Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    Here's a forum for those applying to study at the University of Stirling. Leave a bit about yourself and what you'll be applying for, or follow this structure if you wish

Course you're applying for:
    Why that course?
    Why the University of Stirling?
    Status of application:

Good luck all

ReputationRep:
    Thought I'd drop myself into this thread too, if that's OK. I studied my undergraduate from 2013-2017 at Stirling University, and I am now in my fifth year here as I have returned for a postgraduate Masters'. Thought it would do no harm to have someone who's been here for 5 years, in case anyone had any questions or whatever.

Good luck to everyone applying to Stirling University for 2018! It's a genuinely great university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolver72)
    Thought I'd drop myself into this thread too, if that's OK. I studied my undergraduate from 2013-2017 at Stirling University, and I am now in my fifth year here as I have returned for a postgraduate Masters'. Thought it would do no harm to have someone who's been here for 5 years, in case anyone had any questions or whatever.

Good luck to everyone applying to Stirling University for 2018! It's a genuinely great university.
    What’s the social life like at the university?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SocialStudiesETC)
    What’s the social life like at the university?
    Really pretty good.

Stirling has two sets of Fresher's events. The Freshers week, which runs at the start of the academic term in September. And another at the start of the academic term in January/February, which is called 'Re-freshers'. The students union has a pub/eatery which hosts events and pre-event drinks and stuff during the freshers period, and is open 'til late. They have an underground room called 'venue' which is a chill zone by day, and a night-club by night during the Fresher's periods.

Clubs and societies often hold their own socials monthly, so if you get involved in that that's a good way to meet people and experience some of the night life, from things like bowling and drinks, to nightclubs and nights out etc.

Stirling University's name is quite misleading, 'cause it's not *actually* in Stirling. It's next to it, in Bridge of Allan. (which is a lovely place, by the way!). If you catch the Uni Link bus, or a 30 minute walk into Stirling, you can get Stirling Town Centre. There's plenty of pre-drink type pubs. Cape, Corn-exchange and Spoons are the three mains ones, but there's plenty of them. There's two clubs. Fubar and Dusk. Both are pretty decent, but Fubar is the bigger of the two. There's two student nights, during the week too. 'Skint Tuesdays' and 'Fubar Thursdays'.

Aside from nightlife, there's tons of Social Clubs at Stirling. Everything from Sports Clubs to Socities. Each of these is a brilliant way of meeting people and doing new things, and I would thoroughly recommend you get involved with them when you come. Clubs and Societies have a Freshers week event where you can go ask them anything, and find out more. Then they all have 'give it a go' sessions, where you can get a flavour what it's actually like.

There's plenty of restaurants and leisure activities in Stirling, like bowling, pool, swimming, gyms etc.

Can't stress enough how important Fresher's is for making friends and your university social life. I met friends on my very first night of Freshers who were friends throughout my undergraduate degree.

Stirling's a pretty friendly university, and I've found that pretty much everyone is willing to chat to anyone! So social life is pretty decent, I'd say, at Stirling.

ReputationRep:
    Really pretty good.

Stirling has two sets of Fresher's events. The Freshers week, which runs at the start of the academic term in September. And another at the start of the academic term in January/February, which is called 'Re-freshers'. The students union has a pub/eatery which hosts events and pre-event drinks and stuff during the freshers period, and is open 'til late. They have an underground room called 'venue' which is a chill zone by day, and a night-club by night during the Fresher's periods.

Clubs and societies often hold their own socials monthly, so if you get involved in that that's a good way to meet people and experience some of the night life, from things like bowling and drinks, to nightclubs and nights out etc.

Stirling University's name is quite misleading, 'cause it's not *actually* in Stirling. It's next to it, in Bridge of Allan. (which is a lovely place, by the way!). If you catch the Uni Link bus, or a 30 minute walk into Stirling, you can get Stirling Town Centre. There's plenty of pre-drink type pubs. Cape, Corn-exchange and Spoons are the three mains ones, but there's plenty of them. There's two clubs. Fubar and Dusk. Both are pretty decent, but Fubar is the bigger of the two. There's two student nights, during the week too. 'Skint Tuesdays' and 'Fubar Thursdays'.

Aside from nightlife, there's tons of Social Clubs at Stirling. Everything from Sports Clubs to Socities. Each of these is a brilliant way of meeting people and doing new things, and I would thoroughly recommend you get involved with them when you come. Clubs and Societies have a Freshers week event where you can go ask them anything, and find out more. Then they all have 'give it a go' sessions, where you can get a flavour what it's actually like.

There's plenty of restaurants and leisure activities in Stirling, like bowling, pool, swimming, gyms etc.

Can't stress enough how important Fresher's is for making friends and your university social life. I met friends on my very first night of Freshers who were friends throughout my undergraduate degree.

Stirling's a pretty friendly university, and I've found that pretty much everyone is willing to chat to anyone! So social life is pretty decent, I'd say, at Stirling.
    Yeah i felt as though the university had a lovely vibe around the campus, almost as though it was a town! Is there a supervision system in place or how does the educating side of things work?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i felt as though the university had a lovely vibe around the campus, almost as though it was a town! Is there a supervision system in place or how does the educating side of things work?
    I'd say that the campus is arguably one of the most pretty in Scotland. I mean, the buildings obviously aren't as pretty as the likes of the Glasgow, but the actual campus area is amazing. It's particularly stunning on a winter's day, or a nice summer's day. There's a pretty nice hill, Dumyat, right next to the campus that it's almost like an agreed thing that everyone has to climb it at least once in their time at uni!

I take it you're looking at coming to Stirling for 2018? Would you be travelling from far, or are you local-ish?

Yea, so there's plenty of supervision in place. When you come, you'll be allocated a personal tutor. You'll have to meet them for about 10 minutes or so, roughly a couple weeks into every semester. They're your port of call for any issues you have with university. Whether it's money, coursework, stress, timetabling or whatever. They'll also be from the department of the degree you're studying, so they will actually be able to help you. You can go to them at any point throughout the term. Also, during dissertation time (although that's a long way away), you'll have your standard personal supervisor, and a second supervisor. Both of these people are there to support you, guide you, and you can ask them anything.

I've found the classes and the way the uni works to be perfect for me, but I guess ultimately that's entirely subjective. I genuinely have no qualms with any of the way the classes, teaching or whatever has run.

You'll find some modules are different. Some of them will have exams, some will be entirely coursework. A lot of the natural and social science subjects will have labs that you need to do, they'll usually make about around 10-15% of the overall module grade. Doesn't sound much, but makes a huge difference. So my only advice would be to keep on top of lab work, if your module has one.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say that the campus is arguably one of the most pretty in Scotland. I mean, the buildings obviously aren't as pretty as the likes of the Glasgow, but the actual campus area is amazing. It's particularly stunning on a winter's day, or a nice summer's day. There's a pretty nice hill, Dumyat, right next to the campus that it's almost like an agreed thing that everyone has to climb it at least once in their time at uni!

I take it you're looking at coming to Stirling for 2018? Would you be travelling from far, or are you local-ish?

Yea, so there's plenty of supervision in place. When you come, you'll be allocated a personal tutor. You'll have to meet them for about 10 minutes or so, roughly a couple weeks into every semester. They're your port of call for any issues you have with university. Whether it's money, coursework, stress, timetabling or whatever. They'll also be from the department of the degree you're studying, so they will actually be able to help you. You can go to them at any point throughout the term. Also, during dissertation time (although that's a long way away), you'll have your standard personal supervisor, and a second supervisor. Both of these people are there to support you, guide you, and you can ask them anything.

I've found the classes and the way the uni works to be perfect for me, but I guess ultimately that's entirely subjective. I genuinely have no qualms with any of the way the classes, teaching or whatever has run.

You'll find some modules are different. Some of them will have exams, some will be entirely coursework. A lot of the natural and social science subjects will have labs that you need to do, they'll usually make about around 10-15% of the overall module grade. Doesn't sound much, but makes a huge difference. So my only advice would be to keep on top of lab work, if your module has one.
    Yeah I’m interested in Stirling subject to an offer. I live on the east coast of Scotland, near St.Andrews, so it wouldn’t be an overwhelming distance away. I have applied for International Politics which looks quite interesting at Stirling, and the uni looks good for sports.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I’m interested in Stirling subject to an offer. I live on the east coast of Scotland, near St.Andrews, so it wouldn’t be an overwhelming distance away. I have applied for International Politics which looks quite interesting at Stirling, and the uni looks good for sports.
    That's cool. Yeah, Stirling genuinely has been great for me. And while what I'm saying is strictly anecdotal, I've never come across anyone bashing Stirling. Everyone seems to have really liked it. That sounds pretty interesting.

The sports facilities are excellent. I use the athletics track for sprint training, and the gym and stuff. They're really good. The gym is £95 for a year for students, which is also really neat.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm applying for Film & Media. I visited Stirling Uni twice and I loved it. Applying as a EU student.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm an international student and I have an offer of MSc Data Science for Business. Also I have an offer from Brunel University London.
    Honestly, I didn't make a decision yet, and I hope that you can help

Thank you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.