Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So by tomorrow i will need to have paid for my new car insurance, its a little bit of a piss take after one year of paying for my car insurance it now goes up in price, why?!

I have the choice of paying for a black box (cheaper by £200) or without black box..

What are the advantages and disadvantages pf having a black box, is it worth the £200 difference?

Also can someone please tell me where i can get cheap insurance from?? Id really appreciate it
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AOF1004)
    So by tomorrow i will need to have paid for my new car insurance, its a little bit of a piss take after one year of paying for my car insurance it now goes up in price, why?!

I have the choice of paying for a black box (cheaper by £200) or without black box..

What are the advantages and disadvantages pf having a black box, is it worth the £200 difference?

Also can someone please tell me where i can get cheap insurance from?? Id really appreciate it
    Hi there!

This thread should be in the Cars and motoring forum. I'll just tag AngryJellyfish to get this moved over there

I'd avoid black box insurances, if it's only a £200 difference, then it's a no-brainer to go non black-box.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoyalSheepy)
    Hi there!

This thread should be in the Cars and motoring forum. I'll just tag @AngryJellyfish to get this moved over there

I'd avoid black box insurances, if it's only a £200 difference, then it's a no-brainer to go non black-box.
    Oh thank you didnt know about that forum

Whats the advantages and disadvantages of having a black box.. sorry really dont know much about this, personally i wouldnt want a black box because i dont really want to be monitored every second when i drive, however im some what tight for money
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AOF1004)
    Oh thank you didnt know about that forum

Whats the advantages and disadvantages of having a black box.. sorry really dont know much about this, personally i wouldnt want a black box because i dont really want to be monitored every second when i drive, however im some what tight for money
    Advantages

- None really, apart from cheaper insurance most of the time.

Disadvantages

- Limited for miles (although you are anyways with no Black Box, but there's no way of the insurer telling really),
    - Penalised for harsh acceleration/braking (even if your braking for something which ran out onto the road, which may result to your policy being terminated),
    - Buying more miles is expensive for Black Box insurance,
    - Some Black Box companies give curfews on when you can drive.

The list could go on and on...

IWMTom

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.