Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My journey through sixth form Watch

ReputationRep:

HI

This is my first GYG blog... so welcome

Hopefully this won't become full of incoherent ramblings as the year goes on..but we'll see

Subjects that I’m taking for A Level:

Maths

Further Maths(cue eye roll from friends :rolleyes:)

Physics

Chemistry

About myself and this blog:
    I haven't really decided which course I'm aiming towards in regards to university, although I seem to be leaning towards something to do with engineering and technology(which seems to be suitable if you look at which A Levels I’m taking). Hopefully, this blog will be a way for me to process my thoughts and encourage me to study. I will most likely split each blog post into, half about what I’ve done revision and learning wise each week, and the other half about my like in that week.

My GCSE Grades:
    Spoiler:
    Show

• Edexcel Mathematics - 9
    • AQA English Language - 7
    • AQA English Speaking & Listening - Distinction
    • AQA English Literature - 6
    • AQA Biology - A*
    • AQA Chemistry - A*
    • AQA Physics - A*
    • AQA Spanish - B
    • AQA Computer Science - A
    • AQA Further Mathematics - A*
    • OCR History - B
    • OCR RE - A

I was actually really happy about these, especially my English grades

Some facts about me:
    Spoiler:
    Show

I love singing

I had two silver tabby’s for most of my life

I choose my username because I was so stressed throughout GCSE’s and convinced my self I wasn’t when I needed to.

I’m not sure how great I am a studying or studying techniques, but hopefully this blog will help me
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Best of luck! I love reading these threads and seeing how far people come!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Changing Skies)
    Best of luck! I love reading these threads and seeing how far people come!
    Thank you , hopefully by the end of the year I will have improved myself(even if just by a tiny bit)

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, I’ve just gotten my half-term report sent to me!! :gasp:

I got an A in Maths An A in Further Maths A C in Physics A C in Chemistry

I don’t even know how they’ve calculated the further maths grade, because I haven’t even had an assessment for it, but I'm not going to complain!

Similarly in physics we have only had one test in which I got a B, so I don’t really know what they're basing this prediction on.

But thankfully it seems I’ve been predicted three A’s and a B

This week:

Maths: This week I’ve been learning about polynomials and it seemed to be the first new thing that we would be learning, but it was just the same a GCSE content but with a different name which was a bit disappointing considering some of my friends who are taking the same subjects as me have already started new content.

Further Maths: In the past week we went through proof by induction with one of our teachers and we learnt about how to divide using matrices. I felt a bit left out this week as they invited about half of my class(there are 12 of us, and its the only further maths class for my year) to have a go at past UKMT team questions so that they could choose people to take part, but it made myself and other people in my class confused as to why we weren't even asked to have a go, but I've just accepted that they didn't think I was the right person to take part.

Physics:This week we learnt about SUVAT equations, however it turned out that half of us already knew about these because it was part of the exam spec for AQA, however now that I moved to a new school for sixth form, they do Edexcel science exams. iIs a bit hard to get used to the change in exam style, but I'm not too bothered by it. We also did one of our core practicals today, and I was pleasantly surprised in how straight the graph of my results and so were the rest of my group(BTW being extra pays off).

Chemistry: We finished the week with a small topic test on Redox equations(which I’m just beginning to understand yayyy) and during the week we completed two core practicals which we had a lot of fun with, despite quite a few things going wrong.

Revision

• I’ve started typing out flashcards for physics, which I will then print out when I’m done(I’ll post a picture when I’m done and maybe link the document when its done if anyone wants?)
    • Ive started going through practice questions for maths on the website maths genie, which i was introduced to last year.

PERSONAL

This week I applied to do the Gold Crest award with my school, my friend read my application and said it looked really good, but I don’t know how many people applied and how much of a chance I will have a taking part(since they are only choosing a few people). I’ve also decide to do Gold DofE, which I have decide to start getting stronger for.

On a side note does anyone else watch Brooklyn Nine Nine, and if so, have you seen the most recent episode
    Spoiler:
    Show

asdfghjklufdtf they got engaged!!!!!!!!

This week I’m really loving the song 1-800-273-8255 by Logic, it just feels nice to listen to.

Anyways
    Have a good week

IAmNotStressed(and will not be anytime soon)

ReputationRep:
    Wow, you're doing great! I've just recently started year 11. All of my teachers suddenly care about our education more. It's kinda scary to think soon it won't even be necessary to go into school...
    (Original post by IAmNotStressed)
    Hey everyone, I’ve just gotten my half-term report sent to me!! :gasp:

I got an A in Maths An A in Further Maths A C in Physics A C in Chemistry

I don’t even know how they’ve calculated the further maths grade, because I haven’t even had an assessment for it, but I'm not going to complain!

Similarly in physics we have only had one test in which I got a B, so I don’t really know what they're basing this prediction on.

But thankfully it seems I’ve been predicted three A’s and a B

This week:

Maths: This week I’ve been learning about polynomials and it seemed to be the first new thing that we would be learning, but it was just the same a GCSE content but with a different name which was a bit disappointing considering some of my friends who are taking the same subjects as me have already started new content.

Further Maths: In the past week we went through proof by induction with one of our teachers and we learnt about how to divide using matrices. I felt a bit left out this week as they invited about half of my class(there are 12 of us, and its the only further maths class for my year) to have a go at past UKMT team questions so that they could choose people to take part, but it made myself and other people in my class confused as to why we weren't even asked to have a go, but I've just accepted that they didn't think I was the right person to take part.

Physics:This week we learnt about SUVAT equations, however it turned out that half of us already knew about these because it was part of the exam spec for AQA, however now that I moved to a new school for sixth form, they do Edexcel science exams. iIs a bit hard to get used to the change in exam style, but I'm not too bothered by it. We also did one of our core practicals today, and I was pleasantly surprised in how straight the graph of my results and so were the rest of my group(BTW being extra pays off).

Chemistry: We finished the week with a small topic test on Redox equations(which I’m just beginning to understand yayyy) and during the week we completed two core practicals which we had a lot of fun with, despite quite a few things going wrong.

Revision

• I’ve started typing out flashcards for physics, which I will then print out when I’m done(I’ll post a picture when I’m done and maybe link the document when its done if anyone wants?)
    • Ive started going through practice questions for maths on the website maths genie, which i was introduced to last year.

PERSONAL

This week I applied to do the Gold Crest award with my school, my friend read my application and said it looked really good, but I don’t know how many people applied and how much of a chance I will have a taking part(since they are only choosing a few people). I’ve also decide to do Gold DofE, which I have decide to start getting stronger for.

On a side note does anyone else watch Brooklyn Nine Nine, and if so, have you seen the most recent episode
    Spoiler:
    Show

asdfghjklufdtf they got engaged!!!!!!!!

This week I’m really loving the song 1-800-273-8255 by Logic, it just feels nice to listen to.

Anyways
    Have a good week

IAmNotStressed(and will not be anytime soon)

ReputationRep:
    Good luckk

What modules are you doing for further maths this year? I know one of them are compulsory but what about for paper 2?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luckystars500)
    Wow, you're doing great! I've just recently started year 11. All of my teachers suddenly care about our education more. It's kinda scary to think soon it won't even be necessary to go into school...
    Don't worry, it's still compulsory until you are 18, it seemed weird to me in year 10 when one of my teachers seemed to start going over the top with our workload, but then when I got to year 11 al of the teachers started doing it!
    Good luck with the new scheme of exams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AOA_)
    Good luckk

What modules are you doing for further maths this year? I know one of them are compulsory but what about for paper 2?
    Thank youu, my further maths teachers are the only ones which haven't really talked about the course as a whole, so I'm not quite sure at the moment, I'll probably email them after this half-term.

ReputationRep:

HI

This is my first GYG blog... so welcome

Hopefully this won't become full of incoherent ramblings as the year goes on..but we'll see

Subjects that I’m taking for A Level:

Maths

Further Maths(cue eye roll from friends :rolleyes:)

Physics

Chemistry

About myself and this blog:
    I haven't really decided which course I'm aiming towards in regards to university, although I seem to be leaning towards something to do with engineering and technology(which seems to be suitable if you look at which A Levels I’m taking). Hopefully, this blog will be a way for me to process my thoughts and encourage me to study. I will most likely split each blog post into, half about what I’ve done revision and learning wise each week, and the other half about my like in that week.

My GCSE Grades:
    Spoiler:
    Show

• Edexcel Mathematics - 9
    • AQA English Language - 7
    • AQA English Speaking & Listening - Distinction
    • AQA English Literature - 6
    • AQA Biology - A*
    • AQA Chemistry - A*
    • AQA Physics - A*
    • AQA Spanish - B
    • AQA Computer Science - A
    • AQA Further Mathematics - A*
    • OCR History - B
    • OCR RE - A

I was actually really happy about these, especially my English grades

Some facts about me:
    Spoiler:
    Show

I love singing

I had two silver tabby’s for most of my life

I choose my username because I was so stressed throughout GCSE’s and convinced my self I wasn’t when I needed to.

I’m not sure how great I am a studying or studying techniques, but hopefully this blog will help me

Your grades are really stunning! Best of luck to you !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asaleem)
    Your grades are really stunning! Best of luck to you !
    And to you too!
    (Thank you!)

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, it's still compulsory until you are 18, it seemed weird to me in year 10 when one of my teachers seemed to start going over the top with our workload, but then when I got to year 11 al of the teachers started doing it!
    Good luck with the new scheme of exams
    Thank you! I don't mind the new mark scheme it's just annoying that we don't have many past papers that are actually relevant, though the old tests still are useful.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.