The Student Room Group

"London more dangerous than NYC"- no it's not!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/10/20/london-now-dangerous-new-york-crime-stats-suggest/
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/869203/london-new-york-crime-met-police-scotland-yard-rape-robbery-gov-stats

When you think about the fact that the NYPD has an awful reputation at recording crimes, certainly when compared to the Met, and doesn't even bother investigating most robberies (and as a result many don't even bother reporting them), then yeah you would expect London to technically have a higher recorded rate of robbery and burglary. And when the UK has a different definition of sexual crimes to the US (with a wider deifention here than in the US) the rate will be higher of course.

The best way to access crime is by homicide rates, since this is always recorded and there are no real qualms about what is a murder and what isn't. Moreover, there is a strong correlation between murder rate and crime rate. And when you look at that, the data is clear:
NYC's murder rate is 3x that of London

Anyone who has been to NYC will recall that the city is far more seedy and full of shady characters than London. Even the subway (which might be more consistent but certainly not as clean as the Tube) is full of homeless people and gang members. NYC has a huge infrastructure problem as well, and far less opportunities for well paid unskilled work. With n environment like that, plus worse gun control, you're never going to get a city that's safer than London.
(edited 6 years ago)
New York is a slum, London is a world class global city and is far superior to NYC in literally every way. The transport is better, the infrastructure is vastly better, the healthcare and education systems are worlds apart. London is more diverse as well, bringing in talent from across Europe and the world
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Ladbants
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/10/20/london-now-dangerous-new-york-crime-stats-suggest/
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/869203/london-new-york-crime-met-police-scotland-yard-rape-robbery-gov-stats

When you think about the fact that the NYPD has an awful reputation at recording crimes, certainly when compared to the Met, and doesn't even bother investigating most robberies (and as a result many don't even bother reporting them), then yeah you would expect London to technically have a higher recorded rate of robbery and burglary. And when the UK has a different definition of sexual crimes to the US (with a wider deifention here than in the US) the rate will be higher of course.

The best way to access crime is by homicide rates, since this is always recorded and there are no real qualms about what is a murder and what isn't. Moreover, there is a strong correlation between murder rate and crime rate. And when you look at that, the data is clear:

Anyone who has been to NYC will recall that the city is far more seedy and full of shady characters than London. Even the subway (which might be more consistent but certainly not as clean as the Tube) is full of homeless people and gang members. NYC has a huge infrastructure problem as well, and far less opportunities for well paid unskilled work. With n environment like that, plus worse gun control, you're never going to get a city that's safer than London.

I've been too both NYC and I live in London and I love both city equally. I could happily live in NYC for a few years. My uncle own a flat in Manhattan and live there part time because of work.
Reply 3
New York City has pretty low crime compared to many US cities
London is a pretty grim place tbf.
My family and I have lived in Newham for generations. Some say it’s unrecognisable. Many people say this about other boroughs.

London is a mess.
Reply 6
Have you ever been to New York, the state, or New York City? I also believe London is a world class global city. However, anyone who has ever been to New York City (and indeed the state of New York) would NEVER be able to claim what you wrote, with a straight face, some of the most opulent neighborhoods and homes and architecture in the world is found in NYC, some of the best museums, performance art centers, some of the worlds wealthiest people live in NYC(let alone also in the state of New York, particularly upstate New York)...so you are way off the mark calling The NYC (or New York the state) a slum.

Original post by FarhanHalim
New York is a slum, London is a world class global city and is far superior to NYC in literally every way. The transport is better, the infrastructure is vastly better, the healthcare and education systems are worlds apart. London is more diverse as well, bringing in talent from across Europe and the world
The global super elite are actively trying to create mass riots in both. It is pretty clear that the overcrowded pressure cooker environment of these cities is deliberately made that way via a satanic-eugenicist agenda. Out of the chaos they create the order - their New World Order via an increasingly regionalised/globalised military-police force, merging of EU and NATO, swallowing up of the m/e by Greater Israel.

Its a case of when another 2011 style riot event occurs again, not if.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
Comparing crime rates between countries is a great way for tabloids to get a shocking headline, but it's not usually a very effective method of actually seeing which country has more crime, because, as you say, definitions and recording methods vary widely - it's why the likes of the Daily Mail will tell you that Sweden has the highest levels of rape in Europe, when in fact they have similar incidences to the rest of Europe, but have a higher reporting rate and a radically different (and much more accurate) system of recording.

Even when comparing murder rates, there are things to take into account, such as the criteria used to establish whether a death is treated as murder (as opposed to manslaughter, suicide or accidental).

The only way to accurately gauge which city is safer would be to perform a series of controlled studies and surveys, taking into account not just incidences of crime, but how safe the general population feel in the city.
Reply 9
Dunno about NY since I haven't been there but majority of London is not dangerous if you literally just watch yourself and stay out of trouble. Compare that to a city where you are legally allowed to buy firearms and it's clear which place I'd feel safer in.(in response to the poster above me)

I understand that certain people have it worse in London if they're a certain demographic, but I've lived here for over 2 decades now and I can count about 3 instances where I have felt unsafe at night.
Original post by Ladbants

You make a lot of claims without providing any evidence. How do you know that the NYPD investigate a lower percentage of robberies than the Met? How do you know how that impacts reporting? In what way is our definition of sexual offences broader? ’d actually argue the opposite is true. How do you know there’s a correlation between murder and other crime?
Reply 11
Personally. I would 100% rather live in Flatbush New York. Than Harlesden&Stonebridge London. people need to understand, Yes Majority of London is Safe. But London is a HUGE city. And the Ghetto/ “Hood” areas, Look like anywhere else. Guns, Projects/Estates, Crime, Poverty, High ethnic Minority, Single Parents. Just because it’s in the U.K. doesn’t mean it’s automatically different, I have lived in Both London and New York. And seriously I don’t see the difference, I read something from a police report where London stacks around 400 Knife/Gun crime offences each month. Not too mention. Practically every Project/Estate in London has a turf war with another Housing estate. And there’s sooo many of them.
(edited 5 years ago)
London is very dangerous. The media focuses on homicides, but they're not keen to present the overall number of stabbings and violent crime, which is astronomical.
New York City isn't actually that dangerous these days. It has a bad rep because of the Mafia peak in the 90s, but just last week I saw on BBC News that [url="
https://www.businessinsider.com.au/new-york-first-weekend-without-a-shooting-in-25-years-2018-10"]they've even had 2 consecutive days without a murder.

Quick Reply

Latest