hard to get into and they don't really take in many people from universities like RHUL. Going to lse for your masters is difficult.

I see, my friend from RHUL went to Cambridge for Master so I thought they don’t care about previous university ?
So to you SOAS and city are sh1t?
Well you're pretty stupid mate

Quick Reply

Latest