Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is a convincing fake laugh neccessary to perform at a high level socially? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Or does it only matter that you try to feign a laugh, that you fill in the awkward silence after someone says something with something, even if it sounds nothing like your real laugh?

ReputationRep:
    I think it is entirely subjective, everybody has a different laugh and so there is no set standard for what a laugh should be. I think trying to feign a laugh would come across quite blatantly and would be more obvious than a small sincere one. It also depends on if the person knows you or has heard you laugh before, if so then they will be more suited to tell if you are not being genuine with your laughter.

If somebody tells a joke or makes a statement that gets laughs from other people I just bluntly stand there like "I don't understand", yet I am very adept at public speaking and holding a conversation with people, I don't think my lack of laughter diminishes my ability in any way. But, I can see why it may. If a person was to tell a joke and you t didn't laugh they may feel uncomfortable and refrain from saying more, or they may feel like they don't wish to talk to you anymore

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    are u MAD fam

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 21, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.