Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm going to be studying Japanese at Uni next year and I've narrowed it down to Newcastle and SOAS. I've been to the Newcastle Open Day but didn't get a chance to visit SOAS so I was wondering whether anyone at SOAS has any useful information about the course or being there?

Newcastle
    + The clubs and societies look more in line with what I'd like for extra curricular activities
    + Good research reputation (Russell Group, Gold TEF)
    + A lot cheaper (I'm assuming) than studying in London
    - Not sure how high quality their courses are for languages
    - Has a bit of a reputation for being a "party" city, would that mean it's a bit rougher at night?

SOAS
    + Well established high reputation for languages
    + Apparently there are a lot more international students so I might feel more comfortable (I'm Asian)
    + I know London better than I know Newcastle since I live around the area.
    - Really worried about the cost of living. Could someone please clarify whether it's as expensive as people think?
    +- Good variety of cultural clubs and societies so I might be interested later, but I'm not immediately interested in any of them now.

I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts if they go to either of these unis. Thanks!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flipurry)
    Hi,
    I'm going to be studying Japanese at Uni next year and I've narrowed it down to Newcastle and SOAS. I've been to the Newcastle Open Day but didn't get a chance to visit SOAS so I was wondering whether anyone at SOAS has any useful information about the course or being there?

Newcastle
    + The clubs and societies look more in line with what I'd like for extra curricular activities
    - Has a bit of a reputation for being a "party" city, would that mean it's a bit rougher at night?

SOAS
    + Apparently there are a lot more international students so I might feel more comfortable (I'm Asian)
    - Really worried about the cost of living. Could someone please clarify whether it's as expensive as people think?
    +- Good variety of cultural clubs and societies so I might be interested later, but I'm not immediately interested in any of them now.

Hi Flipurry,

Great to hear you’re thinking of coming to study with us If we could help by putting your mind at ease, our Modern Language course is highly regarded, ranking in the top 20 in the UK (for French, German and Spanish) in The Times/Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018 and top 10 in The Complete University Guide 2018. We are also ranked in the top 20 in the UK for Modern languages in The Guardian University Guide 2018!

In terms of nightlife, I wouldn’t be discouraged by the ‘Geordie Shore’ reputation! Our beautiful city is indeed very friendly. There’s plenty to do out and about the city from art and culture, to live music, theatre and comedy, it’s not all bars and nightclubs I assure you Our blog, On Course to NCL, is a great place to find out more about things to do in Newcastle from a student perspective: https://microsites.ncl.ac.uk/oncours...ourney-to-ncl/

Best wishes,

Susie
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Newcastle University)
    Hi Flipurry,

Great to hear you’re thinking of coming to study with us If we could help by putting your mind at ease, our Modern Language course is highly regarded, ranking in the top 20 in the UK (for French, German and Spanish) in The Times/Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018 and top 10 in The Complete University Guide 2018. We are also ranked in the top 20 in the UK for Modern languages in The Guardian University Guide 2018!
    Which of those rankings measure teaching quality for Japanese?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Which of those rankings measure teaching quality for Japanese?

Hello,

We rank 4th in the UK in The Complete University Guide 2018 (East and South Asian category) 😊 https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...sian%20Studies

Hope this helps,

Susie
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

We rank 4th in the UK in The Complete University Guide 2018 (East and South Asian category) 😊 https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...sian%20Studies

Hope this helps,

Susie
    And which part of student satisfaction and research quality measures teaching quality?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    And which part of student satisfaction and research quality measures teaching quality?
    Hi,

'Student Satisfaction' is a measurement of 'how satisfied students are with the quality of teaching they receive.', if that helps?

If you have any specific queries relating to the course/teaching I'd be happy to pass them to the School for you 😊

Best wishes,

Susie
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

'Student Satisfaction' is a measurement of 'how satisfied students are with the quality of teaching they receive.', if that helps?

If you have any specific queries relating to the course/teaching I'd be happy to pass them to the School for you 😊

Best wishes,

Susie
    If you wanted to talk about great student satisfaction then why not link to the latest stats here:https://unistats.ac.uk/subjects/sati...eturnTo/Search instead of equating league tables in other subjects or with heavy weighting on research quality with teaching quality? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    If you wanted to talk about great student satisfaction then why not link to the latest stats here:https://unistats.ac.uk/subjects/sati...eturnTo/Search instead of equating league tables in other subjects or with heavy weighting on research quality with teaching quality? :confused:
    Hey,

Ah yes, good shout! I will do in future 😊

Many thanks,

Susie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flipurry)
    Hi,

Newcastle

SOAS

Hi,
    Newcastle grad and ex-Japanese Language student here, so let's see if I can help with a few things...

The clubs and societies at Newcastle are fantastic. There's a huge range and they are really well-supported by the Students' Union. I ended up getting heavily involved in student media and made my closest friends through societies
    Yes, it is LOADS cheaper than London. My sister lives in London and she cries tears of jealousy when she hears how much my rent is compared to hers, haha.
    The language courses are high quality - actually a few years ago the Japanese course was completely restructured to increase the amount of language learning in the first two years (before your year abroad) and the course swapped from using the Genki series of textbooks to Minna no Nihongo. The Language Resource Centre has loads of supplementary materials (you might've visited it if you went to an Open Day?) and there are tandem learning schemes to link you up with native Japanese speakers who want to learn English.
    Newcastle is a very safe city - I honestly feel fine walking around at night. The city centre is well-lit and public transport runs late, or it's pretty easy to find a taxi or call an Uber. There are areas that you might want to avoid on a Friday/Saturday night if you don't like crowds of drunk people, but violence is really rare. Plus there are plenty of things to do if clubbing and drinking isn't your scene - some of my favourite places for a night out are the Stand Comedy Club and the Tyneside Cinema.
    Newcastle has loads of international students, too. Again, take a look at the range of societies to get an idea of where people are from The North East is a pretty white area, but Newcastle city centre has a ChinaTown, the area of Fenham has a large Pakistani community, there's an Orthodox Jewish community in Gateshead... It might be more diverse than you think

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.