Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So by tomorrow i will need to have paid for my new car insurance, its a little bit of a piss take after one year of paying for my car insurance it now goes up in price, why?!

I have the choice of paying for a black box (cheaper by £200) or without black box..

What are the advantages and disadvantages pf having a black box, is it worth the £200 difference?

Also can someone please tell me where i can get cheap insurance from?? Id really appreciate it
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    What does £200 mean to you? Is £200 a lot of money for you, or could you think "Pah it's just £200" ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Internet)
    What does £200 mean to you? Is £200 a lot of money for you, or could you think "Pah it's just £200" ?
    I can afford the £200 if your asking however i am tight for money at the moment id rather spend that money on something else, however i would prefer not to have a black box because i dont want to be monitored all the time.. are black boxes worth it or not really, what happens if you exceed the limit without knowing will i get fined

How do black boxes work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AOF1004)
    I can afford the £200 if your asking however i am tight for money at the moment id rather spend that money on something else, however i would prefer not to have a black box because i dont want to be monitored all the time.. are black boxes worth it or not really, what happens if you exceed the limit without knowing will i get fined

How do black boxes work?
    Well, it isn't just about being able to afford it, but exactly how much you're willing to spend, regardless of affordability

Tbh, I've never not had a black box, and they've been fine. They do monitor your driving, and they only really penalise you if you drive excessively over the speed limit. I've driven over the speed limit. I think I'll be quite close to my whole 8,000 miles/year though! Though you do get up to 100 miles extra/month on my policy for good driving which is good (You can also get 0)

You're not penalised...per se, for driving at night on this policy, but it does affect how many "free" miles you get.

Exceeding the limit as in the speed limit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AOF1004)
    So by tomorrow i will need to have paid for my new car insurance, its a little bit of a piss take after one year of paying for my car insurance it now goes up in price, why?!

I have the choice of paying for a black box (cheaper by £200) or without black box..

What are the advantages and disadvantages pf having a black box, is it worth the £200 difference?

Also can someone please tell me where i can get cheap insurance from?? Id really appreciate it
    Personally I wouldn't touch a black box with a 10 foot barge pole.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    Personally I wouldn't touch a black box with a 10 foot barge pole.
    Why so? There was one occasion where a black box actually SAVED me. Some twit decided to say I was involved in a multi car collision (with their car) I wasn't, and the black box did show I was elsewhere at the time. Not that far away, but still. I think they got random registration numbers and said "x person did it"

I'd probably go for standard insurance if the cost difference was say..£100 though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Internet)
    Why so? There was one occasion where a black box actually SAVED me. Some twit decided to say I was involved in a multi car collision (with their car) I wasn't, and the black box did show I was elsewhere at the time. Not that far away, but still. I think they got random registration numbers and said "x person did it"
    You might have been lucky on that occasion,.
    But normally they are more trouble than they are worth. They are often either the same price or more expensive, so you aren't actually saving anything by having one. There have been several reports about the black boxes going wrong- for example the boxes saying the driver was speeding down x road when the car was either on the drive all along or driving under the limit along y road. The boxes giving false scores, and even parents etc driving the cars and being unable to make the scores move etc. These aren't the odd person being unlucky with them, its a well documented problem.
    And there are things like curfews and mileage limits which make them not viable for some people due to things like having to travel to work, college, placements etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    You might have been lucky on that occasion,.
    But normally they are more trouble than they are worth. They are often either the same price or more expensive, so you aren't actually saving anything by having one. There have been several reports about the black boxes going wrong- for example the boxes saying the driver was speeding down x road when the car was either on the drive all along or driving under the limit along y road. The boxes giving false scores, and even parents etc driving the cars and being unable to make the scores move etc. These aren't the odd person being unlucky with them, its a well documented problem.
    And there are things like curfews and mileage limits which make them not viable for some people due to things like having to travel to work, college, placements etc.
    Hmm I've never had it that they're the same price tbh. Also, you're right there. My box has recorded me as speeding when I haven't...Mileage limits / curfews depend on the provider, in fairness. My insurer frowns upon it, but they don't stop you from doing so. Mileage limit is the standard 8000 miles/year, up to 10000 miles/year. I think it can go up to 15K?

ReputationRep:
    Picking up my Fiesta ST tomorrow and there is no way in hell I would put a black box in it, nor would I put one in any car I own. Genuinely amazed so many people are fitting these boxes tbh.

Had a look at some of the policies for black boxes and although they have the potential to be the cheapest insurance option, the cover you were getting from most of the providers was horrendous.

ReputationRep:
    I have a black box with Admiral
    They don't show exact speeds, but it's never told me I've been speeding, just shows mileage for each journey, average speed and then journey time
    I do quite a bit of night time driving and I've never been penalised for it (Constantly got gold, few silver, journeys)
    A black box lowered my insurance quote by about 300, and then on my renewal another 170 came off (made my insurance the cheapest I could find)

ReputationRep:
    I think black boxes are brill for new drivers, I saved so much money by having one and I get money back if I drive well so it’s a win win. Only problems I have are, 20mph speed limits, cornering, as I live in the countryside so there’s lots of bends so I always get problems with my cornering. My car insurance halved for my second year due to the box so in the long term it’s way more beneficial.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.