Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey Student Finance England,

I was born and raised in Bermuda. I have a valid British passport and NI number.

What does Ordinarily Resident mean for students coming to the UK to study part time ?

Eventually, I would like to study at university in the U.K. How can a part time (Overseas) student fulfill the residence requirements ?

I look forward to receiving your response on this issue.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by AlonsoMarch)
    Hey Student Finance England,

I was born and raised in Bermuda. I have a valid British passport and NI number.

What does Ordinarily Resident mean for students coming to the UK to study part time ?

Eventually, I would like to study at university in the U.K. How can a part time (Overseas) student fulfill the residence requirements ?

I look forward to receiving your response on this issue.
    Hi Alonso,

Students from British Overseas Territories are classed as UK Nationals and should apply as such, however you need to have 3 years residency in the UK prior to the start of your course in order to qualify for funding.

Thanks

Louise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise E SFE)
    Hi Alonso,

Students from British Overseas Territories are classed as UK Nationals and should apply as such, however you need to have 3 years residency in the UK prior to the start of your course in order to qualify for funding.

Thanks

Louise
    Thank you for the information, Ms.Louise.

Does this mean that I can study and work part time for 3 years in the U.K and then apply for university funding ?

I just need this to be clarified.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Thank you for the information, Ms.Louise.

Does this mean that I can study and work part time for 3 years in the U.K and then apply for university funding ?

I just need this to be clarified.
    Hi AlonsoMarch,

To qualify for Higher Education support as a home student, you must meet the following standard residency requirements:

• Must be ordinarily resident in the UK for 3 years prior to the first day of the first academic year of the course and
    • be ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of the first academic year of the course.

Thanks

Louise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise E SFE)
    Hi AlonsoMarch,

To qualify for Higher Education support as a home student, you must meet the following standard residency requirements:

• Must be ordinarily resident in the UK for 3 years prior to the first day of the first academic year of the course and
    • be ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of the first academic year of the course.

Thanks

Louise
    From your experience and understanding, what does the term Ordinarily Resident mean by Student Fiance England? I'm not sure exactly.

I believe it means living and working in the U.K. for an extended amount of time.

Kindest Regards,

A.M
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    From your experience and understanding, what does the term Ordinarily Resident mean by Student Fiance England? I'm not sure exactly.

I believe it means living and working in the U.K. for an extended amount of time.

Kindest Regards,

A.M
    Hi AlonsoMarch,

Ordinary Residence means, broadly, living in the UK on a lawful, voluntary and properly settled basis for the time being.

Thanks

Katie

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.