do i have enough gcse options to get into a grammar school for sixth form?

Watch
swag1famalam
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
so i got kicked out of 2 schools now i have to go to this youth center type of school and the gcses they offered are maths (foundation paper) english, work skills, functional skills, leisure and tourism and statistics and pe. we asked specifically if i could be able to sit science and geography tests and they said we can but they cant teach us those subjects because they dont have the suitable teachers for that subject so i will have to revise at home. first of all i missed 6 months of yr 10 after i got kicked out the first time and then i got kicked out (wrongfully) in the first week of my second school. how likely am i to pass? and are these qualifications enough to get into a grammar school for a levels?
username2337813
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
With all due respect, no.
Grammar schools look for the traditional academic subjects (and yes, I would know; I've been to a grammar school for the last 7 years, as has every member of my family). However, you could get one of your teachers or whatever to write in and explain your circumstances.
historicalgia
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
All I know is that for my grammar school, we had at have a 4 or above in English and Maths; and have 6 GCSEs at C or above, with a B or above in all the subjects you will take for A Level (or a B or above in a relevant subject, for instance my school offers Politics A Level, but does not do Politics GCSE, so you had to get a B or above in English or History GCSE). But, that was the requirements for my school’s sixth form and every sixth form - whether grammar or not - is different.
swag1famalam
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by hxfsxh)
With all due respect, no.
Grammar schools look for the traditional academic subjects (and yes, I would know; I've been to a grammar school for the last 7 years, as has every member of my family). However, you could get one of your teachers or whatever to write in and explain your circumstances.
i thought getting a gcse in maths english and all 3 sciences would be enough along with the subjects i wanted to do for a level which is pe
username2337813
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by swag1famalam)
i thought getting a gcse in maths english and all 3 sciences would be enough along with the subjects i wanted to do for a level which is pe
Idk, possibly. I live in a borough with 8 grammar schools and they all ask for anything higher than a A/B in maths, english and english lit, anything higher than a B/C in sciences and a language and then A/A* in the subjects you're doing for A-Level.
Rover5
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
At our school you need the equivalent of 7 grade As (7s) and one 6. (school yr7-13)

At the local sixth form college (yr12-13) (grammar equivalent) you need a B average over 8 subjects but you need an A* or an 8 to do Maths or Science A levels.

What a levels do you want to do?
silverflowers
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by swag1famalam)
so i got kicked out of 2 schools now i have to go to this youth center type of school and the gcses they offered are maths (foundation paper) english, work skills, functional skills, leisure and tourism and statistics and pe. we asked specifically if i could be able to sit science and geography tests and they said we can but they cant teach us those subjects because they dont have the suitable teachers for that subject so i will have to revise at home. first of all i missed 6 months of yr 10 after i got kicked out the first time and then i got kicked out (wrongfully) in the first week of my second school. how likely am i to pass? and are these qualifications enough to get into a grammar school for a levels?
You can try, I know my mum went to the worst school in the area (it's currently getting shut down it's that bad), and came out with about 6/7 gcse's, mostly c's, some d's and e's. She got into the boys local grammar school (most have unisex sixth forms) for a level and did really well there, 2 a's, one b, and one e (which was because of the course she did for gcse wasn't enough to carry it on for a level at a really high-achieving school
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Not going to sugarcoat this, I doubt most of those qualifications are GCSEs. To have a good shot at a grammar school you will likely need to self-teach some GCSEs. Even 6-7 total would be okay with extenuating circumstances, but it's not going to happen with less than 5.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (119)
4.95%
Uncertainty around my education (357)
14.86%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (263)
10.95%
Lack of purpose or motivation (338)
14.07%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (109)
4.54%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (141)
5.87%
Loneliness (208)
8.66%
Financial worries (89)
3.71%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (101)
4.2%
Exposure to negative news/social media (116)
4.83%
Lack of real life entertainment (128)
5.33%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (208)
8.66%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (225)
9.37%

Watched Threads