Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I want to study natural sciences at uni and have applied for
    Cambridge, Durham, St. Andrews(chemistry and maths), Exeter(got AAB offer a few weeks back) and UCL.
    I really don't like the UCL course and want to change it before its too late, where should I apply?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Southampton's NatSci gives you essentially carte blanche over their module catalogue, and they have no end of options, although if you take 3rd/4th year SOES options you normally need to fully commit to those as the timetables prevent taking modules on the main campus (1st/2nd year SOES options are all based on the Highfield campus though).

I have no idea if you are still able to change options in UCAS though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    Southampton's NatSci gives you essentially carte blanche over their module catalogue, and they have no end of options, although if you take 3rd/4th year SOES options you normally need to fully commit to those as the timetables prevent taking modules on the main campus (1st/2nd year SOES options are all based on the Highfield campus though).

I have no idea if you are still able to change options in UCAS though...
    UCAS is letting me change it, the only thing is I cant find bachelors for Southhampton, which I really wanted to do so I could try somewhere else for the last year or stay on if I really like it. I'm considering Physics and Maths at certain places like imperial but I don't do F. Maths(only AS). Im also considering physics and molecular chemistry at imperial but my PS mentions natural sciences like 3 times so im unsure
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bruh2132)
    UCAS is letting me change it, the only thing is I cant find bachelors for Southhampton, which I really wanted to do so I could try somewhere else for the last year or stay on if I really like it. I'm considering Physics and Maths at certain places like imperial but I don't do F. Maths(only AS). Im also considering physics and molecular chemistry at imperial but my PS mentions natural sciences like 3 times so im unsure
    Southampton only offers the MSci NatSci - there's no real benefit to only doing the Bachelors version as the MSci will work out cheaper than a standalone masters and normally satisfies the prerequisite for a masters in terms of PhD applications.

While technically those are "natural" sciences they may or may not prejudice your application because of it. Perhaps email them and ask if they will accept a NatSci personal statement?

Alternately, if your interests are more or less solely in Chemistry and Physics, why not apply to that course alongside Cambridge NatSci (which does not prejudice applications with PS's for single/joint honours science courses - the SAQ is there for that reason) and e.g. Chemical Physics courses (such as at UCL, Sheffield etc)? I believe Durham will also accept joint honours style PSs due to the structure of their NatSci course (as they have specific pathways for such combinations).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    Southampton only offers the MSci NatSci - there's no real benefit to only doing the Bachelors version as the MSci will work out cheaper than a standalone masters and normally satisfies the prerequisite for a masters in terms of PhD applications.

While technically those are "natural" sciences they may or may not prejudice your application because of it. Perhaps email them and ask if they will accept a NatSci personal statement?

Alternately, if your interests are more or less solely in Chemistry and Physics, why not apply to that course alongside Cambridge NatSci (which does not prejudice applications with PS's for single/joint honours science courses - the SAQ is there for that reason) and e.g. Chemical Physics courses (such as at UCL, Sheffield etc)? I believe Durham will also accept joint honours style PSs due to the structure of their NatSci course (as they have specific pathways for such combinations).
    Thanks alot! I think ill email Imperial and other unis and see what they say.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.