Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Don't want to go Uni and too scared for apprenticeship? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Im in my 2nd year of a-levels and I dont want to go to Uni. I'm predicted ABB so everyone keeps telling me to go. I would rather do a degree apprenticeship/higher apprenticeship however i suffer from really bad anxiety & social anxiety. Im deathly afraid of giving an interview as I have never done so in my life. I feel like im not qualified as Ive never had a real job due to all my focus going on my grades. Apprenticeships seem really competitive and there are going to be people applying who will be more experienced and essentially better personality wise (confident, bold, outgoing). What do I do? I really want to be successful I just really hate my anxiety.

ReputationRep:
    Why are you so against going to uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Avaia)
    Why are you so against going to uni?
    The thought of spending another 3/4 years in education doesn't appeal to me, as well as coming out with £40K debt, with no guarantee of a job in my desired field :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prprprpr)
    The thought of spending another 3/4 years in education doesn't appeal to me, as well as coming out with £40K debt, with no guarantee of a job in my desired field :/
    I guess that makes sense With your anxiety, you could try to get a friend to do a mock interview with you? there is no real quick fix for it unfortunately, I would suggest that you try to slowly put yourself into more social situations, so go out to public events more and try to talk to more people, slowly build your communication and confidence up.
    What field do you wish to go into?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Avaia)
    I guess that makes sense With your anxiety, you could try to get a friend to do a mock interview with you? there is no real quick fix for it unfortunately, I would suggest that you try to slowly put yourself into more social situations, so go out to public events more and try to talk to more people, slowly build your communication and confidence up.
    What field do you wish to go into?
    It's weird because when I'm with my friends I am the loudest, craziest and carefree person, but when I'm around strangers I become so quiet and nervous! & Marketing/Advertising

ReputationRep:
    It's weird because when I'm with my friends I am the loudest, craziest and carefree person, but when I'm around strangers I become so quiet and nervous! & Marketing/Advertising
    Hmmm, maybe that is just a confidence issue. Try to push yourself a little more to engage with strangers, even if it is just at a coffee shop or say you are buying something, make a point to ask the clerk how they are doing and wish them a good day etc, such simple act of communication can really do a lot

Hmmm, maybe try to get some work experience in that field and then go for an apprenticeship? There are many charities out there who look for social media managers and people to help them with graphic design and what not, it would be a good base to get you started

ReputationRep:
    Im in my 2nd year of a-levels and I dont want to go to Uni. I'm predicted ABB so everyone keeps telling me to go. I would rather do a degree apprenticeship/higher apprenticeship however i suffer from really bad anxiety & social anxiety. Im deathly afraid of giving an interview as I have never done so in my life. I feel like im not qualified as Ive never had a real job due to all my focus going on my grades. Apprenticeships seem really competitive and there are going to be people applying who will be more experienced and essentially better personality wise (confident, bold, outgoing). What do I do? I really want to be successful I just really hate my anxiety.
    Unfortunatley virtually all options other than university will involve an interview to get them, however some are more informal than others. I agree with aviaa that charity volunteering might be the way to go- charities are always looking for volunteers whether in shops or in back offices and it can help increase your confidence no end.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.