The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

nolongerhearthemusic
Having read my sister's revision guides for 21st century science and seen the format of a past paper, I think the changes that have been made to GCSE science are pretty appalling.

First of all, the syllabus. A lot has been left out that the old Double Award and Separate Science GCSE courses included (remember that 21st century is worth 2 GCSEs).

Quite important (in my opinion) things that have been left out -
Chemistry - The Haber process (and the things that go along with it, such as dynamic equilibrium and learning the process, catalyst etc), production of Sulphuric acid, activation energy graphs and calculations, fractional distillation & there is a minimal amount about titration and acids/bases. There's probably more that I'm missing.
Physics - Half-life, red shift etc
Biology - Proper explanation of evolution + alleles, hardly any detail about genetic diseases... there was an actual title to one section that said "Human evolution through natural selection may not be true". What.

Plus a couple of things have been added which are basically about teaching 14-15 year olds that they should have their own opinions on this stuff. No! At 14/15 you're learning basic science. No opinions, please.

Now, the format the of papers... they look more like SATs papers.

Here's an example from January 2007

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Data/publications/past_papers_2007_january/GCSE_Twenty_First_Century_ScienceA_Question_Paper_A211_02_Jan07.pdf

Question 8b(i) does not belong on any kind of secondary school test.

How are people taking this GCSE ever going to be prepared for A level sciences?

are you sure thats a higher paper, i don't mean to offend anyone but that looks a lot easier than the ones i did which were the AQA double award modular exams.
I'm doing OCR separate sciences.
You have to tick boxes and fill in the gaps in the exams. They really are easy. You have to get more than 90% for an A* but I got A*s for my modules last year.
Our whole school's doing the twenty first century sciences but only my class are doing separate. Even the teachers are saying we are going to be in no position to do A-level sciences which is fine by me as I have no inclination to take any of them but for the people that do . . well best of luck to them. I don't think our school will be doing OCR twenty first century science much longer. At least I hope not for everyone else's sakes.
and Samantha, unfortunately I am pretty certain that that will be the higher paper. It looks very similar to a mock exam I took last year before our school got the specification papers for the separate ones, which aren't that different.
annab1684
I'm doing OCR separate sciences.
You have to tick boxes and fill in the gaps in the exams. They really are easy. You have to get more than 90% for an A* but I got A*s for my modules last year.
Our whole school's doing the twenty first century sciences but only my class are doing separate. Even the teachers are saying we are going to be in no position to do A-level sciences which is fine by me as I have no inclination to take any of them but for the people that do . . well best of luck to them. I don't think our school will be doing OCR twenty first century science much longer. At least I hope not for everyone else's sakes.
and Samantha, unfortunately I am pretty certain that that will be the higher paper. It looks very similar to a mock exam I took last year before our school got the specification papers for the separate ones, which aren't that different.

haha ok then though it still seems too easy becuase some of it is common sense :smile:
personly if i took that exam and tried to do the physics that i'm taking i wouldn't understand what the physics teacher was saying :smile:
xx-Samantha-xx
haha ok then though it still seems too easy becuase some of it is common sense :smile:

It is too easy :smile:
Definetley.
Wow, that seems so weird... I'm so glad I did the old style!
DaveJ
Is this OCR 21st Century Science not the same style of specification as AQA's Core Science? If so, on AQA, you can do Additional Science, and Further Science, which have a much higher science based content than Core Science.

The specification I'm talking about is Core Science + Additional Science.
Reply 47
nolongerhearthemusic
The specification I'm talking about is Core Science + Additional Science.

But all the stuff you listed that was missed out; quite a lot of it is covered in Additional Science. It has more maths and stuff.
Reply 48
I'm doing this one at the moment and its piss easy.
We have two 40 minute exams and then 1 hour one. Thats it!
In the 40 minutes paper you only need to know the basics of each module the rest is common sense!
Reply 49
This is quite shocking to me...
The OCR papers are easy as I've read through.
I'm doing single science which means I can choose to do either 1, 2 or all 3 science (is this strange?)
and I only chose Biology and Chemistry
its IGCSE from Cambridge and I can tell it's not as easy as it sounds ><
Anyways, the mocks are coming up so good luck to all of you! :smile:
Reply 50
BeLLe~*
This is quite shocking to me...
The OCR papers are easy as I've read through.
I'm doing single science which means I can choose to do either 1, 2 or all 3 science (is this strange?)
and I only chose Biology and Chemistry
its IGCSE from Cambridge and I can tell it's not as easy as it sounds ><
Anyways, the mocks are coming up so good luck to all of you! :smile:

Yeah, I'll be doing the IGCSE separate science for Edexcel in all 3 sciences, and I think that will be pretty tough too (there's lots to cover). I've read through that OCR paper and it was ridiculous compared to the stuff we were looking at. It reminds me of my year 9 SATs!
Reply 51
I don't think I've seen anything quite so ridiculous as 8a! And they say the questions get harder as you work through the exam booklet?:rolleyes:
Reply 52
There is a lot to cover.. The syllabus of the separated ones are in more dept I believe.
Do you know what are the differences between edexcel and cambridge IGCSE science?

I wonder why you get to do so many subjects for your IGCSEs (11) while I only have 9? >.<
I'm in set 2 English so I don't get to do English Literature >.< (not good enough lol)
Reply 53
BeLLe~*
There is a lot to cover.. The syllabus of the separated ones are in more dept I believe.
Do you know what are the differences between edexcel and cambridge IGCSE science?

I wonder why you get to do so many subjects for your IGCSEs (11) while I only have 9? >.<
I'm in set 2 English so I don't get to do English Literature >.< (not good enough lol)

Well, I did my Italian GCSE when I was 12, so that was basically additional. Generally you're allowed to sit as many GCSE subject exams as you want (you don't have to take the course at school, you can teach yourself), but most people take from 9-12 subjects. Over that is quite challenging. By default, at my school, everyone takes 9 subjects and gets 10 GCSEs (because they get 2 english grades), but the school allows you to take extra exams if you want....
Reply 54
i'm doing 21st century science. its a load of balls, and i'd rather do igcse science any day because it is more respected.
Wow that is pretty lame... I did do all that red shift stuff in physics and I found it fascinating as well as most of the people who hate physics.. The haber process is pretty standard and we are being taught it in AQA (I did aqa seperate sciences last year too)
Reply 56
i think they are cutting down marking effort so they can give every1 an A* and the government will go alone saying the country is getting smarter when everyone has 10A*s and 10 ASBO's but takes more pride in the latter...
Reply 57
when I look at this paper I just this I could teach a Monkey to get some of the questions right. However I could get a parrot to get an A*
Reply 58
ocr twenty first century seperate science papers are sooooooooo stupid!!!!! i just hate them all! i mean honestly! they don't even ask you proper science! it's just lots of gibberish that no one knows the answers to... except maybe for some smarty pants. damn them!!!!
I did 21st Century Science last year (Year 10) but the teachers hated it and we're now doing Gateway Additional Science.

I agree that 21st Century was a load of poo!

Latest