Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is gender performative? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missfrivolous)
    I totally agree with you. I hoped for an intellectual discussion, instead I was met with complete dismissal and a load of ignorant remarks. Looks as though TSR isn’t a very inclusive place after all.

I believe it’s not just gender/sexuality education that is in desperate need of reform in British secondary schools. Education in critical thinking and analysis is also in need of revision - society needs right-brained individuals who can think outside the box (and beyond the binaries one finds in a typical mathematics textbook). Attention, policy-makers.
    If you want an intellectual discussion, maybe think about writing more than a title and "discuss". Put forward your opinions, some material backing them up, some thoughts on potential points of weakness in your case etc.

All very well and good being "right-brained" but maybe learn some social skills and debating skills to go along with it?

ReputationRep:
    ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rinsed)
    Several points:
    • School is not a place for these political ideas to be taught, and yes they are political.
    • Am I right in thinking "right-brained" means "agrees with me"?
    • The idea gender-studies types encourage open-minded or critical thinking is ridiculous. They encourage conformance to one extreme opinion, and treat dissent with fury.
    I sense liberal-phobia.

ReputationRep:
    Well of course

ReputationRep:
    I sense liberal-phobia.
    Ooh, very sneery.

Anyway, I am a liberal, because I believe in freedom.

You, by contrast, believe in indoctrinating children with your neo-Marxism in schools...

ReputationRep:
    Why oh why can’t you downvote posts on The Student Room?

Why oh why can’t you downvote posts on The Student Room?
      Because TSR realised it would lose out on all the angry racist basement-dwellers who don't like people disagreeing with them.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by FriendlyPenguin)
      Because TSR realised it would lose out on all the angry racist basement-dwellers who don't like people disagreeing with them.
      You’re very right, these angry racist (and sexist and homophobic) basement-dwellers seem to form the majority of the tsr population

ReputationRep:
      Gender being masculine or feminine? Well yeah you can act masculine and you can act feminine...

ReputationRep:
      Ultimately no. You are a product of your environment and a lot of factors come into play (confidence, upbringing, social status which also differ depending on your gender) when regarding performance.

Gender or sex, has nothing to do with it unless discussing physique.
      Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.