Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why did my car insurance go up in price after a year? Watch

ReputationRep:
    After my first year of driving i now have to pay for insurance again, however the price has gone up? Why??! Can someone tell me why?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Moved to cars and motoring
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Any change in circumstance this year vs last? (Different job, quoting a greater mileage, different postcode etc.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AOF1004)
    After my first year of driving i now have to pay for insurance again, however the price has gone up? Why??! Can someone tell me why?
    Get quotes from elsewhere. Companies seem to give better deals to new customers than they do existing ones.
    Also make sure there arent any changes in your circumstances that might make it go up.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    There can be various different factors which in-turn has caused a premium increase. Examples can be: Increase in crime rate in the area, Increase RTC in the area, you've crashed within the last 5 years, .etc.

ReputationRep:
    You get a first year discount with most insurers. Move insurer.

ReputationRep:
    Very common for car insurers to put your premium up, even if you haven't claimed. They hope you'll just renew. Get some alternative quotes to see whether it's time to switch insurers.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    As above, renewal quotes are notoriously bad value - switch insurer every year.

Do bear in mind that IPT rose significantly a few months ago.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.