The Student Room Group

Another line integral question

I know that the answer can't be zero by visualising the vector field, but I'm not sure where I've gone wrong!

Reply 1
Original post by Plagioclase
I know that the answer can't be zero by visualising the vector field, but I'm not sure where I've gone wrong!

I can't claim to remember enough about this to know if your method is correct or not (no reason to think it isn't, I simply can't remember the details). But could the problem be your F.(dx/dt) line, where you appear to be claiming that sin^2 t + cos^2 t = 0?
Original post by Pangol
But could the problem be your F.(dx/dt) line, where you appear to be claiming that sin^2 t + cos^2 t = 0?

It's an identity though so why wouldn't that be true?
Reply 3

Should be 1 rather than 0, surely?
Original post by Pangol
Should be 1 rather than 0, surely?

I'm an idiot, thanks :lol:
Reply 5

It equals 1, not 0.
Reply 6
I'm an idiot, thanks :lol:

It's always the easy stuff, isn't it? And this seems to happen more often as the complexity of the rest of the question increases...

damn, what level is this?
Uni Maths?
Original post by joyoustele
damn, what level is this?
Uni Maths?

It's part of my third-year geology course but I believe this is taught in first-year physics?
Reply 9
It's part of my third-year geology course but I believe this is taught in first-year physics?

I'm genuinely interested in why you would need this for such a course. I'm sure that this is down to my ignorence as to what a geology degree entails, but please enlighten me!
Original post by Pangol
I'm genuinely interested in why you would need this for such a course. I'm sure that this is down to my ignorence as to what a geology degree entails, but please enlighten me!

Vector calculus is important for things like geodynamics and geophysical fluid dynamics!

Edit: My course isn't actually called geology, it's just easier than explaining what Earth Sciences is.
Vector calculus is important for things like geodynamics and geophysical fluid dynamics!

Edit: My course isn't actually called geology, it's just easier than explaining what Earth Sciences is.

Is this Geophysics at Oxford?
Original post by Pangol
I can envisage anything where you want to calculate things like heat distributions (or gravity, for that matter) will involve you needing to be familiar with vector calculus. But yeah, I'm interested too, although I think it's likely the gory details won't have been made apparent to Plagioclase yet!
Reply 13

Makes perfect sense, thank you. So, geology is a real science after all... (BBT ref, please don't get upset!)

Quick Reply

Latest