Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've applied to multiple jobs without any luck, and I hope this is the one as I that I'll enjoy the calm environment. It's a role for a Sales Assistant for the Christmas period.

The job description:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Do you thrive in a fast paced environment where no two days are the same, then look no further. We are looking for exceptional individuals used to working in a customer focused environment and highlighting promotions to join our store. Working in a team you will play an active role in providing a positive customer experience and driving sales.

The Accountabilities
    • To always deliver a friendly service, smiling, greeting and making eye contact with every customer you come into contact with
    • Working on tills accurately and efficiently, to provide a positive customer experience.
    • Carry out stock replenishment, ensuring all areas of the store remain tidy
    • Working as an active member of the team, supporting colleagues in all tasks
    • Meeting high standards of display and visual merchandising to ensure the store is well presented. Accurately following planograms
    • Demonstrate good product knowledge to customers on key promotions and offers. Approaching customers that may require assistance if you are on the shop floor
    • Targeted on having appropriate Till Point Conversations with every customer to add on sales and increase the average transaction value.
    • Some roles will involve pushing loaded trolleys of stock for long distances

The Requirements
    • Experience gained within a retail environment preferred
    • Confident approach towards maximising sales opportunities
    • Flexibility towards working hours
    • Strong communication skills and ability to participate as a key team member

My CV:
    https://imgur.com/a/l8wBk

I've changed some things like the name of the business to 'Family Business', this is just for the sake of the screenshot.

It was a furniture store and I just helped around sometimes, I'd say these points are extremely exaggerated, I only spoke to like 2 customers during my time there. I did a lot of tidying up though and did stuff like breaking down the boxes in the back.

I'm unsure about whether I should keep the A-Level bit, I'm in Year 12 and I just used my target grades given by my teachers.

I think the skills bit definitely needs to be improved and worded better but I'm not sure how. Same with the experience section.

Thank you for any advice, I am really struggling to get a job and I desperately need one.

ReputationRep:
    l would firstly change the title 'experience' to 'work experience' and then put that right after education, skills should come after your relevant work experience. Also in your work experience, don't just talk about what you did in a bullet list, explain what you learnt in that role and how it helped you develop your skills.

Don't say you are keen to learn new skills in your skills, instead say something like "I am a highly motivated and driven person", your CV is a little informal also "good written and verbal communication skills", it should be more formal and should address the person reading it. Try to start sentences with 'I' and expand on points when you can.
    do you have any volunteer experience? if not what are your hobbies and how could they relate to work? So if you like sports then you can talk about that and how it links with you being an active person. The fact that you have used so many bullet points is a big no no, it just seems like you haven't thought about what you are writing and when an employer reads that they are going to pick up on it. Your work experience description should be a mini-paragraph, not a bulleted list e.g.

Family business | 2016
    In this role I acted as a store assistant, this involved me stacking shelves, rearranging displays, ensuring that the area was safe for customers. It also included interacting with people on a day to day basis, handling money and ensuring that good customer service was provided. In this role, my skills of conflict resolution, communication and retail awareness were both tested and improved to a great degree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fonzworth)
    I've applied to multiple jobs without any luck, and I hope this is the one as I that I'll enjoy the calm environment. It's a role for a Sales Assistant for the Christmas period.

The job description:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Do you thrive in a fast paced environment where no two days are the same, then look no further. We are looking for exceptional individuals used to working in a customer focused environment and highlighting promotions to join our store. Working in a team you will play an active role in providing a positive customer experience and driving sales.

The Accountabilities
    • To always deliver a friendly service, smiling, greeting and making eye contact with every customer you come into contact with
    • Working on tills accurately and efficiently, to provide a positive customer experience.
    • Carry out stock replenishment, ensuring all areas of the store remain tidy
    • Working as an active member of the team, supporting colleagues in all tasks
    • Meeting high standards of display and visual merchandising to ensure the store is well presented. Accurately following planograms
    • Demonstrate good product knowledge to customers on key promotions and offers. Approaching customers that may require assistance if you are on the shop floor
    • Targeted on having appropriate Till Point Conversations with every customer to add on sales and increase the average transaction value.
    • Some roles will involve pushing loaded trolleys of stock for long distances
    The Requirements
    • Experience gained within a retail environment preferred
    • Confident approach towards maximising sales opportunities
    • Flexibility towards working hours
    • Strong communication skills and ability to participate as a key team member
    My CV:
    https://imgur.com/a/l8wBk

I've changed some things like the name of the business to 'Family Business', this is just for the sake of the screenshot.

It was a furniture store and I just helped around sometimes, I'd say these points are extremely exaggerated, I only spoke to like 2 customers during my time there. I did a lot of tidying up though and did stuff like breaking down the boxes in the back.

I'm unsure about whether I should keep the A-Level bit, I'm in Year 12 and I just used my target grades given by my teachers.

I think the skills bit definitely needs to be improved and worded better but I'm not sure how. Same with the experience section.

Thank you for any advice, I am really struggling to get a job and I desperately need one.
    I don't really like the 77AAAAA6BB line, why not just say 7 A's, 2 B's
    keen to learn/prefect responsibilities aren't skills or abilities-try write this somewhere else
    you can get rid of the references part also, its common that they are available on request.-if u space ur predicted grades a bit closer together u now have more space to write on- the guy above helped u with that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Avaia)
    l would firstly change the title 'experience' to 'work experience' and then put that right after education, skills should come after your relevant work experience. Also in your work experience, don't just talk about what you did in a bullet list, explain what you learnt in that role and how it helped you develop your skills.

Don't say you are keen to learn new skills in your skills, instead say something like "I am a highly motivated and driven person", your CV is a little informal also "good written and verbal communication skills", it should be more formal and should address the person reading it. Try to start sentences with 'I' and expand on points when you can.
    do you have any volunteer experience? if not what are your hobbies and how could they relate to work? So if you like sports then you can talk about that and how it links with you being an active person. The fact that you have used so many bullet points is a big no no, it just seems like you haven't thought about what you are writing and when an employer reads that they are going to pick up on it. Your work experience description should be a mini-paragraph, not a bulleted list e.g.

Family business | 2016
    In this role I acted as a store assistant, this involved me stacking shelves, rearranging displays, ensuring that the area was safe for customers. It also included interacting with people on a day to day basis, handling money and ensuring that good customer service was provided. In this role, my skills of conflict resolution, communication and retail awareness were both tested and improved to a great degree
    Excellent advice. Would 'I have great written and verbal communication skills from coursework and teamwork activities.' be a good replacement and 'I have undertaken prefect responsibilities and voluntary roles during school and college'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fonzworth)
    Excellent advice. Would 'I have great written and verbal communication skills from coursework and teamwork activities.' be a good replacement?
    i would say "'I have great written and verbal communication skills that I have developed greatly through coursework and team activities at college"
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Avaia)
    l......................
    Can I ask what your experience is as an employer? Most of your advice is completely incorrect. For example, you should never say 'I' in a CV, the Experience section should be title Experience, and not work experience, a CV should be entirely written in bullet points with no mini-paragraphs etc.

I think you are confusing a CV with a personal statement for a university application - they are quite different documents.

ReputationRep:
    Say you are willing to learn and write more about your hobbies and how they improve your skills.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.