Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently working at an investment bank in London in the finance division in product control. Graduated from Bristol uni (studied accounting and finance). Feel free to ask any questions, feel like giving back a bit to a very useful forum. I remember the times when I used to go on here for careers advice lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MoSaqib)
    Working at an investment bank in London in the finance division in product control. Graduated from Bristol uni (studied accounting and finance).
    Idc
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reece.W.J)
    Idc
    Cared enough to post this though, interesting

ReputationRep:
    Do you think students from Oxbridge/LSE/ UCL have an easier time getting into high-finance than those that go to Bristol, Bath, KCL or Exeter?

Just wondering as I'm considering the opportunity cost of taking a year out to increase the odds of a successful Oxford application next year. Also is PPE a course conducive to i-banking?

ReputationRep:
    Working at an investment bank in London in the finance division in product control. Graduated from Bristol uni (studied accounting and finance).
    I have a few since i see myself following a similar path

What are the hours like?
    How is pay?
    Was it easy to get into your job after uni?
    How did you find your degree?

ReputationRep:
    Typical day?

ReputationRep:
    Cared enough to post this though, interesting
    Not at all
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hirsty97)
    Do you think students from Oxbridge/LSE/ UCL have an easier time getting into high-finance than those that go to Bristol, Bath, KCL or Exeter?

Just wondering as I'm considering the opportunity cost of taking a year out to increase the odds of a successful Oxford application next year. Also is PPE a course conducive to i-banking?
    What subjects do you do?

ReputationRep:
    do I need A Level further maths to get where you are

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BBBBBBBI)
    What subjects do you do?
    Maths and Btec business with completed a levels in history and English Literature. Received two Cs. Predicted D*x3 and A* in first two. Would take a gap year to study economics under the new module to an A* standard while travelling to enhance my language capabilities. Even though PPE requriements say Dx3 and A at A level, I doubt that would suffice because of how competitive it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hirsty97)

Depends on the division. In IBD, definitely. In finance, not so much.
    PPE will get you into any banking job, especially if it's Oxford or LSE PPE.
    (Original post by BenMurphy11)
    I have a few since i see myself following a similar path

What are the hours like?
    How is pay?
    Was it easy to get into your job after uni?
    How did you find your degree?
    Hours are 8-6, 5 days a week usually, but I'm also training for the ACA qualification so I can leave earlier to study.
    Base pay is in the thirties plus you get a small bonus (don't want to go into specifics). I've only been working there for a few months.
    I did an internship which was quite hard to get into, involved numerical tests plus multiple interviews and a presentation. Once I finished the internship, everyone in the finance division including me got a full time offer. So once you get the internship it's pretty straightforward.
    My degree was quite easy, allowed me to pursue extracurricular interests and find out more about different careers I might be interested in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ganjaweed Rebel)
    Typical day?
    Pretty much like this
    http://mralexli216.blogspot.co.uk/20...ontroller.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maaaths)
    do I need A Level further maths to get where you are
    No

ReputationRep:
    What A Levels did you do

ReputationRep:
    How many years of this slavery do you have to put up with until you get to do fulfilling work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maaaths)
    What A Levels did you do
    Maths, economics, physics

ReputationRep:
    How many years of this slavery do you have to put up with until you get to do fulfilling work?
    I find it fulfilling. If you like working with numbers and don't want too much stress this is a good job to have. I'm satisfied with it. I don't see how it's 'slavery'- I'm being paid and I like the job, unlike a slave

ReputationRep:
    Maths, economics, physics
    I'm doing maths economics and philosophy&ethics, will that put me at a disadvantage for getting into a good uni for an economics, finance or ppe degree

ReputationRep:
    I find it fulfilling. If you like working with numbers and don't want too much stress this is a good job to have. I'm satisfied with it. I don't see how it's 'slavery'- I'm being paid and I like the job.
    An payroll ''accountant'' operating sage works with numbers, that doesn't make it fulfilling.

ReputationRep:
    An payroll ''accountant'' operating sage works with numbers, that doesn't make it fulfilling.
    Yeah but if a job fits your skills and interests, surely you'd find it fulfilling?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.