Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    Half the people at LSE aren't native English speakers, some aren't even very fluent. The lecturers don't use particularly difficult English. If you're good enough to get an offer, you're probably good enough to succeed at the degree if you work hard. The bachelor degree is more important here, yeah, and LSE's Masters degrees in management and related fields are very, very hard to get into and they don't really take in many people from universities like RHUL. Going to lse for your masters is difficult.
    I see, my friend from RHUL went to Cambridge for Master so I thought they don’t care about previous university ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohanGRK)
    Where are you from, originally? I know very few countries where the "University of London" is a thing, particularly since all the colleges got their own degree awarding powers. It's usually the individual brand names carrying it forwards (e.g. King's, LSE, Imperial, etc). The other constituent universities (SOAS, LSHTM, UAL, UWE, UEL, even City) are just left out of the picture. They're either too **** in terms of their student intake, or don't have good 'street' rep.

Honestly, this is a classic case of being happier with the course vs better long-term connections and employment prospects. Are you willing to sacrifice part of your enthusiasm for that? That's up to you (I most definitely would, you might end up enjoying the modules more than you think).
    So to you SOAS and city are sh1t?
    Well you're pretty stupid mate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jigsaws mum)
    So to you SOAS and city are sh1t?
    Well you're pretty stupid mate
    They're not great. ABB unis with fairly average outcomes all round. Leagues below the good London unis.

And no, if you read my post carefully (which you didn't, being an opportunistic troll), you'd see me saying "sh*t" student intake or lack of "street" rep. Notice the bit about the student intake, and the 'or'. I imagine that it's pretty hard for you to focus when your posts are two sentences long, but you should really give it a try.

ReputationRep:
    They're not great. ABB unis with fairly average outcomes all round. Leagues below the good London unis.

And no, if you read my post carefully (which you didn't, being an opportunistic troll), you'd see me saying "sh*t" student intake or lack of "street" rep. Notice the bit about the student intake, and the 'or'. I imagine that it's pretty hard for you to focus when your posts are two sentences long, but you should really give it a try.
    "lack of street rep"
    Only an idiot like you would care what others think of your degree rather than doing the degree for yourself. Guess your one of those fools who cares if somebody else rates you.
    Plus don't degrade unis because you probably couldn't get into half of them.
    Keep it quiet fool

ReputationRep:
    "lack of street rep"
    Only an idiot like you would care what others think of your degree rather than doing the degree for yourself. Guess your one of those fools who cares if somebody else rates you.
    Plus don't degrade unis because you probably couldn't get into half of them.
    Keep it quiet fool
    I got into far tougher unis than the like of City and SOAS I didn't even realise you could get rejected from those two provided you met the offer grades (even if you don't, you'll still get in through Clearing).

You care about what others think of your degree when you try to get a job in a competitive field where HR recruitment efforts are focused onto a dozen or so universities. It kinda helps to have companies visit you, sponsor your societies and ambassador positions, and be willing to get you a first round interview.

ReputationRep:
    I got into far tougher unis than the like of City and SOAS I didn't even realise you could get rejected from those two provided you met the offer grades (even if you don't, you'll still get in through Clearing).

You care about what others think of your degree when you try to get a job in a competitive field where HR recruitment efforts are focused onto a dozen or so universities. It kinda helps to have companies visit you, sponsor your societies and ambassador positions, and be willing to get you a first round interview.
    So you assumed I got rejected from these unis, pretty stupid for someone who "got into far tougher" because I said those two unis because I thought they are good unis out of the ones you were trying to degrade. I haven't actually applied to any yet so what you talking about?

Just shows how "intelligent" you are arguing on a student forum.
    How did London met even take you in?

ReputationRep:
    So you assumed I got rejected from these unis, pretty stupid for someone who "got into far tougher" because I said those two unis because I thought they are good unis out of the ones you were trying to degrade. I haven't actually applied to any yet so what you talking about?

Just shows how "intelligent" you are arguing on a student forum.
    How did London met even take you in?
    Again, you've proven yourself to possess terrible levels of reading comprehension. The "you" wasn't referring to you specifically, but to "a person in general". Replace "you" with "one" or "an applicant". The impact is still the same.

I never made a claim about you applying or being rejected from anywhere, so hold your horses. You're the only one casting aspersions as to the level of university that the other has supposedly been rejected from (what with your London Met joke and everything). However, I will admit that your age is illuminating, and explains why you're both so bad at reading, arguing and insulting the other person. You come across as quite young.

You (yes, you) are also arguing on a student forum right now, so that point about intelligence cuts both ways. I'd still like to think that my arguments are a bit more focused than yours.

ReputationRep:
    Again, you've proven yourself to possess terrible levels of reading comprehension. The "you" wasn't referring to you specifically, but to "a person in general". Replace "you" with "one" or "an applicant". The impact is still the same.

I never made a claim about you applying or being rejected from anywhere, so hold your horses. You're the only one casting aspersions as to the level of university that the other has supposedly been rejected from (what with your London Met joke and everything). However, I will admit that your age is illuminating, and explains why you're both so bad at reading, arguing and insulting the other person. You come across as quite young.

You (yes, you) are also arguing on a student forum right now, so that point about intelligence cuts both ways. I'd still like to think that my arguments are a bit more focused than yours.
    You just said "I didn't realise you could get rejected from those two provided you met the offer (immature clearing joke)"
    ARE YOU THICK? YOU JUST SAID IT, you just said "I didn't know you could get rejected from those and I'm sure you'll get in from clearing". So don't back up something you didnt say and admit to that yes that is what you meant.

Shows that you didn't got to a "tough" uni because you can't even understand what you say yourself. Plus you don't sound very mature yourself mate. Grow up will you

ReputationRep:
    You just said "I didn't realise you could get rejected from those two provided you met the offer (immature clearing joke)"
    ARE YOU THICK? YOU JUST SAID IT, you just said "I didn't know you could get rejected from those and I'm sure you'll get in from clearing". So don't back up something you didnt say and admit to that yes that is what you meant.

Shows that you didn't got to a "tough" uni because you can't even understand what you say yourself. Plus you don't sound very mature yourself mate. Grow up will you
    Nope, I meant to generalise the argument, and for it to apply to all prospective applicants. I don't care enough about you to make silly insults about your university applications. That's your territory (London Met jokes aren't funny anymore).

You know you have reached peak irony when you accuse someone of immaturity, but have spammed two sentences in full caps in the previous paragraph.

We've gone woefully off topic, not least because your only contribution to this thread are a bunch of poorly made arguments made in response to unintentional ad hominems. It's actually rather funny when people misrepresent my views because they genuinely can't understand what I've said. It replaces whatever irritated feelings I may have had towards them with feelings of pity.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I meant to generalise the argument, and for it to apply to all prospective applicants. I don't care enough about you to make silly insults about your university applications. That's your territory (London Met jokes aren't funny anymore).

You know you have reached peak irony when you accuse someone of immaturity, but have spammed two sentences in full caps in the previous paragraph.

We've gone woefully off topic, not least because your only contribution to this thread are a bunch of poorly made arguments made in response to unintentional ad hominems. It's actually rather funny when people misrepresent my views because they genuinely can't understand what I've said. It replaces whatever irritated feelings I may have had towards them with feelings of pity.
    I said it in caps because you don't understand what you said and tried backing something up which you didn't intend to apply.
    And sure, we don't understand what you said because you're so clever and the way you type cannot be interpreted in one manner as suggested by yourself as you can't understand what you said yourself.

Laughable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lilytheuk)
    I see, my friend from RHUL went to Cambridge for Master so I thought they don’t care about previous university ?
    They do care and it's harder to get into a Cambridge masters course (especially management) from somewhere like RHUL compared to LSE, but at doesn't mean it's impossible. If you really do prefer RHUL you should go there but I do feel that you might not achieve your full potential if you choose to go there. LSE gets a lot of recognition from prestigious employers, they do a lot of networking events, presentations which can help you get an advantage in the applications process, making it easier to get top jobs. The same can't be said for RHUL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    They do care and it's harder to get into a Cambridge masters course (especially management) from somewhere like RHUL compared to LSE, but at doesn't mean it's impossible. If you really do prefer RHUL you should go there but I do feel that you might not achieve your full potential if you choose to go there. LSE gets a lot of recognition from prestigious employers, they do a lot of networking events, presentations which can help you get an advantage in the applications process, making it easier to get top jobs. The same can't be said for RHUL.
    Ok I understand LSE has more advantage for getting job, is there networking for Japanese market as well? It is very hard to work in the uk for me due to visa problems

ReputationRep:
    Ok I understand LSE has more advantage for getting job, is there networking for Japanese market as well? It is very hard to work in the uk for me due to visa problems
    Yeah there is. There are Asia careers fairs, Asia networking events. There is a huge international student population, mainly from Asia including Japan so firms who have offices in those countries do events for those students interested in careers back home. There's an Asia Careers society as well. I'm not sure about Japan in particular but there are a lot of Japanese people that come to LSE.

Plus, most large corporations will sponsor visas, banks and consultancy firms do for sure. What I've heard is many people apply for the internships and graduate jobs here in the UK and then request a transfer to the Japanese office or the Singapore office or the Indian office.

ReputationRep:
    Think about whether you wish to experience all the opportunities studying in central London brings and the whole range of speakers who visit LSE. Never quite as many as at RHUL.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I missed this point.

Cambridge, at least in theory, doesn't care about the uni you came from. Hence, if you manage to get a good First from RHUL, you'll be in an excellent position to apply (provided your academic pursuits are otherwise up to scratch - this includes writing articles, going to conferences and generally showing an interest in your course).

My question is why you'd want to take on this risk. Why put yourself in the tough position where you have to graduate in the 5-10% of your class at RHUL and then also be successful in your Master's application, when you can get a similar brand name from LSE at undergrad? You've got LSE in the bag. You don't have Cambridge.

(Of course, doing an LSE undergrad puts you in an excellent position for a Cambridge postgrad thanks to a) the profile of your academic referee, and b) all the opportunities available to its students, but I'd guess that getting in the top 5-10% of your year is harder at LSE than it is at RHUL. I may well be wrong.)

ReputationRep:
    I’m an international student who has offers from LSE and RHUL for Management. I’ve got others but I chose this two. I still can’t decide the university.

The reason to choose LSE is better réputation only for me. I prefer RHUL business course, and the campus as well. LSE Management is full of math and economics, therefore I think I won’t enjoy that.

Could you give me advices for that please ?
    If having a degree from the University of London is the critical thing for you once you graduate, then go for the course that you like, and the environment that you think you will enjoy more.

I am intrigued to know what the other choices are though, as they may be very good options for you and your particular preferences.

ReputationRep:
    I’m from South Korea, but I want to work in japan. And either japan or South Korea all University Of London are same and in our country we never put University name on the business card either.
    They are not the same. And, Japan companies know the difference. LSE has an equivalent in Japan, Hitotsubashi University. Given the Japanese high regard for top universities, you will be much better off with a degree from LSE. From what I heard, Japanese are less bothered about the class of degree but more about the prestige of the university. Many Japanese work hard to get into the top university and then slack off in university itself.

In LSE Management, you can choose to do only the compulsory units with Maths and choose other electives. There are many to choose from.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.