Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Are there any universities that don't require an a level in the language you want to study at degree level in England? All of the ones I've looked at so far require an a level in the target language.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dumbhermione)
    Are there any universities that don't require an a level in the language you want to study at degree level in England? All of the ones I've looked at so far require an a level in the target language.
    What are you studying atm, and what language do you wish to study?

ReputationRep:
    Depends which languages. If you want to pick up non-European languages from scratch, they usually don't ask for an A Level in a language as a requirement. It would be harder to find European languages from scratch which don't need an A Level but I'm sure there are some unis out there

ReputationRep:
    If you t have didn't have a qualification in the language, then you would need to demonstrate and understanding of the language

ReputationRep:
    My a levels are English lit, psychology, economics, and maths and I'm hoping to study French (and maybe another language) at uni.
    (Original post by Paralove)
    What are you studying atm, and what language do you wish to study?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Avaia)
    If you t have didn't have a qualification in the language, then you would need to demonstrate and understanding of the language
    What do you mean? As in an exam to test my level of understanding in the language?

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean? As in an exam to test my level of understanding in the language?
    Well, if you were born in/parents come from the country the language is from then that would demonstrate it. You could also do another form of qualification that in not an A-Level. If you lived abroad for a year or so then that may help.

ReputationRep:
    I've found French is quite hard to start ab initio, as French is taught in pretty much all british schools so they tend to assume you've had the oppurtunity to study it up to A level, and most ab initio courses for any language require an A level in another language to show you are capable of learning another language. There probably are some courses out there that would let you, but you might have to look quite hard. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, unless you've done a language at A-Level or equivalent, you're not going to find a course where you can study a language from scratch. Language A-Levels are hard, and unis ask that you do one - even if it's not the language you plan on studying - because it shows ability in learning languages. Why haven't you chosen to do a language at A-Level? Did you do any at GCSE, and if not why not? These are questions you need to ask yourself.

The only option really, is to stay an extra year at school and try to get the required grade in a language A-Level by then (seeing as you're already doing four, and unless you have a GCSE you won't be able to take an A-Level), or to take a language as part of a joint-honours course or as a minor in your degree - i.e. alongside another, non-language subject.

My a levels are English lit, psychology, economics, and maths and I'm hoping to study French (and maybe another language) at uni.

ReputationRep:
    Plenty of universities offer languages ab initio (from scratch) - however they don't usually offer French from scratch as most schools offer it so they expect you to take that opportunity. You can definitely find Spanish, German, Italian, Russian, Arabic, Japanese etc ab initio very easily.

ReputationRep:
    Actually you can do French from scratch at Reading: http://www.reading.ac.uk/ready-to-st...ba-french.aspx

ReputationRep:
    I'm 99% sure that the University of East Anglia allows you to start French from scratch. There's probably a few more too but it's true that the majority only allow it to be studied if you have the A-level.

I'll have a look around for you OP and see if I can find anywhere else.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.