Turn on thread page Beta

Liberals have declared war on reason watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AllonsEnfants!)
    "I never denied that at all."

You denied that white people experience discrimination because of the colour of our skin in #89

"But in society as a whole, black people are denied access to jobs, opportunities and services on a daily basis."

I am sorry but I do not accept that argument due to the Equality Act 2010 and so-called ‘positive action’.
    Where in my quote that you quoted did I say white people don't get discriminated against?

I think you need to open your eyes and start talking to a variety of people. Just because something is illegal doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Slavery was outlawed 150 years ago but is still very prevalent in parts of society.

As a white man I have never been discriminated against. Have you? By contrast each and every one of my non-white students under the age of 16 has experienced some from of direct racism or discrimination.

Please do not tell me you believe white people somehow have a raw deal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    Where in my quote that you quoted did I say white people don't get discriminated against?

I think you need to open your eyes and start talking to a variety of people. Just because something is illegal doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Slavery was outlawed 150 years ago but is still very prevalent in parts of society.

As a white man I have never been discriminated against. Have you? By contrast each and every one of my non-white students under the age of 16 has experienced some from of direct racism or discrimination.

Please do not tell me you believe white people somehow have a raw deal.
    "As a white man I have never been discriminated against."

See my post above regarding Equality Act 2010:

"Example An accountancy firm is recruiting for its graduate training scheme.After the first round of assessment the firm decides to shortlist 20 candidates.There is a tie-breaker situation for the 20th place on the shortlist as there are a number of candidates of equal merit.The firm decides to use the positive action provisions to advance a candidate from a BME background to the next round of recruitment, because people from BME backgrounds are under-represented in the firm.This would mean that the non-BME candidates could not claim unlawful race discrimination for not being put on the shortlist. "

https://www.york.ac.uk/admin/eo/Posi...0Guide%201.pdf

The term 'equal merit' does not mean equal; it means both candidates have the basic minimum to do the job. One could be more qualified than the other, but in terms of the particular job on offer they are both equally qualified.

I've already directed you to the post in question.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.